• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Issues important to voters right now and which party will best address them

gbg3

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Karl Rove did an interesting segment today on the Journal Editorial Report. The topic was three of the issues high on voters' minds at present and which party is considered the one which will do a better job at addressing them. He used the most recent NBC poll for his reference.
The difference in the numbers thinking the GOP will do a better job vs the Dems - with the economy, immigration and border security has never been greater than it is now, since some of these questions were first asked in the 1990s.

Screenshot 2022-09-24 195006.png

Last edited:
And related to immigration, border security:

Screenshot 2022-09-24 195425.png

I know which party won't.

IMO the Democrats are hoping 2 issues will win the day in November.

1. Abortion.

2. MAGAt's are EEEVIL!

Now those may be an issue in 2024. Time will tell.

But right now, much like with Trump in 2018 when the Democrats re-took the House, the people are more concerned with the NOW and how responsible the Party in power is for their problems.

So as you point out Abortion is #5, and while the "threat to Democracy" is number 2, that is a wash as BOTH Party's see the other as the threat to Democracy. That leaves Jobs, the Economy, and the cost of living way ahead, followed by Immigration.

I'd say with that being the situation, Republicans are looking good for the mid-terms.

Karl Rove did an interesting segment today on the Journal Editorial Report. The topic was three of the issues high on voters' minds at present and which party is considered the one which will do a better job at addressing them. He used the most recent NBC poll for his reference.
The difference in the numbers thinking the GOP will do a better job vs the Dems - with the economy, immigration and border security has never been greater than it is now, since some of these questions were first asked in the 1990s.

View attachment 67414840
Have the GOP ever come up with a way to solve problems facing the country except to cut taxes for the wealthy, what many call the trickle down theory. You hear them now talking about the problems of cost of living and blaming it on the Dems and Biden, but what you do not hear is their solution. I suspect they have none except what the Fed is doing now. I do not blame the inflation directly on the Dems, but the economy came back too fast and the problems of supply and Ukraine war have caused a lot of the problems. People complained about Obama's approach to the economy, saying it came back too slowly, but we had a 6 year period of sustained economic growth with practically no inflation. That was due to economic growth that kept demand and supply in balance.

1. Abortion.

2. MAGAt's are EEEVIL!

But right now, much like with Trump in 2018 when the Democrats re-took the House, the people are more concerned with the NOW and how responsible the Party in power is for their problems.

So as you point out Abortion is #5, and while the "threat to Democracy" is number 2, that is a wash as BOTH Party's see the other as the threat to Democracy. That leaves Jobs, the Economy, and the cost of living way ahead, followed by Immigration.

I'd say with that being the situation, Republicans are looking good for the mid-terms.
That's what Rove thinks. His conclusion was very close to what you just described.

Republicans have been hammering the border and ginning up fear of the Other. It is a tried a true method throughout history. I think it works for them.

WOW.
Carl Rove and a right wing Fox program favor Republicans.
Who would have ever imagined that.
Typical Fox propaganda programming.

1. Abortion.

2. MAGAt's are EEEVIL!

Mid terms are always favorable to the party out of party, especially if there is any economic problems. If finally getting the SCOTUS to overturn Roe came at a bad time for the GOP, this was it. I do think democracy will hurt the GOP more than the Dems because of January 6th. IN the end though, gerrymandering and voter suppression will help the GOP to take over the House and have a chance at the Senate, even with the terrible candidates some of the State GOP have put up. I saw a talking head questioning a voter from Georgia about who they would vote for for Senate. The voter said she new that Walker was not really qualified to be a Senator, but she would still vote for him rather than a dem.

If they were to poll only women, there's one issue there that would be #1 for most. I guess we will see who comes out to vote in November. For women, the right to healthcare is a fundamental one, and the economy, immigration, or any other issue doesn't compare. We are too busy trying to keep our rights at the moment. I'm not surprised the Republicans are dismissing this as a concern, but I feel they're in for a shock when voting begins. There will be a lot of women voting this time, way more than you've seen in the past, and they won't be just Democratic. The silent vote you'll feel from Republican women will add up quickly. They want good healthcare too. They aren't willing to sacrifice their kid's health, or their own for a political party.

