• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Italy may put CIA agents on trial in absentia

KidRocks

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Good Lord!

Kidnapping a Muslim cleric in Milan via a US covert operation? By our CIA Agents? In broad daylight? Who the hell does George W. Bush think he is anyway?

No wonder the Muslim world is uniting in their contempt for America.

No wonder most of Europe is as equally disenchanted with President Bush & Co.

No wonder most of the civilized world is not far behind them.

Go Italy! Get those basturds!

MILAN (Reuters) - Milan prosecutors expect to launch procedures within a month that could put 22 CIA agents accused of kidnapping a Muslim cleric in Milan on trial in absentia, a senior judicial source said.

The source, who asked not to be named, said prosecutors were growing tired of perceived foot-dragging by Washington and Rome over requests that would advance their investigation -- one of several European probes into suspected U.S. covert operations.

The United States has still not responded to a request in January by Italy for judicial assistance in the case, which could potentially allow Italian prosecutors to travel there to question suspects and gather evidence.

Neither has Italy's government responded to a request in November from prosecutors to seek the extradition of the agents from the United States.

If no helpful action has been taken by early March -- as appears increasingly likely -- then prosecutors will close their investigation, the well-placed source said.

"The next step will be to go to trial," he said.

The European Parliament and the Council of Europe are watching the Italian case carefully as they move ahead with their own investigations into suspected U.S. anti-terrorism operations, including running secret prisons in eastern Europe.

German and Swiss prosecutors are also looking into other accusations of U.S. covert transport of detainees, a process known as "rendition."

An Italian trial of the 22 agents could potentially open a wealth of evidence in the case to the public, showing how terrorism suspect Hassan Mustafa Osama Nasr was grabbed off a Milan street in 2003 in broad daylight...

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=1597805

Last edited:
KidRocks said:
Good Lord!

Kidnapping a Muslim cleric in Milan via a US covert operation? By our CIA Agents? In broad daylight? Who the hell does George W. Bush think he is anyway?

MILAN (Reuters) - Milan prosecutors expect to launch procedures within a month that could put 22 CIA agents accused of kidnapping a Muslim cleric in Milan on trial in absentia, a senior judicial source said.

ADVERTISEMENT

The source, who asked not to be named, said prosecutors were growing tired of perceived foot-dragging by Washington and Rome over requests that would advance their investigation -- one of several European probes into suspected U.S. covert operations.

The United States has still not responded to a request in January by Italy for judicial assistance in the case, which could potentially allow Italian prosecutors to travel there to question suspects and gather evidence.

Neither has Italy's government responded to a request in November from prosecutors to seek the extradition of the agents from the United States.

If no helpful action has been taken by early March -- as appears increasingly likely -- then prosecutors will close their investigation, the well-placed source said.

"The next step will be to go to trial," he said.

The European Parliament and the Council of Europe are watching the Italian case carefully as they move ahead with their own investigations into suspected U.S. anti-terrorism operations, including running secret prisons in eastern Europe.

German and Swiss prosecutors are also looking into other accusations of U.S. covert transport of detainees, a process known as "rendition."

An Italian trial of the 22 agents could potentially open a wealth of evidence in the case to the public, showing how terrorism suspect Hassan Mustafa Osama Nasr was grabbed off a Milan street in 2003 in broad daylight...

Tough ****.... You ain't getting your hands on any of my military or my soldiers. As much as you would like to allow anyone to come in and **** on this country theres no way in hell it's going to happen. You however should consider moving to Italy. Its nice and you would probably like it there much much better. I got no doubt that muslim cleric wasn't beiong picked up for jaywalking. Hope they got him, and if were lucky he found himself a nice deep dark hole in EUrope someplace

Calm2Chaos said:
Tough ****.... You ain't getting your hands on any of my military or my soldiers. As much as you would like to allow anyone to come in and **** on this country theres no way in hell it's going to happen. You however should consider moving to Italy. Its nice and you would probably like it there much much better. I got no doubt that muslim cleric wasn't beiong picked up for jaywalking. Hope they got him, and if were lucky he found himself a nice deep dark hole in EUrope someplace

To hell with anyone in the military, soldiers or polititians who break our American laws all in the name of the "Patriot-Act"!

