• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It's all Cheney/Bush's fault

Contaminated beaches are definitely relevant evidence of a failed containment plan; a plan approved under the previous administration's watch. Hence, Cheney/Bush's fault.

If there is a need to lay the blame for the BP spill on the door step of U.S. President, then we need to Look at James Buchanan. He was president when the first oil well was drilled in 1859 in Pennsylvania.

… There's no way in hell that "action plan" paperwork was going to prevent this leak. It's like blaming Silverstein for the collapse of the Twin Towers because he didn't follow a city regulation that required him to place a fire extinguisher in each stairwell.

The analogy would be blaming Silverstein for building the Twin Towers at all having failed to provide any form of adequate emergency evacuation plan. And, yes, the buildings would not have been built if there had been credible plan. Period. Except maybe if George W. Bush had been mayor of NYC; then, yes, probably.

Contaminated beaches are definitely relevant evidence of a failed containment plan; a plan approved under the previous administration's watch. Hence, Cheney/Bush's fault.

You're perfectly content with admitting that Obama sat back and did nothing, while it left the general welfare of American citizens in the hands of a greedy and evil coporation?

To my knowledge the Obama administration has been highly proactive through the fire and spill; do you have evidence to the contrary?

To my knowledge the Obama administration has been highly proactive through the fire and spill; do you have evidence to the contrary?

We can only lead a horse to water. :shrug:

Even your boys olberman and mathews are fed up with Obama's failure in this.

You're perfectly content with admitting that Obama sat back and did nothing, while it left the general welfare of American citizens in the hands of a greedy and evil coporation?

We can only lead a horse to water. :shrug:

Even your boys olberman and mathews are fed up with Obama's failure in this.

So, no, no you don't have evidence. You're just trying to make political hay. Got it.

WHAT SHOULD OBAMA HAVE DONE?
How could he, or anyone else, have anticipated this particular problem?
How do we pay for anticipating, and preparing for, every potential disaster?

I think Gulliani on "Morning Joe" said it perfectly. Obama should NOT have relied on BP (think Reagan's "trust but verify") assessment of the disaster once it occurred. His administration was and is responsible for the safety of, disaster planning and protection of the coasts of this country. The MMS provided awards to BP just prior to this disaster occurring --- so what should he have done?

Gulliani said, he should have brought BP's competitors and experts from around the world (this isn't the only deep water spill that ever occurred) and verify and consult right away --- say in the first 5-10 days. Obama's administration should have known that BP has a vested interest in downplaying such an accident and had plans on how to defend the ecology and state's coastlines ready. The White House, given this new perspective from these experts, may then have taken up offers of assistance from other country's and lifted the Jone's Act restrictions earlier and may have been more open to requests of State's governors to additional steps like burms and protections of wetlands. These two new Czars he's appointed might also have been assigned much earlier. Obama then might have taken much stricter actions earlier, and shown actual leadership on the issue informing the American people of the plans to protect our coasts and not instead, gone on an Oval Office address percieved to push yet more political agenda items.

He simply didn't know what to do, was over his head and had no experience leading ... not his fault. It's really OUR fault as the American people for voting for him and approving him as our President. Shame on us --- and this is what we get. :shrug:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036789/

Last edited:

1994 disaster plan called for by law to have equipment and people ready for such a disaster.

He during his presidency thus far has suggested gutting the coast guard of its capability to mitigate such damage, did not fix the MMR situation, Gave the rig a safety award, did not fix the 1994 plan, and approved an extension of the lease I believe of this rig.

There was plenty of things prior to this that we must shake our heads at.

I think Gulliani on "Morning Joe" said it perfectly. Obama should NOT have relied on BP (think Reagan's "trust but verify") assessment of the disaster once it occurred. His administration was and is responsible for the safety of, disaster planning and protection of the coasts of this country. The MMS provided awards to BP just prior to this disaster occurring --- so what should he have done?

Gulliani said, he should have brought BP's competitors and experts from around the world (this isn't the only deep water spill that ever occurred) and verify and consult right away --- say in the first 5-10 days. Obama's administration should have known that BP has a vested interest in downplaying such an accident and had plans on how to defend the ecology and state's coastlines ready. The White House, given this new perspective from these experts, may then have taken up offers of assistance from other country's and lifted the Jone's Act restrictions earlier and may have been more open to requests of State's governors to additional steps like burms and protections of wetlands. These two new Czars he's appointed might also have been assigned much earlier. Obama then might have taken much stricter actions earlier, and shown actual leadership on the issue informing the American people of the plans to protect our coasts and not instead, gone on an Oval Office address percieved to push yet more political agenda items.

