• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Israel's answer to flotillas – helping Gaza's children'

ido_

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
'Israel's answer to flotillas

The EU is expected to issue a 400,000 euro ($496,000) grant towards the project, while Minister for Regional Cooperation Silvan Shalom announced his office would allocate NIS 1 million (about $260,000) to the program, enough to perform an additional 250 surgeries a year.

"At a time when the world is debating Israel's actions in Gaza, our answer to the next flotilla is this project and saving children from Gaza," Minister Shalom said during a ceremony held at the hospital Sunday. "We are not engaged in a conflict with the Palestinian people, but with the Palestinian Authority and Hamas."

Glad to see positive things are being done and that ossification and bitterness arent the results despite how heated things get between the two sides of the issue.

Israel also has an outstanding program called - Save A Child's Heart - in which children from all over the globe (including Palestine) with cardiac problems are brought to Israel for whatever surgeries, treatments, medicines, and follow-up care is necessary to save lives. Everything is provided free of charge.

Save a Child's Heart

Israel also has an outstanding program called - Save A Child's Heart - in which children from all over the globe (including Palestine) with cardiac problems are brought to Israel for whatever surgeries, treatments, medicines, and follow-up care is necessary to save lives. Everything is provided free of charge.

Save a Child's Heart

thats what the article is talking about ;)

I'm very fond of organisations such as the one mentioned in the OP but as far as I know Edith Wolfson Medical Center is not govenrment funded. So why "Israel" ?

I'm very fond of organisations such as the one mentioned in the OP but as far as I know Edith Wolfson Medical Center is not govenrment funded. So why "Israel" ?

because the article clearly says:
Shalom announced his office would allocate NIS 1 million (about $260,000) to the program, enough to perform an additional 250 surgeries a year

because the article clearly says:

Yes, to the organisation, not to treat Palestinian children in particular. They treat children from all over the world, why then underline the fact that Palestinain children are among them ? Why link that with the flotillas ?

Yes, to the organisation, not to treat Palestinian children in particular. They treat children from all over the world, why then underline the fact that Palestinain children are among them ? Why link that with the flotillas ?

Hullo Mira, nice to see you. :)

It says that the EU money will be used to train Palestinian Dr's and to treat Palestinian children, and I think it it highlighting that co-operation is possible.

Funds transferred by the EU will be used to train Palestinian physicians, to operate on Palestinian children with heart problems and to support joint Israeli-Palestinian community activity.

European Union Ambassador to Israel Andrew Standley said during the ceremony at Wolfson that the project proves that Israel and the Palestinians can cooperate.

Most of the kids treated are Palestinians.

Most of the kids treated are Palestinians.

The article says almost half of the children, nit most, but that's quite alot anyway.

But why is it that Israeli, foreign and Palestinian children combined, the Palestinian children still form almost half of the kids that need help ?

Hello alexa :2wave: just passing by

The article says almost half of the children, nit most, but that's quite alot anyway.

But why is it that Israeli, foreign and Palestinian children combined, the Palestinian children still form almost half of the kids that need help ?

Hello alexa :2wave: just passing by

I don't know, mybe because its easier to get a Palestinian kid in a 1.5-2 hour drive to an Israeli hospital than smuggeling an Iranian kid in all sorts of ways out of Iran and into Israel (though I remember reading about an Iranian child too).
BTW, putting this initiative on the side, the corridors of Hadasa Har-Hatzofim for example are crowded with Palestinian patiants, nurses and doctors along Israeli patiants, nurses and doctors.

Back
Top Bottom