• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It is official now: Biden has won most Super Tuesday delegates

That would be a good tactic for the dems, but, I would also advise Trump to ask the old "are you better off now than you were 4 years ago. " I think the dems made some political hay when Trump was trying to allay the anxiety so as not to cause a panic. Of course Trump made his usual stupid statements, and the dems took full advantage of them. That's politics. As far as the Pandemic being his "Katrina", I doubt it. He acted pretty quickly. If one was a Trump voter because of the economy, even if it takes a tumble until the pandemic is under control, they won't want to bring back the days of corporate tax hikes and draconian regulations. Keep in mind, middle class wages went up for the first time in years. Ya never know though. But do you think old uncle Joe would be a trail blazer in this case?

I think Biden's slogan should be, "Back to normalcy with steady and reliable leadership." If Trump is relying on the economy, nothing else that is a huge mistake. Unlike Reagan who had built up a ton of good will among Americans that helped him survive Iran-Contra in good shape. Trump hasn't built up any. There's no reserve for him. If this coronavirus hangs around, good economy or not, that could easily be doom to Trump. He's not liked much as it is.

I think the midterms was a good indication of how being the distasteful old coot he is was a good example. There was no Hillary around to save him or the GOP house. Hillary isn't around this time either. I do think people see Biden as a safe bet. Perhaps not the ideal candidate they want or wanted, but safe and reliable. I also think Sanders would be the ideal candidate for Trump to beat. But that is only my opinion. Perhaps I'm not the only one who thinks that, those over at the DNC seems to come to the same conclusion.

Did you say "vote with their pockets instead of their brains???" Let's drill down on that a little bit. Take my case for instance. I benefited from the tax cuts. I like my healthcare plan, I'm a 2a supporter, want strong borders, and although I don't believe government should be involved in the abortion issue, I'm against partial birth abortion. (I oppose all abortion, but that's between the woman and God.) Biden will raise my taxes, return to the draconian regulations, and put a man that supports gun confiscation in charge of gun control. To me, voting for Biden wouldn't be using my brains. You don't vote for the candidate that lets you keep more of your money? Why are the people that have money, like Bernie and Warren, the ones that hate money? Like Leonardo DiCaprio said in the Howard Hughes movie. The person said "we don't care about money". He said "because you have it". Yep, gotta take the money out of politics, said the millionaire senators.

I'm sorry if you took offense. I wasn't talking about your kind of voter. Obviously you are content with the president for various reasons which are valid for you, and most likely you'll vote for him to stay four more years. That's fine.

I was talking about the people who may harbor more liberal views and may be inclined to endorse some of Bernie's platform proposals, but later, in the secret of the ballot box, may end up thinking that they will suffer financially if he is elected president (for example, by paying more taxes; by having their retirement plans perform less well if Bernie imposes regulations on Wall Street, etc) and then despite their ideology they will "vote with their pockets."

You are voting within your ideology, so you're not the kind I was talking about.

I hope this clarification helps. Cheers.

And then there's this: "As of Mar. 9, 2020, the flu is showing much more of an impact on Americans than COVID-19. You can find up-to-date information on COVID-19 at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). "
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...9-vs-the-flu&usg=AOvVaw1rhghgMQHL_2PpZF2Az5Zp

So let's take a breath, wash our hands, and cover our mouth when we cough. If we catch it, stay home.

I guarantee 100% that this will NOT remain like this.

The flu has killed more people because it has already infected 26 million Americans, while the COVID-19 is just starting. But the COVID-19 is twice as infectious as the flu (Ro number for the flu, 1.3, and for the COVID-19, 2.5), and has a case-fatality rate anywhere between 10 and 40 times higher than the flu's (0.1% for the flu versus anywhere between 1% and 4% for the COVID-19). And then, nobody has immunity to the COVID-19 given that it is novel, and there is no vaccine yet. Also, there are no effective treatments yet, unlike the flu that has a vaccine and 4 specific anti-virals to treat it.

