• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

it says something about today's politics if trent lott does not want to be involved

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
this might surprise people who are a lot older and knew what this former senator was like. for clarifacation the person interveiwing the senator is David Corn

Just as House Speaker John Boehner was concluding a brief press conference on Monday afternoon—declaring that House GOPers would once again send to the Senate a bill funding the government that would block Obamacare, practically ensuring a government shutdown—I bumped into former Republican Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott, who now works at Patton Boggs, a powerhouse law and lobbying firm in Washington. Glad not to be part of the mess? I asked.

"I'm of two minds," Lott said. "I'd like to be in the arena and help work something out. But it's gotten too nasty and too mean these days. I couldn't work with these guys."

What do you think of how Boehner and the House Republicans are handling this?

"They've made their point," Lott huffed. "It's time to say enough and move on." Referring to the die-hard tea partiers in the House Republican caucus, he added, "These new guys don't care about making things work." Lott noted that in the mid-1990s, he warned then-Speaker Newt Gingrich not to force a government shutdown. "I knew it wouldn't be good for us," he said.

So how does this end? Lott said he still was optimistic that Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell could step in and negotiate a deal—maybe a short-term continuation of spending. (Not too long ago, I noted that the odds of a successful McConnell intervention were low.)

I asked Lott if his old GOP pals still serving in the Senate have lost control of their party. How do they feel about that? I inquired. Lott shook his head: "That Ted Cruz. They have to teach him something or cut his legs out from under him."

Cut his legs out? Yeah, Lott replied with a chuckle. He noted that when he was in the House in the 1980s he mounted a campaign against a fellow Republican who had challenged him for a leadership post. "Took me two years," he recalled. "But I got him. And he was out of the House." Recalling his vindictiveness and hardball politics, Lott chuckled once more. "Call me if you want more red meat," he said, before heading toward the car waiting for him.

Trent Lott on Ted Cruz: "Cut His Legs Out From Under Him" | Mother Jones

i don't know much about Trent Lott other then he was the former republican senate majority leader with a fire brand like reputation. anyone want to comment on this

Re: it says something about today's politics if trent lott does not want to be involv

this might surprise people who are a lot older and knew what this former senator was like. for clarifacation the person interveiwing the senator is David Corn

i don't know much about Trent Lott other then he was the former republican senate majority leader with a fire brand like reputation. anyone want to comment on this
You are correct. You don't know much about Trent Lott. It's okay. He's pretty forgettable.

Re: it says something about today's politics if trent lott does not want to be involv

Trent Lott was not a firebrand. He was an old school southern conservative. Jeff Sessions would be a pretty accurate analog in today's Senate.:peace

Lott has always been a politician and nothing more.

Back
Top Bottom