• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Israeli troops fire shots at Lebanon border: army

expandmymind

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
BEIRUT - Israeli soldiers on Monday fired over the heads of Lebanese troops working on fortifications on the tense border between the two countries, a military spokesman told AFP.
"Lebanese soldiers were working at their positions in the Dhayra area when Israeli soldiers fired in the air above their heads," the spokesman said on condition of anonymity.
"The Lebanese army did not respond, and the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) intervened to contain the situation," he said, adding that "the situation has not yet been resolved."
"The Lebanese army was not targeted directly" by the Israelis, he said.

Israeli troops fire shots at Lebanon border: army - Politics - iloubnan.info

This is almost a complete reverse image of the incident last month. Lebanese working near the border while Israelis fire shots over their heads/Israelis working near the border while Lebanese fire shots over their head. The only difference being that the Lebanese did not react in the way Israel did last month.

To me it seems like Israel are trying to force Hezbollah into reacting, giving them the pretense needed for another attempt at wiping out out the organisation/destroying more infrastructure.

Last edited:

This is almost a complete reverse image of the incident last month. Lebanese working near the border while Israelis fire shots over their heads/Israelis working near the border while Lebanese fire shots over their head. The only difference being that the Lebanese did not react in the way Israel did last month.

To me it seems like Israel are trying to force Hezbollah into reacting, giving them the pretense needed for another attempt at wiping out out the organisation/destroying more infrastructure.

There has been a lot of talk of Israel's next war being this year. It seems to have something to do with Iron Dome being completed. Iron Dome system passes final tests

This would in theory allow her to go to war with Lebanon again without fear of too many civilian causalities in Israel which would make the population call for the war to end.

It's bullcrap, never happened, like their claims that the tree from the previous incident was in Lebanese land when they've sniped to death an Israeli high ranking officer, and UNIFIL has made no comment about this incident anyway.
Apparently the Lebanese army is trying to escalate through propaganda.

Last edited:

To me it seems like this is a made up story, are there other reports on this incident with more details? where is the IDF spokesman response? How come UNIFIL doesn't know anything about it? Where are the evidence ???

alexa said:
There has been a lot of talk of Israel's next war being this year. It seems to have something to do with Iron Dome being completed. Iron Dome system passes final tests

This would in theory allow her to go to war with Lebanon again without fear of too many civilian causalities in Israel which would make the population call for the war to end.

Which talks? Mezballah talks?
Israel will not go to war unless it is attacked.

To me it seems like this is a made up story, are there other reports on this incident with more details? where is the IDF spokesman response? How come UNIFIL doesn't know anything about it? Where are the evidence ???

It's bullcrap, never happened, like their claims that the tree from the previous incident was in Lebanese land when they've sniped to death an Israeli high ranking officer, and UNIFIL has made no comment about this incident anyway.
Apparently the Lebanese army is trying to escalate through propaganda.

UNIFIL spokesman Neeraj Singh told AFP the peacekeepers had been informed by the Lebanese military of a shooting incident on the border.

"We are investigating. The situation on the ground is quiet and a UNIFIL patrol is in the area," Singh said.

Israeli troops fire shots at Lebanon border - army | Jordan Times

So you're both just adopting the stance that they must be lying because? They're Arabs?

The Lebanese army has no reason to lie. During the recent skirmish they made their intentions regarding the planned Israel tree chopping clear, and Israel ignored both the warnings of UNIFIL and the Lebanese to wait; to negotiate a thorny issue. But Israel just powered on through [the particulars of this situation were complicated and although Lebanon did not claim it was their territory, the fact that Israel put a fence one place with the border further forward has always been an issue needing addressed. It seems Israel are very reluctant to draw borders that aren't attached to the sea]. And it is not even clear that the Lebanese shot to kill first. They claim they fired warning shots to which Israel replied with deadly force and until UNIFIL publish the results of their investigation we can't know for sure.

Also, Apoc, why on earth would Lebanon want to start hostilities? Are you mad? When Israel take to destroying their entire infrastructure it is clearly madness to suggest that the Lebanese army want a fight with Israel. It is also as insane to claim that Hezbollah do either. After all, if Hezbollah wanted an excuse to fight Israel then they had the perfect opportunity last month and didn't take it. They didn't even look close to starting anything and were calm in their response.

Last edited:

The whole reasons for these 'wars' is simply to flex muscles in the face of Iran and Syria who have a mutual defence treaty, making an attack by Israel on one, an attack on both. It is to show that Israel can and indeed will if necessary be completely brutal. Or, in other words, their 'deterrence policy'.

