• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

It's all in the numbers...

Heretic

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Someone finally figured out the number of scientists that would have to be either wrong or involved in "the conspiracy" if AGW wasn't a real phenomenon:

You cannot hold the belief that global warming isn't happening without also believing that the scientists who study it are either incompetent or conspiring to defraud the public or a combination of both. I think many people who hold this belief aren't aware of the vast number of people involved. This isn't 12 pointy-headed scientists that have come up with this idea. Anthropogenic global warming is supported by data gathered by a vast array of people.

So how many people are involved in this Grand Conspiracy to defraud Americans?

. . .

From the most honored members of the National Academies, down to graduate students who are members of the American Meteorological Society. Roughly 60,000+ scientists would need to be involved. 60,000+ scientists keeping a secret that is so massive that they are able to defraud the world.

Now keep in mind, to hold the position that global warming isn't occurring and isn't caused by manmade carbon emissions you must also hold that 60,000+ scientists are so conspiring to defraud Americans. (The most common accusation I have read is that they are merely in it for the grant dollars).

So either 60,000+ scientists are defrauding the world and Michael Crichton has managed to figure it out on his own, or 60,000+ scientists are actually doing their jobs, and have shown that global warming is happening and is caused my manmade carbon emissions.

:shock:

And Seed magazine has an impressive image detailing the interrelationships between the different scientific paradigms (climate change science isn't a single field).

scimap.jpg

This map was constructed by sorting roughly 800,000 published papers into 776 different scientific paradigms (shown as pale circular nodes) based on how often the papers were cited together by authors of other papers. Links (curved black lines) were made between the paradigms that shared papers, then treated as rubber bands, holding similar paradigms nearer one another when a physical simulation forced every paradigm to repel every other; thus the layout derives directly from the data. Larger paradigms have more papers; node proximity and darker links indicate how many papers are shared between two paradigms. Flowing labels list common words unique to each paradigm, large labels general areas of scientific inquiry.

'Course, this doesn't adequately reflect the size and scope of The Cabal, and needed some subsequent recalibration:

mann.png

Oh, how I love conspiracy theories. :lol:

WOW! You sooo made me a believer! I mean, after all, it's not about grant money and gravy trains.. no, it's an evil consperiacy debunked!

/sarcasm, it's what makes life life.

WOW! You sooo made me a believer! I mean, after all, it's not about grant money and gravy trains.. no, it's an evil consperiacy debunked!

/sarcasm, it's what makes life life.

I have witnessed the grant money/gravy train scenario first hand....
A lot of money is wasted proving what we already know, or think we know.
I would suggest that grant/gravy goes only to those who come up with something NEW, not a rehash of what is old, true or not...

I have witnessed the grant money/gravy train scenario first hand....
A lot of money is wasted proving what we already know, or think we know.
I would suggest that grant/gravy goes only to those who come up with something NEW, not a rehash of what is old, true or not...

HERETIC! BLASPHEEEEEMER!!!!!

You should be BANNED AT THE STAKE for such talk!

I know global warming exists. I just want to know 2 things:

1. Is it caused by us? If so, by how much?
2. If it isn't us causing it, who is?
3. Is it normal? Like, does it go in cycles.

And no, Al Gore doesn't cut it.

Back
Top Bottom