To hell with the "Patriot-Act"!

Long live the "CONSTITUTION of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA"!

KidRocks said:
To hell with anyone in the military, soldiers or polititians who break our American laws all in the name of the "Patriot-Act"!

LOL, it's too late, they just reached a deal on the Patriot Act, LIVE WITH IT!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060209/ap_on_go_co/patriot_act

thenightafter.jpg

OWNED

KidRocks said:

Don't act like you have any feelings other then contempt and disgust for this country. You'll take what been given to you by others and **** all over it. They took a suspected terrorist off the streets, and to you thats a problem... Your the leading edge to the destruction of this country. But it won't be from outside it will be from within. The desire to give those that want to kill you and this country as many advantages and rights as possible. Open un fettered immigration, appeasment, apathetic. God forbid your the future of this country. I may just have to move to italy myself

KidRocks said:
Good Lord!
If true, they wouldn't have done it without good reason. I hope they are sticking pins in his eyeballs as I type. Might just save one American in the process. Just so long as it isn't you. You don't deserve it.
Wha? They are just now starting to unite in their hate for the Great Satan? Next thing you know they will be flying planes into buildings. What took them so long? Really good point though.
Guess it's time for you to move then. You'll fit right in.
Maybe we need to define the term "civilized".
I think we can all imagine what I would really like to say here.

Didn't I smack you long ago with no reply?

You're turn...

Calm2Chaos said:
Don't act like you have any feelings other then contempt and disgust for this country. You'll take what been given to you by others and **** all over it. They took a suspected terrorist off the streets, and to you thats a problem... Your the leading edge to the destruction of this country. But it won't be from outside it will be from within. The desire to give those that want to kill you and this country as many advantages and rights as possible. Open un fettered immigration, appeasment, apathetic. God forbid your the future of this country. I may just have to move to italy myself

Fine, move to Italy.

Just don't let on that you're an American over there, you may not like their reaction to that fact over there either.

KidRocks said:
Fine, move to Italy.

Just don't let on that you're an American over there, you may not like their reaction to that fact over there either.

You're the traitor. You move to Italy. It's truley sad how ignorant some Americans are to what it takes to provide them their pampered lives. Some just don't deserve it.

There is a difference between an American and just an individual merely living in America.

KidRocks said:
Fine, move to Italy.

If I move then that would be allowing something like you to destroy my country. And I just can't bring myself to allow my country to fall into something like your hands....But you should feel free to leave. Your disdain for the US is showing..lol

GySgt said:
You're the traitor. You move to Italy. It's truley sad how ignorant some Americans are to what it takes to provide them their pampered lives.

Speaking of pampered arses.

I'm not the traitor here, George W. Bush is, he should be impeached, tried and convicted, jailed without representation and shipped to Guantanamo Bay.

KidRocks said:

I'm not the traitor here, George W. Bush is, he should be impeached, tried and convicted, jailed without representation and shipped to Guantanamo Bay.

Comon... Your illearned contempt for this country is obvious. But thats ok I guess. Takes all kinds, you always need to have paper at the bottom of the bird cage. :lol:

Calm2Chaos said:
Comon... Your illearned contempt for this country is obvious. But thats ok I guess. Takes all kinds, you always need to have paper at the bottom of the bird cage. :lol:

It is you my friend who has contempt for the "rule of law", contempt for the "Constitution", contempt for the American way of life before Presedent Bush.

Wake-up before it's to late!

KidRocks said:

I say that the media should be restrained and beaten when they reveal sensitive information. But since there's nothing I can do about it, whining about it won't accomplish it and neither will sucking my thumb.

I like how you say he is a traitor and speak of the "Constitution" then wish him imprisonment without representation. This is why other men must do for you. They aren't so sensitive to what it takes to protect you. Our laws are not adequate to today's threats.

...and yes...you are foolishly and blindly traitorous.