Make no mistake, this is MUCH worse than the flu.

Have you seen a city the size of Milan, Italy, cordoned out and isolated from the rest of the country because of the flu? Have you seen schools and universities in Italy closed because of the flu? Have you seen entire countries like Israel closing their borders because of the flu? Have you seen all those hazmat suits for workers dealing with patients with the flu?

That should give you a hint that the situation is much more serious than the seasonal flu.

Smart and developed countries are taking this very seriously, and are testing as many people as they can. Over here we don't even have enough test kits. We are utterly unprepared.

Experts talking about it in hospital settings rather than the politically-filtered info you are getting even from the CDC, are talking about 98 million Americans catching it, and saying that at least 500,000 Americans will die within one year, of COVID-19.

Once this happens, and if I'm alive, I'd like to come back to this kind of post, and ask again if you still think that this is just like some flu.

The flu has killed more people because it has already infected 26 million Americans, while the COVID-19 is just starting. But the COVID-19 is twice as infectious as the flu (Ro number for the flu, 1.3, and for the COVID-19, 2.5), and has a case-fatality rate anywhere between 10 and 40 times higher than the flu's (0.1% for the flu versus anywhere between 1% and 4% for the COVID-19). And then, nobody has immunity to the COVID-19 given that it is novel, and there is no vaccine yet. Also, there are no effective treatments yet, unlike the flu that has a vaccine and 4 specific anti-virals to treat it.

Have you seen a city the size of Milan, Italy, cordoned out and isolated from the rest of the country because of the flu? Have you seen schools and universities in Italy closed because of the flu? Have you seen entire countries like Israel closing their borders because of the flu? Have you seen all those hazmat suits for workers dealing with patients with the flu?

That should give you a hint that the situation is much more serious than the seasonal flu.

Smart and developed countries are taking this very seriously, and are testing as many people as they can. Over here we don't even have enough test kits. We are utterly unprepared.

Experts talking about it in hospital settings rather than the politically-filtered info you are getting even from the CDC, are talking about 98 million Americans catching it, and saying that at least 500,000 Americans will die within one year, of COVID-19.

Once this happens, and if I'm alive, I'd like to come back to this kind of post, and ask again if you still think that this is just like some flu.

I heard an expert suggest that 40 to 60% of the population could get infected. That could be a disaster.

People keep talking about containment but even if it's contained and number of new cases decrease, the moment we relax it will increase again.

Nothing will change until we have a vaccine. It will be an economic catastrophe.

No, no, no. He dismantled the task force Obama had put in place precisely to prepare for this situation. When this thing hit, we got caught with a ridiculously small number of test kits (as opposed to Italy and South Korea that are testing everybody); we have 95,000 intensive care unit beds and only about 65,000 respirators. Just recently another infectious disease expert anticipated that our health system will be overwhelmed with the lack of tests, facilities, and machinery to treat the critical cases, and he anticipated that we'll have 98 million Americans infected and at least 500,000 debts.

And Trump will be the president who is presiding over this mess.

We'll see what happens to his approval rating when grandma and grandpa start dropping dead right and left from the coronavirus.

It didn't seem to hurt Obama. 61 million people were infected with the swine flu and over 12,000 died in 2009. Of course the GOP didn't weaponize the issue and the MSM wasn't doing everything they could to get him out of office. Your wish may come true. We'll see if the people will fall for it.

It didn't seem to hurt Obama. 61 million people were infected with the swine flu and over 12,000 died in 2009. Of course the GOP didn't weaponize the issue and the MSM wasn't doing everything they could to get him out of office. Your wish may come true. We'll see if the people will fall for it.

I must correct myself. I was wrong as people like Beck and Limbaugh did in fact politicize the H1N1 pandemic.

