• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It is Injustice not Racism that drives the Rebellion

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The injustice driving the populist revolution
We've grown accustomed to describing the anti-establishment forces destabilizing politics throughout the West as "populism." Even if it makes sense to use the term for the purposes of description, it shouldn't relieve us of the burden of answering the singularly important question of why the populist style of politics is having an impact at the present moment in so many places.

The answer is injustice.

It might sound obvious, but it's surprising how infrequently the trend gets described this way. For members of a centrist establishment under siege, it's far more comforting to dismiss as illegitimate the motives of those who support Donald Trump's presidency, who voted for Brexit, who travel from the French provinces to don yellow vests on the streets of Paris, and who have empowered populist parties in Poland, Italy, Hungary, Austria, and the Czech Republic. They're racists, xenophobes, rubes, bigots, and entitled whiners who are stomping their feet like spoiled, resentful children, empowering fascists rather than deferring to the experts who actually know how the world works and how to govern the liberal international order.

But of course things look quite different on the other side of the dispute. Until we begin to put ourselves in the populists' shoes and view justice as they do, we will fail to grasp the nature of their upsurge and fall short in our response.
https://theweek.com/articles/817500/injustice-driving-populist-revolution

Lots of great stuff at the link to include a warning. It is so depressing how many people at DP get this wrong, and then worse very often behave poorly as they wallow in their ignorance....."You dont agree with me so you suck" has to be replaced by listening and caring, listening and caring is what should have been happening in America over these last few years as Trump descended then ascended, but it did not, because The American Elite Sadly Suck Now.

Last edited:

Lots of great stuff at the link to include a warning. It is so depressing how many people at DP get this wrong, and then worse very often behave poorly as they wallow in their ignorance....."You dont agree with me so you suck" has to be replaced by listening and caring, listening and caring is what should have been happening in America over these last few years as Trump descended then ascended, but it did not, because The American Elite Sadly Suck Now.

Agreed, but sadly, we've gone beyond the tipping point. It's really not if the rebellion will happen, it's a question of when, and what will be the final straw.

Tim-

Agreed, but sadly, we've gone beyond the tipping point. It's really not if the rebellion will happen, it's a question of when, and what will be the final straw.

Tim-
Voting Trump was an act of Rebellion, supporting Trump over these last two years has been an act of Rebellion, The Rebellion is here.

That article is right on!

Because of strict posting rules, I will have to be oblique.

The main reason for the election of Donald J. Trump was, indeed, a feeling of injustice.

During the previous eight years before 2016, there had been several unpleasant events.

It was not politic for many people to speak out, so they kept the anger inside them.

They let it out when they went to the polls in 2016.

Voting Trump was an act of Rebellion, supporting Trump over these last two years has been an act of Rebellion, The Rebellion is here.

And we won, well sort of. My question is, and what the dems should be asking themselves is, what happens when all those 63 million lose by any means necessary? Will we all sit tight? me thinks not!

Tim-

And we won, well sort of. My question is, and what the dems should be asking themselves is, what happens when all those 63 million lose by any means necessary? Will we all sit tight? me thinks not!

Tim-

The idea of course is that after we take enough beatings we will finally shut up and do as instructed by our betters.

Tim-
When the revolution starts.....according to history, it already has.
Tipping point? You mean what leads to armed violence? You already know that answer.
Armed riots? I’m sure most are armed.
Mobs using firearms to attack federal property? It that the tipping point you speak of?

Tim-

IMHO, with the median wage getting ever closer to the minimum wage, the final straw will be automation and AI reducing "living wage" jobs that many people do and the arrival of Austerity Day when federal entitlements are cut due to the ever growing national debt.

Pure Caucasian population declining in the face of surging Hispanics and other others. The injustice of it all!

Last edited:
Pure Caucasian population declining in the face of surging Hispanics and others. The injustice of it all!

Thus you fail at listening and caring, which is failing at civility and is also failing at demonstrating wisdom.

Many within the majority (including me) do attempt to understand the populists perspective and simply disagree. Believing that “if only they understood my perspective they would agree” is no more logical/reasonable than when the other side says the same thing. The problem, IMO, is that in the Trump era it’s all “my way or the highway”. Each side is firmly entrenched, unwilling to seek compromise. Unfortunately for the populists/Trump supporters, they are in the minority, and have little chance of change in their favor over the long run. That puts the burden of compromise mostly on their shoulders.

My question is, and what the dems should be asking themselves is, what happens when all those 63 million lose by any means necessary? Will we all sit tight? me thinks not!

I think that some fair-minded Democrats agree that some blue states are going to turn a blind eye to non-citizens voting in 2020. And no doubt some Democratic officials are planning other tricks in order to guarantee that they win in 2020.

Republicans and Independents are good sports. Maybe there will be a court challenge, but there will be NO "unpleasant" events.

Remember when Senator Kennedy won in 1960 possibly because of stuffed ballot boxes in Illinois and Texas? Vice President Nixon, his opponent, refused to contest the results. Why? Because he felt it would be bad for our country. Contrast that patriotic attitude with those Democrats who are still trying to overthrow the results of the 2016 election. Some people are decent; others are not.

Have a nice day!

I think that some fair-minded Democrats agree that some blue states are going to turn a blind eye to non-citizens voting in 2020. And no doubt some Democratic officials are planning other tricks in order to guarantee that they win in 2020.