He simply didn't know what to do, was over his head and had no experience leading ... not his fault. It's really OUR fault as the American people for voting for him and approving him as our President. Shame on us --- and this is what we get. :shrug:

Morning Joe
Said it before, saying it again, the only reason Obama is in office is because the GOP was doing a poor job. Whichever party is in power, they get too enamored of the power aspect, and forget about the responsibility aspect.

1994 disaster plan called for by law to have equipment and people ready for such a disaster.

He during his presidency thus far has suggested gutting the coast guard of its capability to mitigate such damage, did not fix the MMR situation, Gave the rig a safety award, did not fix the 1994 plan, and approved an extension of the lease I believe of this rig.

You have links, of course. Never heard of the POTUS giving out safety awards before, for one thing.

He didn't fix what he didn't know was broken? That is your offering? GWB and Katrina comes to mind. Everyone in the New Orleans area knew disaster was brewing, but nobody stepped up with a warning. I suppose he should have a plan ready in case the volcano under Yellowstone goes ballistic next week?
If it holds off til we get a republican in the white house, will he have a plan?

You have links, of course. Never heard of the POTUS giving out safety awards before, for one thing.

It's been covered before.

Government mishandled oil spill | greenbaypressgazette.com | Green Bay Press Gazette

Obama Admin Gave BP Rig 'SAFETY AWARD' Last Year Investigation Not As Claimed | Before It's News

And this one indicate HE was to give out said award.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/04/30/in-ironic-twist-bp-finalist-for-pollution-prevention-award/

:shrug:

He didn't fix what he didn't know was broken? That is your offering? GWB and Katrina comes to mind. Everyone in the New Orleans area knew disaster was brewing, but nobody stepped up with a warning. I suppose he should have a plan ready in case the volcano under Yellowstone goes ballistic next week?
If it holds off til we get a republican in the white house, will he have a plan?

Uhm he wanted to gut the coast guard:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...st-guard-personnel-harm-readiness-crises.html

And as shown the admin gave this rig a safety award.

so the please of "ignorance" is silly, are you suggesting that no one while they were looking for things to gut, and while he was ginning up support from BP for cap and trade didn't notice the 1994 plan was out of wack or that the MMS was a renagade dept?

If we are to believe this, then it's incompetence.

There is no excuse and I don't care which party he is in regards to this.

Last edited:

You go from "cut" to "gut", how do you do that?
MMS may have been prepared to make an award, but that doesn't mean Obama even knew about it.
Years ago, when Reagan was the president, I was working at a govt owned but civilian operated nuclear facility in Idaho. For safety awards, we had a choice of several items, one being a folding knive, which I chose. I cut myself with it. We should have impeached Reagan, right?

You go from "cut" to "gut", how do you do that?

Use it synonymously. :shrug:

MMS may have been prepared to make an award, but that doesn't mean Obama even knew about it.

/facepalm

third link, I believe he was supposed to give it.

Years ago, when Reagan was the president, I was working at a govt owned but civilian operated nuclear facility in Idaho. For safety awards, we had a choice of several items, one being a folding knive, which I chose. I cut myself with it. We should have impeached Reagan, right?

This red herring is quite the straw man. If you isolate each one of my points you have an argument, however if you look at the culmination of the facts I presented you have to see that Obama here truly screwed the pooch... I'll also add, I don't think Bush would have done that much better, however, we do know from history, that at least the jones act would have been lifted two months earlier than Obama did.

Boy, you got to hand it to the conservative commentators; this whole canard about failing to waive the Jones Act is one of the most cynical tactics of all time. The idea that the president would refuse foreign nations' offers to assist us in cleaning up the spill is bizarre. It's insane on its face. It's the right-wing freak show in full voice!

“While we have not seen any need to waive the Jones Act as part of this historic response, we continue to prepare for all possible scenarios. Should any waivers be needed, we are prepared to process them as quickly as possible to allow vital spill response activities being undertaken by foreign-flagged vessels to continue without delay.” — National Incident Commander Admiral Thad Allen, June 15, 2010¹

Excerpted from “Admiral Allen Provides Guidance to Ensure Expedited Jones Act Waiver Processing Should It Be Needed,” Press Release, Deepwater Horizon Incident, Joint Information Center, June 15, 2010 10:14:59 CST
[SIZE="+2"]C[/SIZE]urrently, 15 foreign-flagged vessels are involved in the largest response to an oil spill in U.S. history. No Jones Act waivers have been granted because none of these vessels have required such a waiver to conduct their operations in the Gulf of Mexico.

However, in order to prepare for any potential need, Admiral Allen has provided guidance to the Coast Guard Federal On-Scene Coordinator, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), and the U.S. Maritime Administration to ensure any Jones Act waiver requests receive urgent attention and processing.