" On September 30, 2009, as the U.S. federal government’s efforts to persuade Americans to vaccinate themselves and their families against the H1N1 virus (swine flu) were moving into high gear, conservative Fox News commentator Glenn Beck informed his roughly 3 million viewers that, with respect to the vaccine, “you don’t know if this is going to cause neurological damage like it did in the 1970s,” adding that he would do “the exact opposite” of what the federal government recommended and might even attend a swine flu party to deliberately infect himself before the virus could mutate (Maugh 2009). A week later, on October 7, conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh told his radio audience — estimated at around 20 million listeners per week (Boehlert 2009) — “I am not going to take it [the H1N1 vaccine], precisely because you are now telling me I must. . . . I don’t want to take your vaccine. I don’t get flu shots.”1 He added that if “you have some idiot government official demanding, telling me I must take this vaccine, I’ll never take it” (Maugh 2009".

So, I stand corrected, and the right politicized the H1N1 . It's as sickening now, as it was then. We're better than that.

It may be more contagious, the fatalities are mostly elderly and immune compromised people. Biden is on TV now making political hay off of the situation. Sad.

It's not my wish. I wish as few Americans die as possible. I'm just angry at the lack of preparedness. We're the ones making blunders, when we're supposed to be the richest and most advanced country in the world. I guess we aren't.

I think Biden's slogan should be, "Back to normalcy with steady and reliable leadership." If Trump is relying on the economy, nothing else that is a huge mistake. Unlike Reagan who had built up a ton of good will among Americans that helped him survive Iran-Contra in good shape. Trump hasn't built up any. There's no reserve for him. If this coronavirus hangs around, good economy or not, that could easily be doom to Trump. He's not liked much as it is.

I think the midterms was a good indication of how being the distasteful old coot he is was a good example. There was no Hillary around to save him or the GOP house. Hillary isn't around this time either. I do think people see Biden as a safe bet. Perhaps not the ideal candidate they want or wanted, but safe and reliable. I also think Sanders would be the ideal candidate for Trump to beat. But that is only my opinion. Perhaps I'm not the only one who thinks that, those over at the DNC seems to come to the same conclusion.

I hope you're wrong. If Biden wins, it WILL be back to the same old same old. And with the dems, that will be tax hikes, draconian regulations and open borders. Trump can point to Europe and show how open borders contributed to the pandemic over there. Bidens on TV right now, blaming Trump for the pandemic. He sounds great to be honest, but it is a lot easier to lob grenades than to actually govern. Virus's are tough to get a handle on. Even under the flawless leadership of Obama/Biden 61 million in the U.S. were infected and over 12 thousand died. Another 7,000 died from H1N1 caused problems such as heart problems.

I hope you're wrong. If Biden wins, it WILL be back to the same old same old. And with the dems, that will be tax hikes, draconian regulations and open borders. Trump can point to Europe and show how open borders contributed to the pandemic over there. Bidens on TV right now, blaming Trump for the pandemic. He sounds great to be honest, but it is a lot easier to lob grenades than to actually govern. Virus's are tough to get a handle on. Even under the flawless leadership of Obama/Biden 61 million in the U.S. were infected and over 12 thousand died. Another 7,000 died from H1N1 caused problems such as heart problems.

First, Biden is a lot more experienced in government and public office than Trump when he became the president. So, yes, maybe Biden will govern better.
Two, the flu is a fact of life here for 2,000 years, every year there are some 20K deaths or so, it can't be stopped and no country has ever tried to stop it; on the other hand the case-fatality rate is low (0.13% average; the current season, 0.05%), there is a vaccine, and specific treatment (four active antivirals) so, you trying to berate Obama for flu deaths is ridiculous, they've happened under every president, Republican or Democrat. If you do have a vaccine what you do is that you vaccinate as many as you can, and yes, still some elderly people die. You don't quarantine.

Now, this COVID-19, there is no immunity to it, no vaccine, no treatment, and it is twice as infectious than the flu, and anywhere between 10 and 40 times more lethal than the flu, so, yes, you need to quarantine, contain, and isolate, and be prepared with test kits and ventilators.

I'm not trying to score a political point. I just think this could have been handled better.

Vote for Obiden-Bama!

