• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Its all but a done deal.........

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
The Senate just voted by 72-22 for cloiture in the nomination of Judge Alito.....There will be a vote for his confirmation at 0800 hours tomorrow...This vote will only require a simple majority as specified by the U.S. Constitution and Judge Alito will be confirmed easily.......

This is a huge victory for President Bush and for Conservatives in the USA and a staggering defeat for Liberals........

Navy Pride said:
The Senate just voted by 72-22 for cloiture in the nomination of Judge Alito.....There will be a vote for his confirmation at 0800 hours tomorrow...This vote will only require a simple majority as specified by the U.S. Constitution and Judge Alito will be confirmed easily.......

This is a huge victory for President Bush and for Conservatives in the USA and a staggering defeat for Liberals........

What's more, the Democrats have established the precedent of opposing a Supreme Court nominee entirely on ideological grounds. (No, the Republicans did NOT do that in the past.) They're not in a position to cry foul if it gets turned around on them.

But does anyone believe they won't? :rofl

Navy Pride said:

How is this a staggering defeat?

Alito's confirmation isn't exactly a suprise to anyone.

I fail to see the huge victory. The president has the power to nominate a judge and he nominated an intelligent right-wing judge. The democrats can't stop Alito’s confirmation just because he doesn't see the same political opinion as them, a judge isn't supposed to have political opinions.

aps said:
How is this a staggering defeat?

I am just going by what Kennedy and Schumar said in that a Conservative replaced a moderate on the court..........

Gibberish said:
Alito's confirmation isn't exactly a suprise to anyone.

I fail to see the huge victory. The president has the power to nominate a judge and he nominated an intelligent right-wing judge. The democrats can't stop Alito’s confirmation just because he doesn't see the same political opinion as them, a judge isn't supposed to have political opinions.

What are you talking about? Rhe Dems have blocked a lot of Conservative judges until the Gang of 14 held their feet to the fire........

This president got 2 Conservative judges confirmed to the SCOTUS which in my highest espectations never thought would happen...........

Now you have Stevens who is 85, in ill health and thinking about retirement.................You better hope he does not do it until after GWB is gone.........

Can't wait to see Supreme Court Justice Alito seated with his peers at tomorrow night's State of the Union address. ;)

Navy Pride said:
This president got 2 Conservative judges confirmed to the SCOTUS which in my highest espectations never thought would happen...........

Then you either have very low expectations, or you don't understand politics at all.

Navy Pride said:
What are you talking about? Rhe Dems have blocked a lot of Conservative judges until the Gang of 14 held their feet to the fire........

Just because they are accepted as being confirmed does not mean the democrats are just going to wave them through. The reason the confirmation is accepted is because the majority is Republican. These nominations are intelligent judges (with the exception of Miers), their political and personal view on topics is the only stance democrats can take to try to block them.

It was obvious whatever president won the 2004 election would get to nominate atleast two spots on the SCOTUS. This was the sole reason a few people I know voted against Bush. They didn't like kerry though they would rather have Kerry then have Bush appoint a conservative court and take us back 50 years.

Now you have Stevens who is 85, in ill health and thinking about retirement.................You better hope he does not do it until after GWB is gone.........
For the sake of the American people's rights I hope he stays.

NP said:

NP is right in one fairly large sense. If you have been keeping up with the various nominations since the inception of the Bush presidency, you'll know that the Dems have blocked almost every court nomination possible, not just the SC nominations.

Kandahar said:
Then you either have very low expectations, or you don't understand politics at all.

Yeah, right........:roll:

Gibberish said:
Just because they are accepted as being confirmed does not mean the democrats are just going to wave them through. The reason the confirmation is accepted is because the majority is Republican. These nominations are intelligent judges (with the exception of Miers), their political and personal view on topics is the only stance democrats can take to try to block them.

It was obvious whatever president won the 2004 election would get to nominate atleast two spots on the SCOTUS. This was the sole reason a few people I know voted against Bush. They didn't like kerry though they would rather have Kerry then have Bush appoint a conservative court and take us back 50 years.

For the sake of the American people's rights I hope he stays.

1. Them dems don't have any say about it any more......There will be no filibuster and it will take 51 votes to confirm him and that will be done tomorrow..........If you knew anything about politics you would know that......

2. That is really to bad because one of the main reason the people I know voted for him becasue he would do exactly that........Oh and I call the dumping of Roe V Wade the greatest thing that could happen and I expect the majority of those 61,000,000 people that voted for GWB feel the same way.......

Gibberish said:
They didn't like kerry though they would rather have Kerry then have Bush appoint a conservative court and take us back 50 years.

"Take us back 50 years"? Walk me through that. How does that work? Be specific.

Harshaw said:
"Take us back 50 years"? Walk me through that. How does that work? Be specific.

He/she is talking about overturning Roe V Wade......

So Dems just voted the way you wanted them to and you're still crying foul about them? :2wave: :rofl

oldreliable67 said:
NP is right in one fairly large sense. If you have been keeping up with the various nominations since the inception of the Bush presidency, you'll know that the Dems have blocked almost every court nomination possible, not just the SC nominations.

"More than 200 of President Bush’s nominees have been confirmed by the Senate, including 35 circuit court appointments. One hundred of these judges were confirmed in the 17 months of the Democratic Senate majority. The Senate has only blocked ten - just 4.7 percent -of President Bush's judicial nominees. The number of President Bush’s nominees confirmed by the Senate is greater than the per-term average for any of his recent predecessors - Presidents Clinton, G.H.W. Bush, or Reagan. The Senate blocked over 60 of President Clinton’s judicial nominees."

Navy Pride said:

Hardly a staggering defeat. :roll: I said from day one that Scalito was in and that the hearings were a farce.

hipsterdufus said:
Hardly a staggering defeat. :roll: I said from day one that Scalito was in and that the hearings were a farce.
Anything that doesn't go your way is a farce. Got it. :coffeepap

KCConservative said:
Anything that doesn't go your way is a farce. Got it. :coffeepap

The hearings are a farce because we never learn anything new about the candidate, and the questions that the senators ask are awful. The hearings are merely a way for senators of both parties to grandstand.

Kandahar said:
The hearings are a farce because we never learn anything new about the candidate, and the questions that the senators ask are awful. The hearings are merely a way for senators of both parties to grandstand.
I would agree with that, but I don't think it's what hipster meant. I'm sure this smarts for liberals and it still stings, no doubt. And don't forget, Bush may get a chance to send up one more to the Supreme Court.

scottyz said:
So Dems just voted the way you wanted them to and you're still crying foul about them? :2wave: :rofl

If that was for me dems like Kennedy, Kerry, and Clinton got it stuck to them and it is so wonderful to see.............

Navy Pride said:
If that was for me dems like Kennedy, Kerry, and Clinton got it stuck to them and it is so wonderful to see.............

So it's a win/win for me and you. I'm glad that those same people, along with my main man Russ Feingold and Barak Obama decided to take a stand, even though they knew they would lose. FYI this is the first nomination Feingold ever opposed.

"The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! "

hipsterdufus said:
So it's a win/win for me and you. I'm glad that those same people, along with my main man Russ Feingold and Barak Obama decided to take a stand, even though they knew they would lose. FYI this is the first nomination Feingold ever opposed.

"The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! "

It might surprise you but Feingold jumped the Kennedy ship today and voted for cloiture.......:confused:

26 X World Champs said:
It's not...he's baiting you with his immature posts. Consider the source!

Your going to get banned..........

Back
Top Bottom