Republicans and Independents are good sports. Maybe there will be a court challenge, but there will be NO "unpleasant" events.

Remember when Senator Kennedy won in 1960 possibly because of stuffed ballot boxes in Illinois and Texas? Vice President Nixon, his opponent, refused to contest the results. Why? Because he felt it would be bad for our country. Contrast that patriotic attitude with those Democrats who are still trying to overthrow the results of the 2016 election. Some people are decent; others are not.

Have a nice day!

You seem to be unaware that the courts are rotted out:

Lawless Federal Judges Are Winning Their War against the Trump Administration
It’s déjà vu all over again. A federal judge has blocked a lawful Trump-administration policy, essentially enshrining the Obama administration’s policy choices in social-justice granite. The practical result is a judicial equivalent of a one-way ratchet. The pattern is clear:

Step One: The Obama administration uses its executive power to implement a progressive policy (such as DACA or the contraceptive mandate).

Step Two: The Trump administration uses its executive power to repeal the Obama-administration action and implement a more conservative policy.

Step Three: Progressive plaintiffs file suit in a friendly jurisdiction using dubious legal theories to seek a broad injunction against the Trump-administration action.

Step Four: Progressive judges join the #Resistance, write obviously flawed opinions, and seek to freeze Obama’s policies in legal amber.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2019...g-their-war-against-the-trump-administration/

Petitioning the courts for justice is most certainly no indication that justice will be forthcoming.

Sorry to say, you are wrong, it is racism. I know it when I see and hear it as I lived with it for the first 21 years of my life while living in the South. The attitudes are the same as the quiet racism I saw beneath the surface there, even with those who were not overtly racist. If you look at the Trump backers you have to notice that they are overwhelming white. What used to be whispers in the back rooms discussing white supremacy, white nationalism, and even the "changing nature" of our country have now come out in the open. I even read an OP on this board about the "real" difference in the races, pointing out the smaller brains of those of brown races. I am sure there are many who follow Trump would tell you they are not racist and they believe as you do that it is about rebellion, but what comes out of their mouths and writings, even on this OP, is basically racist.

[emphasis added by bubba for those who would be otherwise unable to 'get' it]

DRAMATIC-IRONY.jpg

Petitioning the courts for justice is most certainly no indication that justice will be forthcoming.

You are 100% right.

But that is the ONLY thing that Republicans, Independents, and honest Democrats can do.

No one in his/her right mind would want to resort to "other" methods of protest.

Quite frankly, I agree with those people who feel that we have passed the point of no return and that the situation is hopeless.

The only solution lies in emigrating to another country or a peaceful division of the country. E.g., Yugoslavia, Czechoslovakia, Sudan.

Are you endorsing that opinion? This is anti-Shapiro and anti-Peterson:
Carlson's diatribe was a cry of injustice against the order of things that has prevailed in the U.S. since the election of Ronald Reagan. No wonder that the strongest pushback has come from Reagan-worshipping conservative intellectuals like David French and Ben Shapiro, who doubled down on the center-right variant of the meritocratic ideals affirmed by most of the ruling class: Stop whining. Take responsibility for yourself. If you have talent and a good work ethic, you will succeed. If you fail, that's no one's fault but your own. It's certainly not the fault of bankers, hedge-fund managers, and CEOs, whose wealth is the fruit of their own hard work and which benefits everyone as it trickles down through the economy. Encouraging those who are struggling to blame others for their failures risks building support for big government, which will only strangle the economy, leaving everyone worse off.

Sorry to say, you are wrong, it is racism. I know it when I see and hear it as I lived with it for the first 21 years of my life while living in the South. The attitudes are the same as the quiet racism I saw beneath the surface there, even with those who were not overtly racist. If you look at the Trump backers you have to notice that they are overwhelming white. What used to be whispers in the back rooms discussing white supremacy, white nationalism, and even the "changing nature" of our country have now come out in the open. I even read an OP on this board about the "real" difference in the races, pointing out the smaller brains of those of brown races. I am sure there are many who follow Trump would tell you they are not racist and they believe as you do that it is about rebellion, but what comes out of their mouths and writings, even on this OP, is basically racist.

Correct. The OP linked opinion makes a couple of good points, but what you wrote is just a true.

"gimmie back the 1950's when the blacks, queers and non-christians shut up and hid in closets". Trump played to that.

The American Elite Sadly Suck Now.

Is he part of the "American Elite?

maxresdefault.jpg

LOL, like Trump isn't an "elite". He's about as elite as they come. The only thing that makes him acceptable to The Cult is that he talks like he doesn't read and talks trash because he knows nothing about pretty much everything.

Can anyone tell that The Cult grew up while they were still producing Star Wars movies? (I would have said "films' but that's way too elite)...

Last edited:
LOL, like Trump isn't an "elite". He's about as elite as they come. The only thing that makes him acceptable to The Cult is that he talks like he doesn't read and talks trash because he knows nothing about pretty much everything.

Can anyone tell that The Cult grew up while they were still producing Star Wars movies?...

Which Star Wars movies are you referring to? The originals, the prequels or the sequels?

Pure Caucasian population declining in the face of surging Hispanics and other others. The injustice of it all!

Oh no, what will happen to western civilization?!

I only asked the question because I wanted to clarify what you meant by “the Star Wars” films

The films where the proletariat rebellion battles the 'elites', isn't that the plot of every one?...

Back
Top Bottom