Republicans have been hammering the border and ginning up fear of the Other. It is a tried a true method throughout history. I think it works for them.
In Wisconsin the attack ads are calling Barnes "not one of us". As you might have guessed, Barnes is black and those words have veered toward racism.

2-AED035-E-DF64-4017-8-F5-E-0-BC0-F273-AE2-F.png

Last edited:
In Wisconsin the attack ads are calling Barnes "not one of us". As you might have guessed, Barnes is black and those words have veered toward racism.

That makes sense. It may be effective in the burbs.

Most of these issues have been around since the '70s. The politicians have no idea, much less desire, to actually solve them. They tell lies and make half-baked attempts at addressing them for reelection's sake. Then tell you the opposition's methods are wrong and will ruin the country.

It's a shell game to keep the voters preoccupied while the gov officials line their pockets and covet seats of power and notoriety.

Karl Rove makes one funny assumption: Voters are rational.

If they were to poll only women, there's one issue there that would be #1 for most. I guess we will see who comes out to vote in November. For women, the right to healthcare is a fundamental one, and the economy, immigration, or any other issue doesn't compare. We are too busy trying to keep our rights at the moment. I'm not surprised the Republicans are dismissing this as a concern, but I feel they're in for a shock when voting begins. There will be a lot of women voting this time, way more than you've seen in the past, and they won't be just Democratic. The silent vote you'll feel from Republican women will add up quickly. They want good healthcare too. They aren't willing to sacrifice their kid's health, or their own for a political party.
If by "healthcare", you mean abortion - Dems do have the advantage on the abortion topic in the NBC poll. There is no doubt the SCOTUS decision gave Dems an issue to run on and that issue has benefited Dems in polling (on that particular topic).
I guess we'll have to see if states figuring out their abortion stances vs Roe being in place ends up being so important to women voters that the economy and immigration/border pale in comparison for them. That's not an assumption I'd make.

Most of these issues have been around since the '70s. The politicians have no idea, much less desire, to actually solve them. They tell lies and make half-baked attempts at addressing them for reelection's sake. Then tell you the opposition's methods are wrong and will ruin the country.

It's a shell game to keep the voters preoccupied while the gov officials line their pockets and covet seats of power and notoriety.
Issues are what politicians use to attract voters, what would they have to campaign with if they were to solve them?

If by "healthcare", you mean abortion - Dems do have the advantage on the abortion topic in the NBC poll. There is no doubt the SCOTUS decision gave Dems an issue to run on and that issue has benefited Dems in polling (on that particular topic).
I guess we'll have to see if states figuring out their abortion stances vs Roe being in place ends up being so important to women voters that the economy and immigration/border pale in comparison for them. That's not an assumption I'd make.
Yes, we will.

People who think the GOP is better for “the economy” are just random who pay no attention to politics or the economy.

We are seeing record discrepancies in new voter registrations. Women who have never voted before are vastly outnumbering men. Making raped children travel out of state for an abortion woke a lot of people the **** up.

By healthcare, I mean exactly that. The abortion procedure is used to protect women during pregnancy as well as children, and medication now that might harm a fetus is off the table for us. Doctors are scared to treat us, and pharmacies are afraid to give us needed medication. We are already suffering the consequences of this imposed law.
It makes having babies, that you want, dangerous. It makes pregnancy dangerous. So yes, we are experiencing and watching others experiencing a decline in our healthcare, just because we are the ones who can get pregnant. It's not something most women will sacrifice, their health and well-being, for political party loyalty. It's a big issue for women and families with children who would have to carry a rapist's child.

On my women's forum, there are a ton of Republican women saying they'll vote Dem this mid-term over that abortion ban. We've been coming together, while the rest of you fight out the political bullshit. Some won't even tell their MAGA husbands they're doing it. They know the repercussions, but your vote is protected, and not even your spouse will know when you vote, or what you voted.

Women are used to protecting their families, and themselves silently. We've been doing this for years. But I'll tell you one thing, women aren't fighting each other over this, we are coming together, because this is beyond reasonable, and dwarfs the economy by a long shot. That will change, but our health could be damaged for life.

So, I won't be surprised if anyone attached to this ban, or future bans, will be in trouble at the box this November. If what I'm seeing is true, they won't get many votes from moms, daughters, or sisters.

Back
Top Bottom