• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"It was just a spelling error."

Yeah, everyone knows spelling errors aren't important! :lamo

images

images

images

What a moran that kid is. I really hate stpuid people that cant spell.

Conn. boy: I was cheated over 'Jeopardy!' spelling

Conn. boy: I was cheated over 'Jeopardy!' spelling - Yahoo! TV

I saw that episode, and the kid was cheated. I watch almost every episode of Jeopardy, and I've seen them give passes to adults all the time for misspellings. I've seen them give passes to adults when they can barely make out the word, but if the adult speaks the word, they get a pass.

This kid was robbed. He wouldn't have won anyway, but it would have made him feel a lot better about losing, I'm sure. He looked like he was crying, at the end, where they were all standing around talking as the credits were rolling.

I saw that episode, and the kid was cheated. I watch almost every episode of Jeopardy, and I've seen them give passes to adults all the time for misspellings. I've seen them give passes to adults when they can barely make out the word, but if the adult speaks the word, they get a pass.

This kid was robbed. He wouldn't have won anyway, but it would have made him feel a lot better about losing, I'm sure. He looked like he was crying, at the end, where they were all standing around talking as the credits were rolling.

I also saw the episode and agree the kid got screwed. The question was 'Abraham Lincoln called this document, which took effect in 1863, "a fit and necessary war measure"', not "How do you spell emancipation?" He obviously knew the answer and misspelled it only by the addition of one letter. But Jeopardy's show, Jeopardy's rules. And it wouldn't have made any difference - second place was the best he could do in any case.

Well jeez, that's kind of sad.

What in the blue hell is a "yard sard"? :lol:

I have a friend who appeared on Jeopardy about 3 years ago and she said that they were told specifically that spelling wasn't a problem.

I have a friend who appeared on Jeopardy about 3 years ago and she said that they were told specifically that spelling wasn't a problem.

Interesting. Also not surprising. Like I said, I've seen too many adults be given passes for gross misspellings.

Interesting. Also not surprising. Like I said, I've seen too many adults be given passes for gross misspellings.

I saw it on the news this morning. You're right. I saw that he had 1 "T" in his spelling that didn't belong. That is kind of ridiculous.

OTOH, life ain't fair. The kid (and the rest of us) should treat it as that lesson and move on.

A bit OT but the kid who won is a civil war buff. Going into the last question, he had $36,600, no small feat in itself. He bet $30K and won! YOWZA!! :shock: :applaud

I agree. I used to watch jeopardy and spelling errors were not used to eliminate a player if the answer was essentially correct. The kid might have lost eventually, but not for something as silly as this spelling mistake.

He's obviously not that great at math either, since regardless of whether he got that one right, he would have lost.

Doesn't matter that he wasn't going to win. The fact is that it was a double-standard. With the adults, they are given a pass for misspellings. The kids should be given even more leeway.

Doesn't matter that he wasn't going to win. The fact is that it was a double-standard. With the adults, they are given a pass for misspellings. The kids should be given even more leeway.

Nobody should be given *ANY* leeway. Spelling is a basic skill and should be expected of all.

Nobody should be given *ANY* leeway. Spelling is a basic skill and should be expected of all.

Yes, and should be expected of all contestants. If kids are going to be penalized for misspelling, adults should be penalized as well.

I don't know - that depends: do they routinely overlook minor spelling errors or do they not?

They routinely overlook them. I watch the show almost every day. There's no consistency. I've seen them overlook 9 and penalize 1.

Yes, and should be expected of all contestants. If kids are going to be penalized for misspelling, adults should be penalized as well.

I agree with you entirely.

They routinely overlook them. I watch the show almost every day. There's no consistency. I've seen them overlook 9 and penalize 1.

What did Alex Trebek have against this poor kid anyway? :lol: He kind of seemed like "ha-ha" on the footage I saw.

Back
Top Bottom