• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Italian Troops to Pull Out of Iraq

GarzaUK

British, Irish and everything in-between.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Italian troops are to pull out by the end of the year says the Italian Prime Minister. In the US kiiling of an Italian agent thread, Pacridge - I said that this would happen. I love it when I'm right. (Just bask in my glory here lol)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4352259.stm

Italy is to begin withdrawing its troops from Iraq in September 2005, Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has said.
He told Rai state television the pullout would take place "in agreement with our allies".

Italy has 3,000 troops in Iraq - the fourth largest foreign contingent.

Domestic opposition to Italy's involvement in Iraq intensified after the killing of an Italian agent by US troops in Baghdad earlier this month.

The announcement came as Italy's lower house of parliament backed a recent Senate vote to extend the country's military presence in Iraq beyond June.

I just thought your should get the numbers on the mighty Coaltion of the Willing. What Rumsfeld described as the "Mother of all Coaltions". :rolleyes:

US: 150,000
UK: 8,000
South Korea: 3,600
Italy: 3,085
Poland: 1,700
Ukraine: 1,600
Georgia: 898
Romania: 730
Japan: 550
Denmark: 496
Bulgaria: 450
Australia: 400

If we pay them millions of dollars you think they'll change their mind?
It would help them recoup the money they shelled out to the terrorists.

It's not about money Batman it's about Italian's lives and that Italians believe this war should not have been waged, that Saddam was never a threat to our security. The real threat was Al-Queida.

Turkey rejected a huge American payoff to station US troops in Turkey for example. I guess "richer" countries are not as susceptible to bribes.

Money isn't everything, especially when war and lives are concerned.

I told you the "incident" at the checkpoint would result in the withdrawal of Italians troops. That coalition is getting smaller all the time isn't it.

GarzaUK said:
That coalition is getting smaller all the time isn't it.
Luckily for us all it won't change our resolve.

GarzaUK said:
Italian troops are to pull out by the end of the year says the Italian Prime Minister. In the US kiiling of an Italian agent thread, Pacridge - I said that this would happen. I love it when I'm right. (Just bask in my glory here lol)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4352259.stm

I just thought your should get the numbers on the mighty Coaltion of the Willing. What Rumsfeld described as the "Mother of all Coaltions". :rolleyes:

US: 150,000
UK: 8,000
South Korea: 3,600
Italy: 3,085
Ukraine: 1,600
Georgia: 898
Romania: 730
Japan: 550
Denmark: 496
Bulgaria: 450
Australia: 400
Haha! I haven't seen the numbers of the 'mighty' coalition before, but that's pretty funny! I seems that the Italians leaving will cause a huge dent in the mighty coalition, although Italy makes up less than 3% of the total coalition, they are the 4th largest force! The real lucky thing for the USA is that those 8,000 Britons their won't be leaving anytime soon. Bush has Blair on a leash.

Batman said:
Luckily for us all it won't change our resolve.

Yeah thanks to the coalition's invasion of Iraq, hatred of the West and hence the increase of Islamic terrorist recruits. Job well done. I can sleep at night now. :rolleyes:

Funnily in the UK a powder called Resolve is used (mixed with water) to cure hangovers. You'll need resolve to cure the massive hangover that's Iraq.

poland00.gif

You forgot Poland!

~ Bush points out that Kerry forgot Poland as a member of the coalition in a Presidental Debate.

GarzaUK said:
Yeah thanks to the coalition's invasion of Iraq, hatred of the West and hence the increase of Islamic terrorist recruits. Job well done. I can sleep at night now. :rolleyes:
With all that U.S. funded IRA terrorism? :rolleyes:

GarzaUK said:
It's not about money Batman
"In principle, we shouldn't give in to blackmail but this time we had to. Although it's a dangerous path to take because, obviously, it could encourage others to take hostages, either for political reasons or for criminal reasons," - Gustavo Selva

It's a dangerous path to take, yet they take it anyway knowing what it could encourage.

GarzaUK said:

No, Garza. Both GWB and Phoney Blair have assured us that their actions have made the world safer. And they wouldn't lie to us, would they? :rolleyes:

GarzaUK said:
Funnily in the UK a powder called Resolve is used (mixed with water) to cure hangovers. You'll need resolve to cure the massive hangover that's Iraq.

:rofl

Italy is to begin withdrawing its troops from Iraq in September 2005, Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has said.
He told Rai state television the pullout would take place "in agreement with our allies".

I read this as a typical political PYA statement. Note the final five words. That's his out.

Batman said:
"In principle, we shouldn't give in to blackmail but this time we had to. Although it's a dangerous path to take because, obviously, it could encourage others to take hostages, either for political reasons or for criminal reasons," - Gustavo Selva

It's a dangerous path to take, yet they take it anyway knowing what it could encourage.

... Well Italian politicians are very well known for saying something completely different than what they mean.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom