• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It appears the Dems have an infrastructure plan....

Xelor

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Democrats have unveiled their goals for America's infrastructure.
  • Roads, Bridges & Transit:
    • Build world-class transportation systems that increase safety, lower costs for commuters and businesses and get goods to market quicker.
  • High-Speed Internet:
    • Close the rural-urban divide and build out high-speed broadband in unserved and underserved areas in both rural communities and large cities.
  • Rail:
    • Improve our nation’s inter-city passenger railroads and high-speed rail.
    • Implement lifesaving Positive Train Control technology.

ucmc1020679.jpg

Positive-Train-Control-System-Overview.png
  • Schools:
    • Leverage federal, state and local resources to invest $107 billion in critical physical and digital infrastructure needs in schools while creating 1.9 million jobs. [Aside: I hate "leverage" used as a verb, that's what "they" wrote.]
  • Airports:
    • Increase public investment in our airports and aviation system.
  • Ports & Inland Waterways:
  • Water:
    • [Address] our drinking and wastewater infrastructure so that all Americans in both urban and rural areas have reliable access to safe and clean water.
  • Energy:
    • Improve and modernize our aging energy infrastructure.
    • Expand renewable energy infrastructure.
    • Strengthen our bioenergy capabilities.
    • Invest in energy efficiency retrofits and smart communities.

Some of you may recall that Trump promised to, within his first 100 days, (1) fix America’s Water and environmental infrastructure, and (2) fight for passage of the American Energy and Infrastructure Act (AEIA). We all water and environmental infrastructure hasn't been fixed. When was the last time you heard anything, if anything, about the AEIA? Um, Nov. 2017....The Senate introduced the bill in June 2018 and we've not since heard a peep about it.

Let's see what infrastructure measures the Dems can get introduced in the House and forwarded to the Senate and Trump so that we can realize the benefits of infrastructure repairs, upgrades and innovations.

Some of you may recall that Trump promised to, within his first 100 days, (1) fix America’s Water and environmental infrastructure, and (2) fight for passage of the American Energy and Infrastructure Act (AEIA). We all water and environmental infrastructure hasn't been fixed. When was the last time you heard anything, if anything, about the AEIA? Um, Nov. 2017....The Senate introduced the bill in June 2018 and we've not since heard a peep about it.

Let's see what infrastructure measures the Dems can get introduced in the House and forwarded to the Senate and Trump so that we can realize the benefits of infrastructure repairs, upgrades and innovations.

Yep...... just like the last democrat congress. But they were too busy with that "watchamaycallit" bill.

Yep...... just like the last democrat congress. But they were too busy with that "watchamaycallit" bill.

So where is the infrastructure bill from the Republican congress or Trump? Oh yeah, he's too busy trying to get the American Taxpayer to foot out the bill for his wall that he said Mexico was going to pay for like the liar he is.

That is a Bill Clinton grocery list (do you remember how he would stand up at the SOTUs and list dozens of things he wanted to get done that year, almost none of them ever getting attempted, and fewer getting done?) not a plan. They need to get down to a small number of items, and then make a plan to accomplish them.

Not the worst thing ever, our infrastructure needs help. But gonna cost some dollars.

So where is the infrastructure bill from the Republican congress or Trump? Oh yeah, he's too busy trying to get the American Taxpayer to foot out the bill for his wall that he said Mexico was going to pay for like the liar he is.

Ummm..... the OP is suggesting that the Dem's are going to do this.

What does this have to do with the republicans?

Your last administration overlooked infrastructure to save the banks that they were supposed to be checking on to begin with.

The laughable democrats can't do anything about it because if they raise taxes (like they said they will) they are a two year congress.

Fannie Mae says hello!

This again? :lamo

That is a Bill Clinton grocery list (do you remember how he would stand up at the SOTUs and list dozens of things he wanted to get done that year, almost none of them ever getting attempted, and fewer getting done?) not a plan. They need to get down to a small number of items, and then make a plan to accomplish them.

You can't very well complain about the Dems' plan when your man showed up and said my great plan is.....is....is we make states give tax incentives for the private sector to build things and I don't have to do ****.

He wanted to repair our crumbling infrastructure. That'll cost trillions. Nothing has happened. At least the Dems have an idea of things that need to happen. I doubt Trump was even entirely certain what "infrastructure" is.

You can't very well complain about the Dems' plan when your man showed up and said my great plan is.....is....is we make states give tax incentives for the private sector to build things and I don't have to do ****.

He wanted to repair our crumbling infrastructure. That'll cost trillions. Nothing has happened. At least the Dems have an idea of things that need to happen. I doubt Trump was even entirely certain what "infrastructure" is.

You are going to be so hard up when Trump is gone, what a humongous hole in your life that is going to be.

Its the same "idea" they have had for many years. When they have the power and ability to do something about it, the democratic party finds other ideas to occupy their time. Then pull out the list agian when needed claiming things will be different this time.

You are going to be so hard up when Trump is gone, what a humongous hole in your life that is going to be.

I'm not the subject.

The subject is how the Dems' have something of a plan or at the very least a list of things that do need to be done, whereas your favorite guy blundered in and tried to wing it. But apparently, not having a plan or a clue is less contemptible than thinking about a problem and identifying specific things that need to happen.

