• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It is time!

That is a ridiculously tempting target. My opinion of the Russian military is dropping by the day.

I think....

Highway of Death, a tragic memory of the Gulf War.​

The Highway of Death refers to a road between Kuwait and Basra, Iraq, on which retreating Iraqi army units were attacked and destroyed by Coalition forces during the 1991 Gulf War.

Also, many civilian vehicles were destroyed.

Either the world's worst traffic jam or a scene from a post-apocalyptic TV show/movie.

Guess you are too young to remember the first gulf War.

MILITARY WIKI

ADVERTISEMENT
MILITARY WIKI

Highway of Death​

This article is about the road between Kuwait and Basra. For the Road of Death in Bolivia, see Yungas Road. For other similarly named roads, see Slaughter alley.
Belligerents
Highway of Death
Part of the Persian Gulf War
Demolished vehicles line Highway 80 on 18 Apr 1991.jpg
Wrecked and abandoned vehicles along Highway 80 in April 1991.
DateFebruary 25–27, 1991
LocationThe roads out of Kuwait City towards Iraq
29°23′03″N 47°39′06″E / 29.3842°N 47.6518°E / 29.3842; 47.6518Coordinates: 29°23′03″N 47°39′06″E / 29.3842°N 47.6518°E / 29.3842; 47.6518
ResultDecisive U.N. coalition victory

The Highway of Death refers to a six-lane highway between Kuwait and Iraq, officially known as Highway 80. It runs from Kuwait City to the border town of Safwan in Iraq and then on to the Iraqi city of Basra. The road had been used by Iraqi armed divisions for the 1990 Invasion of Kuwait. The road was repaired after the Persian Gulf War and used by U.S. and British forces in the initial stages of the 2003 invasion of Iraq.[3]

During the United Nations coalition offensive in the Persian Gulf War, American and Canadian aircraft and ground forces attacked retreating Iraqi military personnel and others escaping Kuwait on the night of February 26–27, 1991, resulting in the destruction of hundreds of vehicles and the deaths of many of their occupants. U.S. attacks against the Iraqi columns were actually conducted on two different roads. Between 1,400 and 2,000 vehicles were hit or abandoned on the main Highway 80 north of Al Jahra (the "actual" Highway of Death). Several hundred more littered the lesser known Highway 8 to the major southern Iraq military stronghold of Basra.

Somebody, anybody, needs to bin Laden Putin pronto.

. . .​
U.S. and British officials said a long column of tanks and combat vehicles was stalled roughly 20 miles north of Kyiv on the sixth day of President Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine, deepening questions about whether Moscow’s assault will yield a protracted war of resistance with its much smaller, less powerful neighbor.​
. . .​
The convoy, stretching some 40 miles, has moved little over the past day as the Russian forces have grappled with fuel and food shortages, a U.S. defense official told reporters, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive situation.​
Convoy approaching Ukrainian capital appears stalled as Russia unleashes greater firepower

and

Doesn't sound like the Russian troops' moral is very high. "An Army Marches On Its Stomach", as they say, and the Russians have 'fuel and food shortages', apparently.

To hit the convo, I believe...

If only Ukraine had the air power necessary.
A half dozen accidentally launched Tomahawks and no more convoy. "What does this button do?" "oops".

Warthog are bad ass. They keep trying to retire them but for ground support they keep coming back
Indeed they are. Extremely low tech in comparison to the fighters, but highly redundant systems and able to take damage like a B-17, and still take the pilot home (which is the most valuable asset in the package).

Warthog are bad ass. They keep trying to retire them but for ground support they keep coming back
I know. Troops love ‘em and there is nothing in the universe better at killing tanks.

I was thinking this 2 days ago, but they're afraid to even if they had the air power to do it.

Airpower was not even needed, just targeting. Artillery and cruise missiles would do the rest.

There is a story from Vietnam about a patrol that called in a strike to the valley on the lee side of their ridge. They never saw any choppers or bombers, but the whole mountain moved. When they asked, it was the Missouri and Iowa firing from Cam Ranh Bay over 20 miles away.

Airpower was not even needed, just targeting. Artillery and cruise missiles would do the rest.
How much of that do the Ukrainian's have? Artillery, maybe / probably, but I'm guessing not cruise missiles.

There is a story from Vietnam about a patrol that called in a strike to the valley on the lee side of their ridge. They never saw any choppers or bombers, but the whole mountain moved. When they asked, it was the Missouri and Iowa firing from Cam Ranh Bay over 20 miles away.
Thank you for your service.

Amazing Trump wanted a favor from the President of the Ukraine, oh to call Rudy. Yea what a foreign policy legend your boy Donny was and is still lying about what he did.
It's a very different situation. In the Gulf War, we were invading, so we are away from our resources and unfamiliar with the terrain. So we rely on ranged fire and expensive missiles.

Contrast.

How much of that do the Ukrainian's have? Artillery, maybe / probably, but I'm guessing not cruise missiles.
In Ukraine, they are at home, able to utilize locally available resources and put large numbers of small hindrances in front of the Russians. They have also had time to think and plan a defense.

Thank you for your service.
Vietnam was before my time. I was a DoD civilian in Iraq for a couple of years.

It's a very different situation. In the Gulf War, we were invading, so we are away from our resources and unfamiliar with the terrain. So we rely on ranged fire and expensive missiles.
WtF are you talking about? Trump tried to have the Ukrainian govt help and held military monies in the process, telling Zelensky to call Rudy.
Trump was a joke

Contrast.

In Ukraine, they are at home, able to utilize locally available resources and put large numbers of small hindrances in front of the Russians. They have also had time to think and plan a defense.
True, but the Russians would appear to intend to level these large cities with artillery / tank fire. Not going to be much left if they do that.

Vietnam was before my time. I was a DoD civilian in Iraq for a couple of years.
Regardless, still service, isn't it?

To hit the convo, I believe...

If only Ukraine had the air power necessary.
I don't mind the US arming Ukraine to the teeth but we need to avoid direct involvement.

Back
Top Bottom