Hey Kidrocks, ever feel like the whole world is a black tuxedo and you're a pair of brown shoes? :lol:

KCConservative said:
Hey Kidrocks, ever feel like the whole world is a black tuxedo and you're a pair of brown shoes? :lol:

Yes, quite often nowadays.

It's true, the penguins are firmly in control for now. :(

KidRocks said:
Yes, quite often nowadays.

It's true, the penguins are firmly in control for now. :(
My father always used to say that if two people say you're sick, lie down.

Question for all of you.

What would you think if the Italian equivalent of the CIA came to the US and kidnapped an American citizen, who was under surveillance as a suspected member of a terrorist organization, and removed him from the country without going through the proper procedure, or notifying any officials of the US government? Would you consider it to be just fine for a foreign agent to do such a thing?

Please, don't start with the gang attack accusing me of being a traitor or any of the other partisan rhetoric, just answer the question.

NYStateofMind said:
Question for all of you.

What would you think if the Italian equivalent of the CIA came to the US and kidnapped an American citizen, who was under surveillance as a suspected member of a terrorist organization, and removed him from the country without going through the proper procedure, or notifying any officials of the US government? Would you consider it to be just fine for a foreign agent to do such a thing?

Please, don't start with the gang attack accusing me of being a traitor or any of the other partisan rhetoric, just answer the question.
One less bad guy? Sounds good to me.

No concerns about US sovereignty being trampled on? And here I thought you were so patriotic! ;)

KCConservative said:
One less bad guy? Sounds good to me.

So your motto is "Guilty before innocent then?"

If I see your write otherwise, I will call you on it.

Is it possible for you to think with an open mind? How would you feel if that person that Italy abducted was a family member?

NYStateofMind said:
Question for all of you.

Wouldn't happen. We would work with our allies to apprehend the fugitive. We are dealing with governments who would rather go out of their way to accomodate these people rather than protect the public. Our laws are inadequate for today's threats.

GySgt said:
Wouldn't happen. We would work with our allies to apprehend the fugitive.

First, I didn't say it was a fugitive, I said the individual was under surveillance as a suspected terrorist. However, regardless, the point is that we DIDN'T do that. We kidnapped the suspected terrorist, without consulting with the Italian government. We violated Italian sovereignty.
GySgt said:
We are dealing with governments who would rather go out of their way to accomodate these people rather than protect the public. Our laws are inadequate for today's threats.
So, since the laws are inadequate, we just ignore them?

You didn't answer the question, you dodged it. Try again.

Well, we could put Italy on our list of countries not to visit, I'm sure O'Reilly could come up with some creative bumper stickers, and we wouldn't hear another word of this.;)

Italy can kiss my ass, I could see their concern over their agents being gunned down in Iraq, but if they want a war over some terror suspect rights, they can have one!:roll:

Deegan said:
Well, we could put Italy on our list of countries not to visit, I'm sure O'Reilly could come up with some creative bumper stickers, and we wouldn't hear another word of this.;)

Italy can kiss my ass, I could see their concern over their agents being gunned down in Iraq, but if they want a war over some terror suspect rights, they can have one!:roll:

What's the matter, is the question too difficult? Let me make it simple for you. Do you believe that the US, and other nations, should have their sovereignty respected? You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you support US sovereignty, you must support other nations' sovereignty too. It's a two way street. So, what's your answer?

NYStateofMind said:
What's the matter, is the question too difficult? Let me make it simple for you. Do you believe that the US, and other nations, should have their sovereignty respected? You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you support US sovereignty, you must support other nations' sovereignty too. It's a two way street. So, what's your answer?

Not where terrorism is concerned!

Italy is much too liberal where terrorism is concerned, and they would have the whole operation tied up in red tape, and the terrorist would flee before we could get the cuffs on him. As I said, if it were for any other reason, I could find fault, but we are trying to protect this country, and we will take the war where ever it is necessary. This is nothing more then political posturing, and we can Ill afford to play this game right now. If they want a war over this, that's o.k, they need us, more then we need them, they will soon come to their collective senses.;)

Back
Top Bottom