To date, the administration has leveraged assets and skills from numerous foreign countries and international organizations as part of this historic, all-hands-on-deck response, including Canada, Germany, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, the United Nations’ International Maritime Organization and the European Union’s Monitoring and Information Centre. In some cases, offers of international assistance have been turned down because the offer didn’t fit the needs of the response.

Boy, you got to hand it to the conservative commentators; this whole canard about failing to waive the Jones Act is one of the most cynical tactics of all time. The idea that the president would refuse foreign nations' offers to assist us in cleaning up the spill is bizarre. It's insane on its face. It's the right-wing freak show in full voice!

“While we have not seen any need to waive the Jones Act as part of this historic response, we continue to prepare for all possible scenarios. Should any waivers be needed, we are prepared to process them as quickly as possible to allow vital spill response activities being undertaken by foreign-flagged vessels to continue without delay.” — National Incident Commander Admiral Thad Allen, June 15, 2010¹

So you are denying that the dutch offered to send 4 skimmers and the obama administration sent a "thanks but no thanks" letter only then to turn around 2 months later and accept them?

I just want you on record before I destroy you. :lamo

So you are denying that the dutch offered to send 4 skimmers and the obama administration sent a "thanks but no thanks" letter only then to turn around 2 months later and accept them?

I just want you on record before I destroy you. :lamo

Let's do this! :boxer

Excerpted from “US Searches for Oil Cleanup Aid Abroad, Two Notices Sent Worldwide Since Spill Began” By Kirit Radia, “Political Punch,” ABC News, June 15, 2010 5:28 PM
[SIZE="+2"]W[/SIZE]ithin days of the spill, unsolicited a dozen countries and international organizations offered assistance to the US. That later expanded to 17 countries, and today the State Department announced that an 18th country, Qatar, has offered containment boom.

Of those countries, the US has accepted aid so far from four nations: Mexico, Canada, Norway, and the Netherlands.

The Mexican offer of two skimmers and 13,780 feet of boom and Norway’s offer of eight skimming systems were accepted in early May, according to the State Department. The Dutch offer of three sets of Koseq Rigid Sweeping Arms was accepted on May 23 and Canada’s offer of 9,843 feet of containment boom was accepted on June 4, the department said in a statement yesterday.

Asked why the US has not accepted more international offers of assistance, the State Department has said that the size and distance of those items plays a role, but also whether any cost is associated.

“For the most part, they are offers to sell supplies. And in determining whether to accept these offers, we look at the availability of domestic sources and also, you know, compare pricing on the open market,” State Department spokesman PJ Crowley told reporters.

“So that's maybe one of the reasons why in some cases, we've been able to accept these offers and pursued them,” he added. “We continue to identify, you know, sources of important equipment that will be needed for this -- to handle this over the long term.”

Let's do this! :boxer

I see honesty is a tough one for you....

as of june 15th sure. But what about back in april 58 days ago. FAIL

Why is the coast guard holding up boats for life jackets?

Why did it take 58 days for the administration to accept the dutch skimmers?

"mein party uber alles" eh chappy?

LOL! The right-wing freak show is really cranking it out these days!

There was no 58 day delay in seeking and accepting foreign assistance as I have already documented.

ABC News failed to completely report about the Coast Gourd's actions regarding the barges and missing safety equipment; and, compounding an ecological catastrophe with an unnecessary human tragedy would be the real failure. Firemen check their equipment before entering burning buildings because they know that getting themselves killed doesn't help fire victims. And, by the way, the safety equipment was missing.

Excerpted from “ABC's purposefully misleading Gulf Coast report?,” June 18, 2010 9:19 am ET by Eric Boehlert, Media Matters of America
[SIZE="+2"]A[/SIZE]BC left out any explanation as to why the barges were temporarily docked. Instead, viewers were left with the impression that the clueless Coast Guard ordered the barges to stop cleaning up the Gulf for no reason at all.

Dutch offers of assistance were accepted early in the response, not late, as you claim, see this report.

But, this thread is about Cheney/Bush and their responsibility in the Deep Water Horizon catastrophe ever happening in the first place. You appear to be have accepted the thread premise, it's all their fault, since all you do now is throw mud at the wall to see what sticks to the administration that followed them.

I guess it must be a real disappointment for you that this administration has shown some competency in handling disasters. Another pleasant improvement over Cheney/Bush, I must say.

So no letter was sent to the dutch saying thanks but no thanks?

It's pathetic how the extreme left will circle the wagons in the face of this failure of thier boy.

Back
Top Bottom