• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"It was just a spelling error."

Don't know. Bothered me, though. If he never gave anybody a pass, I would have agreed with him. But he does - all the time. Made no sense. Almost like he was picking on the kid or something.

Nobody should be given *ANY* leeway. Spelling is a basic skill and should be expected of all.

Just out of curiosity have you ever spelled under pressure? I have (for charity), and believe me, it's easy to have your brain freeze. I was "gonged" when I violated the rules by going back a syllable to regain my place.

And I wasn't an 8th grader. The kid knew what the word was. He did misspell it, but he was pretty close.

Just out of curiosity have you ever spelled under pressure? I have (for charity), and believe me, it's easy to have your brain freeze. I was "gonged" when I violated the rules by going back a syllable to regain my place.

And I wasn't an 8th grader. The kid knew what the word was. He did misspell it, but he was pretty close.

One freaking letter. Wasn't even a gross misspelling.

I know. That's what seems so unfair to me, especially if "Jeopardy!" generally cuts contestants slack on spelling.

A single letter can be all the difference between one word and another. If it's a competition, there should be no leeway, or what's the point? That the host may be a dick is irrelevant.

*points and laughs at illiterate woman*

Rap is pretty close to rape.

Who's counting, right?

A single letter can be all the difference between one word and another. If it's a competition, there should be no leeway, or what's the point? That the host may be a dick is irrelevant.

You haven't been paying attention to this thread at all, have you? Or did you just pop in at the end, leaving a few drive-by nuggets of wisdom?

It's not that the host was a dick. It's that there is no consistency. He gives some a pass, but penalizes a 10 year old. :roll:

And anyone who can't tell that emaciptation is the same as emancipation should probably step down, anyway.

You haven't been paying attention to this thread at all, have you? Or did you just pop in at the end, leaving a few drive-by nuggets of wisdom?
Whoa! Easy, hoss.

It's not that the host was a dick. It's that there is no consistency. He gives some a pass, but penalizes a 10 year old. :roll:

And anyone who can't tell that emaciptation is the same as emancipation should probably step down, anyway.
I did read the thread. I just think it's a little silly to excuse ****ty spelling where the objective is to showcase one's aptitude for it.

Seems like a waste of time if the outcome of a spelling contest isn't contingent upon spelling. Jus' sayin'.

Whoa! Easy, hoss.

I did read the thread. I just think it's a little silly to excuse ****ty spelling where the objective is to showcase one's aptitude for it.

Seems like a waste of time if the outcome of a spelling contest isn't contingent upon spelling. Jus' sayin'.

Do you even watch Jeopardy? It's not a spelling contest. It's a knowledge contest. Spelling, while important, isn't the most important part of the game. If that were the case, all contestants would be judged on spelling - not just a few.

Do you even watch Jeopardy? It's not a spelling contest. It's a knowledge contest. Spelling, while important, isn't the most important part of the game. If that were the case, all contestants would be judged on spelling - not just a few.
"If 'Jeopardy!' were to give credit for an incorrect response (however minor), the show would effectively penalize the other players,"

And no. I have a life.

And no. I have a life.

It's not an incorrect response. It was a correct response, with an incorrect spelling. Either way, it was very clear that the little boy knew the correct answer, and just added a "T," which is not something that normally garners an answer as incorrect.

And goody for you, that you have a life. What do you want, a cookie?

It's not an incorrect response. It was a correct response, with an incorrect spelling. Either way, it was very clear that the little boy knew the correct answer, and just added a "T," which is not something that normally garners an answer as incorrect.
Evidently, he was penalised on the strength of the spelling. I guess these terrible tragedies happen, right?

And goody for you, that you have a life. What do you want, a cookie?
Cookies and game shows. Is there no end to your gripping biography?

How could I stay away, my couch-bound honey pot? :iloveyou:

I wish I was couch bound. I have a disabled husband and two daughters in high school. I'd love to be couch bound.

I wish I was couch bound. I have a disabled husband and two daughters in high school. I'd love to be couch bound.
Alright, lovely. Peace. :peace

Back
Top Bottom