• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It Has Been Almost 8 Years Since a Major Hurricane Struck the US Coast

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
From Forbes: It has been 7 years 10 months since a hurricane category 3 or higher has struck the US coast. That's an all time record for major hurricane droughts.

We are half way through the 2013 hurricane season and there have been no hurricanes at all in the Atlantic Ocean.

Over all, there have been fewer major hurricanes per decade (5.4) since 1950 than there were in the 50 years before 1950 (8.4).

Considering total strikes on the US coast, strong and mild hurricanes, the highest total was in the 1880s and the lowest so far was in the 1970s.

The idea that hurricanes are increasing in number and strength is wrong.

You're kidding, right? I had no idea Hurricane Sandy was chopped liver.

Hurricane Sandy was a very large storm but not an abnormally strong storm. As I recall, the storm hit during a time of a full moon and the effects of that on high tides at the time it came ashore in New Jersey, etc. multiplied the flooding effects of the storm.

The OP is correct - the doom and gloomers in the Al Gore camp were telling us there would be at least 3 to 5 Hurricane Katrinas each year and were blowing more hot wind than any storm since.

From Forbes: It has been 7 years 10 months since a hurricane category 3 or higher has struck the US coast. That's an all time record for major hurricane droughts.

We are half way through the 2013 hurricane season and there have been no hurricanes at all in the Atlantic Ocean.

Over all, there have been fewer major hurricanes per decade (5.4) since 1950 than there were in the 50 years before 1950 (8.4).

Considering total strikes on the US coast, strong and mild hurricanes, the highest total was in the 1880s and the lowest so far was in the 1970s.

The idea that hurricanes are increasing in number and strength is wrong.

I'm not sure of the stats, but if you're trying to argue that there are fewer hurricanes, and that they aren't increasing in strength, shouldn't you be pointing to the total number of hurricanes, not just the ones hitting our coast?

You're kidding right, you don't know that Hurricane Sandy hit dead center on the lowest place on the American coast? It wasn't that big, it's where it made landfall. You do know Nawlins is mostly below sea level don't you? You do know that after the hurricane everyone was walking around like no big deal, then the dykes broke and everything flooded. C'mon mid, you are smarter than you pretend to be.

I'm not sure of the stats, but if you're trying to argue that there are fewer hurricanes, and that they aren't increasing in strength, shouldn't you be pointing to the total number of hurricanes, not just the ones hitting our coast?

I was going to get to that. Seems the author of the Forbes piece cherry picked his data.

You're kidding right, you don't know that Hurricane Sandy hit dead center on the lowest place on the American coast? It wasn't that big, it's where it made landfall. You do know Nawlins is mostly below sea level don't you? You do know that after the hurricane everyone was walking around like no big deal, then the dykes broke and everything flooded. C'mon mid, you are smarter than you pretend to be.

Hurricane Sandy was a category 3. It does not take much brain power to know that.

I was deployed as disaster relief for Irene and Sandy. Those were no minor hurricanes.
So? Sandy, not hurricane Sandy, hit a little BS resort and cottage town.
Andrew cut a swath completely through our state with winds over 200 miles per hour at some points.
Sandy? Pfffffffft

You're kidding right, you don't know that Hurricane Sandy hit dead center on the Lowest place on the American coast? It Wasn't that Big, it's where it made landfall.
What?
Sandy was Huge.
The whole East Coast is a Beach.

sawyerlogginon said:
You do know Nawlins is mostly below sea level don't you? You do know that after the hurricane everyone was walking around like no big deal, then the dykes broke and everything flooded. C'mon mid, you are smarter than you pretend to be.
Sandy Hit the Northeast NOT "Nawlins".
You're confusing it with Katrina.
Sawyer DUHS it again.

EDIT to the below rjay post.
WTF is that?
Who "misinterpreted" sawyer? How?
The below post is Incoherent and just more personal/partisan Clownery with NO Topical Content.

Tho he does unwittingly insult sawyer by calling him a "big target" and Not letting him defend himself. (not there is a defense for his confusion)
Another 'duhs it again'.

Last edited:
What!
Sandy was Huge.
The whole East Coast is a Beach.

Sandy Hit the Northeast NOT "Nawlins".
You're confusing it with Katrina.
Sawyer DUHS it again.

Surely you can debate Sawyer without resorting to misinterpreting his post. He is a big target and provides you with plenty of ammo.
Try again and this time with feeling.

Sorry, but the conclusion is the same:

global_major_freq.jpg

When hurricane Sandy made landfall it was a category 2.

Last edited:
They both cut through my neighborhood. They were hardly minor and DC wasn't even hit the worst.

I remember we just moved to a new apartment in Alexandria when Irene hit, and I got deployed to go up to NYC and NJ while my wife and dog had to ride out the storm in an empty apartment.

I can think of a lot of adjectives for that hurricane. "Minor" definitely would not be among them.

So? Sandy, not hurricane Sandy, hit a little BS resort and cottage town.
Andrew cut a swath completely through our state with winds over 200 miles per hour at some points.
Sandy? Pfffffffft

Please educate yourself....

Source: Hurricane Sandy was the deadliest and most destructive hurricane of the 2012 Atlantic hurricane season, as well as the second-costliest hurricane in United States history.

Last edited:
Sorry, but that's completely wrong.

So are you going to stand by the argument that Atlantic hurricanes are less frequent now than let's say, the 60 year time frame beforehand? (1890-1950 <= you vs 1951-2010 <= me?) If so, I am willing to wager a $50 Platinum donation that you are wrong. You seem quite confident so -- in your eyes -- this should be an easy bet. What do you say?

So are you going to stand by the argument that Atlantic hurricanes are less frequent now than let's say, the 60 year time frame beforehand? (1890-1950 <= you vs 1951-2010 <= me?) If so, I am willing to wager a $50 Platinum donation that you are wrong. You seem quite confident so -- in your eyes -- this should be an easy bet. What do you say?

Why don't you just show us the data.

I remember we just moved to a new apartment in Alexandria when Irene hit, and I got deployed to go up to NYC and NJ while my wife and dog had to ride out the storm in an empty apartment.

I can think of a lot of adjectives for that hurricane. "Minor" definitely would not be among them.

Please educate yourself....

Sandy was a category 2 storm when it made landfall in NJ & NY.

You seem confident, put your money where your mouth is.

I've already posted the data I have on hurricane frequency and intensity going back for several decades in this thread. If you have something that contradicts it then let's see it.

Back
Top Bottom