• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"It was just a spelling error."

DiAnna

Hooter Babe
Dungeon Master
Supporting Member
Monthly Subscriber
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Yeah, everyone knows spelling errors aren't important! :lamo

ChrisL

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

specklebang

Discount Philosopher
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
What a moran that kid is. I really hate stpuid people that cant spell.

Superfly

Not Quite The Same
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonapah
Political Leaning
Liberal
Conn. boy: I was cheated over 'Jeopardy!' spelling

Conn. boy: I was cheated over 'Jeopardy!' spelling - Yahoo! TV
I saw that episode, and the kid was cheated. I watch almost every episode of Jeopardy, and I've seen them give passes to adults all the time for misspellings. I've seen them give passes to adults when they can barely make out the word, but if the adult speaks the word, they get a pass.

This kid was robbed. He wouldn't have won anyway, but it would have made him feel a lot better about losing, I'm sure. He looked like he was crying, at the end, where they were all standing around talking as the credits were rolling.

CHuDWah

Rich Old White Guy
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I saw that episode, and the kid was cheated. I watch almost every episode of Jeopardy, and I've seen them give passes to adults all the time for misspellings. I've seen them give passes to adults when they can barely make out the word, but if the adult speaks the word, they get a pass.

This kid was robbed. He wouldn't have won anyway, but it would have made him feel a lot better about losing, I'm sure. He looked like he was crying, at the end, where they were all standing around talking as the credits were rolling.

I also saw the episode and agree the kid got screwed. The question was 'Abraham Lincoln called this document, which took effect in 1863, "a fit and necessary war measure"', not "How do you spell emancipation?" He obviously knew the answer and misspelled it only by the addition of one letter. But Jeopardy's show, Jeopardy's rules. And it wouldn't have made any difference - second place was the best he could do in any case.

ChrisL

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

Well jeez, that's kind of sad.

Josie

No Day But Today
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right

Jango

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
What in the blue hell is a "yard sard"? :lol:

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist

I have a friend who appeared on Jeopardy about 3 years ago and she said that they were told specifically that spelling wasn't a problem.

ChrisL

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Interesting. Also not surprising. Like I said, I've seen too many adults be given passes for gross misspellings.
I saw it on the news this morning. You're right. I saw that he had 1 "T" in his spelling that didn't belong. That is kind of ridiculous.

CHuDWah

Rich Old White Guy
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
OTOH, life ain't fair. The kid (and the rest of us) should treat it as that lesson and move on.

A bit OT but the kid who won is a civil war buff. Going into the last question, he had $36,600, no small feat in itself. He bet $30K and won! YOWZA!! :shock: :applaud

Captain Adverse

Classical Liberal Sage
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left

I agree. I used to watch jeopardy and spelling errors were not used to eliminate a player if the answer was essentially correct. The kid might have lost eventually, but not for something as silly as this spelling mistake.

Superfly

Not Quite The Same
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonapah
Political Leaning
Liberal
He's obviously not that great at math either, since regardless of whether he got that one right, he would have lost.
Doesn't matter that he wasn't going to win. The fact is that it was a double-standard. With the adults, they are given a pass for misspellings. The kids should be given even more leeway.

Cephus

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Doesn't matter that he wasn't going to win. The fact is that it was a double-standard. With the adults, they are given a pass for misspellings. The kids should be given even more leeway.
Nobody should be given *ANY* leeway. Spelling is a basic skill and should be expected of all.

Cephus

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Yes, and should be expected of all contestants. If kids are going to be penalized for misspelling, adults should be penalized as well.
I agree with you entirely.

ChrisL

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
They routinely overlook them. I watch the show almost every day. There's no consistency. I've seen them overlook 9 and penalize 1.
What did Alex Trebek have against this poor kid anyway? :lol: He kind of seemed like "ha-ha" on the footage I saw.

Top Bottom