Obiden-Bama.jpg

It didn't seem to hurt Obama... Of course the GOP didn't weaponize the issue

GOP renews attack on Obama's Ebola response

House Republicans are again aiming criticism at President Obama’s response to Ebola, renewing calls for travel bans and quarantines, even as public attention on the disease continues to wane.

Rep. Tim Murphy, who leads the House Oversight Committee’s health subpanel, on Tuesday slammed the administration...

Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) urged the administration to keep all options on the table.

“I think it is of concern to us that the administration has been opposed to travel bans and quarantines — items that we think might work,” she said.

Rep. Joe Barton (R-Texas) added: “It’s old-fashioned, but an absolute ban and an absolute quarantine does work.”

Murphy was one of several Republicans who also called out Obama-appointed coordinator, Ron Klain, as “missing in action.” Klain has declined to testify at any congressional hearings, since he was appointed last month.

GOP renews attack on Obama's Ebola response | TheHill

Granted on the virus being hard to get a handle on. But what most Trump supporters and Republicans in general don't realize or choose to ignore how much Trump's obnoxious, bullying persona and very unpresidential behavior has caused a lot of folks who like a lot of his policies, turn against him. You seen this in the midterms.

I was told by Trumpers and GOP'ers the economy is great, the GOP congress will pick up seats. No, they didn't. Whereas 2016 was an election more or less against Hillary, 2018 was against Trump. As for this year, we'll see. No predictions as of yet, basically because of the virus.

Granted on the virus being hard to get a handle on. But what most Trump supporters and Republicans in general don't realize or choose to ignore how much Trump's obnoxious, bullying persona and very unpresidential behavior has caused a lot of folks who like a lot of his policies, turn against him. You seen this in the midterms.

I was told by Trumpers and GOP'ers the economy is great, the GOP congress will pick up seats. No, they didn't. Whereas 2016 was an election more or less against Hillary, 2018 was against Trump. As for this year, we'll see. No predictions as of yet, basically because of the virus.

That's the great unknown. Will Trump's arrogant, bullying persona offend people that support his policies enough to vote democrat. I can't speak for anybody else. I can't stand Trump as a person, and yeah, he's embarrassing, but I can't see myself voting for higher taxes, more regulations, more restrictive gun laws (for law abiding citizens) and open borders, capitulating to NATO, I could go on. It will be interesting, that's for sure.

That's the great unknown. Will Trump's arrogant, bullying persona offend people that support his policies enough to vote democrat. I can't speak for anybody else. I can't stand Trump as a person, and yeah, he's embarrassing, but I can't see myself voting for higher taxes, more regulations, more restrictive gun laws (for law abiding citizens) and open borders, capitulating to NATO, I could go on. It will be interesting, that's for sure.

They don't have to vote Democratic. They can stay home or they can vote third party as in 2016, 9 million people voted third party against both Trump and Hillary. 6% of the total electorate which included 12% of independents.

https://www.cnn.com/election/2016/results/exit-polls

Compare that 6% who voted third party to 2012 when 1.5% did or 2008 when 1.2% did or even 2004 when 1.0% voted third party. Look at how independent switched from 2016 when 46% voted for Trump, 42% for Hillary with 12% voting third party to 2018 when only 42% of independents voted Republican in the midterm vs. 54% who voted for Democratic congress critters. But only 4% voting third party instead of 12%. If that holds, we know 12% did like Trump nor Clinton, I don't think they changed their minds about Trump. We know 8% out of that 12% decided to vote Democratic in 2018. Chances are they continue that in 2020.

You also see the disconnect in that 55% of Americans approve of Trump's handling of the economy, but only 44% approve of his over all job. There's more numbers I could give. Right now, I think if Trump loses the election, it won't be because of his policies, of what he has or hasn't done. It will be because of his uncouth and unpresidential personality. Especially among independents. Strange as it may sound, quite a lot of independents expect a president to act presidential. Not like some wrestler out of the WWE. But we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom