• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

it's ALWAYS texas!

liblady

pirate lover
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Censorship Dispute: Texas School District Bans Author - Yahoo! News

Each winter, Humble Independent School District, located in a suburb northwest of Houston, hosts a literary festival. The all-day celebration of books, which alternates yearly between a children's literature and a teen lit event, has quickly grown into one of the nation's leading festivals. Last January's "Peace, Love & Books" gala at Creekwood Middle School featured nationally acclaimed authors and illustrators and drew hundreds of children and families, despite the damp weather.

But this school year, there will be no such celebration of books. Not because of budget cuts, and certainly not because of lack of interest. This school year's teen literature festival has been canceled because of a string of events that followed the banning last month of best-selling young-adult author Ellen Hopkins - just in time for the controversy to ripen for Banned Books Week, which is commemorated during the last week of September. (See the top 10 banned books.)

good for the authors who bowed out.

I NEVER understood why people went to such lengths to ban books. It does NOTHING but call attention to the work, add an air of taboo about it. Hell, half of the books I own are on SOMEONE'S banned list. A lot of them I bought for that express reason.

When are people going to realize that the fact that they don't like something is not sufficient reason to prevent others from enjoying it.

When are people going to realize that the fact that they don't like something is not sufficient reason to prevent others from enjoying it.

I'm going to see what I can do about banning you and deleting your post.

Back
Top Bottom