• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

It was just a matter ot time...

Captain America

Jedi Master
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FATHERHOOD_SUIT?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

NEW YORK (AP) -- Contending that women have more options than they do in the event of an unintended pregnancy, men's rights activists are mounting a long shot legal campaign aimed at giving them the chance to opt out of financial responsibility for raising a child.

The National Center for Men has prepared a lawsuit - nicknamed Roe v. Wade for Men - <snip>

:2party:

Captain America said:
WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FATHERHOOD_SUIT?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

NEW YORK (AP) -- Contending that women have more options than they do in the event of an unintended pregnancy, men's rights activists are mounting a long shot legal campaign aimed at giving them the chance to opt out of financial responsibility for raising a child.

The National Center for Men has prepared a lawsuit - nicknamed Roe v. Wade for Men - <snip>

:2party:

the day that a man gets pregnant is the day that man should have the same rights that women do when they get pregnant.

The fact that men have no reproductive rights in this country is a BIG problem. It's not just with abortion either. Women can purposely decieve a man into believing he is the father of a child, collect child support for 18 years, and owe the guy nothing when he finds out he wasn't the father after all. Even if it's proven she lied knowingly....it's not considered a crime and she receives no consequences. Furthermore in many states if you are married and your wife gets pregnant by another man you are held accountable and legally responsible for that child since it was produced in wedlock.

Furthermore a man can say upfront that he is not ready to be a father and a women can ensure him she is taking her birth control and ooops she forgot a pill and now she's pregnant. Even if she did this intentionally the guy is held accountable. The guy does not get to choose or not choose parenthood the same way the women does.

The things women are getting away with are insane! I'm surprised men have let it go on as long as they have! It is about time they stood up and started fighting.

On the topic of abortion though...I don't know how they'd make that fair. Even if a man was allowed to legally sign a paper opting out of paying child support that is STILL not the SAME or EQUAL right women have with abortion. That is more like if a women gave a child up for adoption. A women currently gets to decide that a baby will not be born and cease to exist. She doesn't have to worry about the child existing out in the world while she is opting out. The only way to make abortion "Fair" would be for no child to be born unless both parents signed a paper giving consent for the birth. And that law will NEVER happen, nor should it. Plus it would be all but impossible to regulate.

Everyone should stop this nonsense. Use birth control, take advantage of the MAP and if all else fails own up to your responsibility and parent your child.

Last edited:
talloulou said:
The fact that men have no reproductive rights in this country is a BIG problem.

I agree with you there, I just dont think the those particular rights that those men are fighting for, are amung the rights they should have.

talloulou said:
It's not just with abortion either. Women can purposely decieve a man into believing he is the father of a child

paternity testing is pretty accurate, isnt it?

talloulou said:
[Woman can] collect child support for 18 years, and owe the guy nothing when he finds out he wasn't the father after all. Even if it's proven she lied knowingly....it's not concidered a crime and she receives no consequences.

I'm not an expert on this, but I believe thats because by law, its not the mother that collects the payments, but the child. the mother just manages the money. If thats the case, then it doesnt make sense that the child should owe anything back if there was a mistake.

talloulou said:
Furthermore in many states if you are married and your wife gets pregnant by another man you are held accountable and legally responsible for that child since it was produced in wedlock.

yeah, im not really sure what to think about that. I suppose as part of the marriage contract, the husband is obligated to support his wife's children. but at the same time, the biological father should still be required to make child support payments.

talloulou said:
Furthermore a man can say upfront that he is not ready to be a father and a women can ensure him she is taking her birth control and ooops she forgot a pill and now she's pregnant.

thats why condoms, and the morning after pill exist. hopefully the male pill will come to the united states soon. I havent checked on its status recently, but the research that i've read shows that its much more effective than the female pill.

talloulou said:
Even if she did this intentionally the guy is held accountable.

that again, has to do with child support being the childs right, not the mothers.

talloulou said:
The guy does not get to choose or not choose parenthood the same way the women does.

I definatly agree that more should be done to make sure the father gets a chance to have a say before the mother puts the child up for adoption. For example, requiring the signature of both parents, and if the father cannot be found, perhaps requiring that the mothers name be put onto some sort of searchable database for a certain amount of time, that the father could search through and find her.

but I'm just throwing an idea out into the air. I certainly having thought it through.

star2589 said:
I agree with you there, I just dont think the those particular rights that those men are fighting for, are amung the rights they should have.

In many ways I agree. I kind of feel if you have a kid you parent the kid and not just with money but with real actual fathering and mothering. I do feel the current laws are unfair insanely unfair to men. What I hope is that eventually more and more men will fight the unfairness and society will see the craziness that ensues and push for parents both men and women to accept the responsibility of parenthood and quit looking for all these shameful opt outs.

paternity testing is pretty accurate, isnt it?
Paternity testing is very accurate now. However its kind of like prenuptial agreements. I wouldn't have signed one when I got married as I sort of see them as a distrust from the start. I think many men who are told they are the father of a child believe that they in fact are. Now more and more men are getting paternity tests but many are still burned 'cause they trusted their partner. I can only imagine how I would have felt if my husband asked for paternity tests for our kids. I'd be really hurt that he didn't trust me but on the flip side I hear stories that are just unbelievable!

I even heard stories where women collect abortion money from different men and they aren't even pregnant!!!

I'm not an expert on this, but I believe thats because by law, its not the mother that collects the payments, but the child. the mother just manages the money. If thats the case, then it doesnt make sense that the child should owe anything back if there was a mistake.

I agree. But I still think knowingly decieving a man should be some sort of crime. Also child support is for the children but you will hear many many men complain that the money isn't necessarily going to the child. The laws are not set up in such a way that the father gets to control the money and ensure that it is actually spent on the child.

thats why condoms, and the morning after pill exist. hopefully the male pill will come to the united states soon. I havent checked on its status recently, but the research that i've read shows that its much more effective than the female pill.
That's very interesting! And it would give men alot more control over their reproductive rights since condoms break quite easily in my experience.

talloulou said:
I agree. But I still think knowingly decieving a man should be some sort of crime.

I agree with that. I just cant think of any reasonable consequence that doesnt hurt the child.

talloulou said:
Also child support is for the children but you will hear many many men complain that the money isn't necessarily going to the child. The laws are not set up in such a way that the father gets to control the money and ensure that it is actually spent on the child.

yeah, that should be changed.

Hrrm. And what reassurance is there that it won't be exploited by some wanker who's run off on his wife/girlfriend and kids - who are not foetuses?

vergiss said:
Hrrm. And what reassurance is there that it won't be exploited by some wanker who's run off on his wife/girlfriend and kids - who are not foetuses?

No reassurance whatsoever.

This entire issue is a consequence of the poor moral reasoning applied to the issue of reproductive rights.

Seems to me that it all comes down to the old adage, "It all depends on whose ox is being gored."

Fantasea said:
Seems to me that it all comes down to the old adage, "It all depends on whose ox is being gored."

I like you Fantasea!!!:mrgreen:

Fantasea said:

Erm, what?

Back
Top Bottom