Last edited:
I'm not the subject.

The subject is how the Dems' have something of a plan or at the very least a list of things that do need to be done, whereas your favorite guy blundered in and tried to wing it. But apparently, not having a plan or a clue is less contemptible than thinking about a problem and identifying specific things that need to happen.

There is no lack of understanding of what is wrong with Americas infrastructure, the experts have been talking about it for many decades. .

There is no lack of understanding of what is wrong with Americas infrastructure, the experts have been talking about it for many decades. .

And yet the guy you support (in Trump) and the Republicans have done NOTHING. BE BETTER

And yet the guy you support (in Trump) and the Republicans have done NOTHING. BE BETTER

...You took the words right out of my mouth. LOL

I was literally about to write exactly what you have above....Just as I scrolled to expose the submit button, I saw your post.

:doh

Ok, try to follow this: there is a lack of understanding and that lack of understanding is on the part of Trump.

There is also a lack of will and that is on the part of the GOP, the bulk of whose existing congressmen will be dead by the time bridges start collapsing with their grandchildrens' cars on them. They understand but they don't give half a **** because votes depend on their not giving. Say, does that remind you of an acronym beginning with A and ending with W?

Here are the things we need to think about any idea that we are going to spend more gobs of the Kids/Grandkids/Unborn's money this time on infrastructure.....we dont have the workers because we dont have enough people who want to do real work nor do we have reasonably functional systems to train people. America is too broken now for that. So we are going to have to import workers and then they will take much of the wages out of America. The other is that America is so corrupt now that huge chunks of the funds are skimmed off by the owners of the firms, something like a third of the money is flat out wasted.

:doh

Ok, try to follow this: there is a lack of understanding and that lack of understanding is on the part of Trump.

There is also a lack of will and that is on the part of the GOP, the bulk of whose existing congressmen will be dead by the time bridges start collapsing with their grandchildrens' cars on them. They understand but they don't give half a **** because votes depend on their not giving. Say, does that remind you of an acronym beginning with A and ending with W?

What would you like to wager that when the Dems get any infrastructure measure passed, GOP-ers will decry it on account of the deficit/debt, to which their measures contributed, per the CBO, over $1T....

Here are the things we need to think about any idea that we are going to spend more gobs of the Kids/Grandkids/Unborn's money on infrastructure.....we dont have the workers because we dont have enough people who want to do real work nor do we have reasonably functional systems to train people. America is too broken now for that. So we are going to have to import workers and then they will take much of the wages out of America. The other is that America is so corrupt now that huge chunks of the funds are skimmed off by the owners of the firms, something like a third of the money is flat out wasted.

Oh but you support the guy who wants to spend billions on a wall that he lied and said Mexico was going to pay for.

So your solution is to do nothing and continue to let an infrastructure continue to crumble. BE BETTER

Oh but you support the guy who wants to spend billions on a wall that he lied and said Mexico was going to pay for.

So your solution is to do nothing and continue to let an infrastructure continue to crumble. BE BETTER

You clearly have comprehension issues.

And Trumpity-Trump-Trump-Trump issues.

My take from the OP article. It is a nice idea. The question I have for the 1Trillion dollar govt. investment. How are the Dems wanting to pay for it. Glancing at the link I didn't see how they want to pay for it. The Dems have made statements on the current 2018 budget deficit and how much has been added to the debt.

Seems to me the proposal just adds to more debt and more borrowing. Maybe someday we will have a balanced budget and a reduced debt.

What would you like to wager that when the Dems get any infrastructure measure passed, GOP-ers will decry it on account of the deficit/debt, to which their measures contributed, per the CBO, over $1T....

Am I supposed to be wagering against that happening?

Give me 1:10,000 odds then.

The bigger hurdle is the simple fact that a lot of tax dollars are going to be required to do the work we need to do. Anyone who paid the slightest bit of attention knows there is a ton. Roads, bridges, tunnels, pipes, electric grid, etc. And the GOP has tanked revenue twice over and more times in smaller doses, over the last 20ish years.

So to raise the necessary revenue, the Dems are going to have to piss everyone who unreasonably got used to their unreasonably low tax rates off.....piss them off so much as to endanger the very programs. So it'll have to be bit by bit if at all. I'll bet that even as bridges start collapsing, people aren't going to want to see tax dollars go up. After all, what does some Republican in North Dakota care about a bridge in NY?

And I could keep ranting, because now we get to the question of whether the EC as constituted makes sense when half its justification was to placate slave states and demographics were completely different. I don't have the exact numbers on hand, but the bulk of the GDP is concentrated in blue cities/states. Meanwhile, the EC means that a smaller population of rural red state people have far more power per capita. Even if we focus on those concerns of the founders about cities dictating to rural folk, we also have to consider the fact that if they didn't like that they also wouldn't necessarily want rural folk dictating to cities.

It's a mess squashed in a logjam engulfed by a cluster****, and I suspect things will get far worse before anything changes.

You clearly have comprehension issues.

And Trumpity-Trump-Trump-Trump issues.

Nope, I’m spot on. You just are mad because I speak the truth, unlike your comments. BE BETTER

Back
Top Bottom