Which talks? Mezballah talks?
Israel will not go to war unless it is attacked.

It is not something I have generally studied, just something I have seen recurring as I have looked for other things. I understood it was both in Israel and in the Arab world that there is this belief and in respect of Israel it was just the other day I was reading something and it said that once Israel had this Iron Dome an attack on Lebanon was expected.

If you remember some time ago when Mira was on I told her I had been noticing these things and asked her if that was right, that there was this expectation. She said indeed it was but she did not want to discuss it on the forum - nor did she with me off the forum.

It would be insane for the Lebanon to want to attack Israel.

So you're both just adopting the stance that they must be lying because? They're Arabs?

Neither me nor Ido have suggested or even mentioned the possible race of the Lebanese army officials who have made those claims, and your remark consists of baiting.

Now do you have any evidence to back the Lebanese army claims? Because otherwise they do not even deserve a thread of their own, they're merely claims by officials from the Lebanese army.

To answer EMM's question, considering the wide divergence of journalistic standards in the free world (including Israel) vs the Arab states, yes, news that is only "reported" in the Arab press has a very high probability of being made up.

Neither me nor Ido have suggested or even mentioned the possible race of the Lebanese army officials who have made those claims, and your remark consists of baiting.

Now do you have any evidence to back the Lebanese army claims? Because otherwise they do not even deserve a thread of their own, they're merely claims by officials from the Lebanese army.

I don't think it was an unreasonable assumption when I have seen people on this forum dismiss out of hand Palestinian testimony because they are Palestinian. Now Lebanese testimony is being dismissed out of hand it seems like the begginings of a trend.

Any evidence to back up the claims? No, not until UNIFIL have investigated. You saw (I'm not even sure if you actually read my replies to be honest) that
UNIFIL spokesman Neeraj Singh told AFP the peacekeepers had been informed by the Lebanese military of a shooting incident on the border.

"We are investigating. The situation on the ground is quiet and a UNIFIL patrol is in the area," Singh said.

Much like the case last month, we can only really speculate on the particulars until the investigation is complete. I think you're waiting on it being reported here United Nations News Service which probably won't happen due to the fact no one was killed.

The reason I thought it worthy of a thread was due to what I mentioned in the OP. Do keep up. It is almost a mirror image of the incident last month with a telling difference.

Last edited:
To answer EMM's question, considering the wide divergence of journalistic standards in the free world (including Israel) vs the Arab states, yes, news that is only "reported" in the Arab press has a very high probability of being made up.

Can you prove this? Studies I have read in the past (of all media) generally didn't rate Arab media all that low. This hadn't always been the case but things have been steadily improving.

And if you follow the link in the OP you'll see that it was first reported by AFP - not an Arab news source.

Last edited:
I don't think it was an unreasonable assumption when I have seen people on this forum dismiss out of hand Palestinian testimony because they are Palestinian. Now Lebanese testimony is being dismissed out of hand it seems like the begginings of a trend.

Any evidence to back up the claims? No, not until UNIFIL have investigated. You saw (I'm not even sure if you actually read my replies to be honest) that

Much like the case last month, we can only really speculate on the particulars until the investigation is complete. I think you're waiting on it being reported here United Nations News Service which probably won't happen due to the fact no one was killed.

The reason I thought it worthy of a thread was due to what I mentioned in the OP. Do keep up. It is almost a mirror image of the incident last month with a telling difference.

Its not because they are Arabs its because Palestinians are known to lie, they lied about Jenin massacre at 2002, they lied about that father (don't remember his name, mybe Apoc can help me there) who was shot by Israeli sniper while holding his kid (turned out he was shot by Palestinians), and more. Thats just from the press, meeting them in person and hearing all sorts of lies and stories does contribute to my lack of faith in them. If Palestinians were known to be honest we'd take their word for it, it has nothing to do with race.

The Lebanise army had every reason to lie, and they were lieing at the incident few weeks ago, why wouldn't they lie now? I'm waiting for a reliable source that will back these claims, a source that will actually do press work and get the comment of all parties involved, and not relay on a made up story of one side who has a very good reason to make this story up to make them look better after the UN ruled they were responsable for the previous incident.

Its not because they are Arabs its because Palestinians are known to lie, they lied about Jenin massacre at 2002, they lied about that father (don't remember his name, mybe Apoc can help me there) who was shot by Israeli sniper while holding his kid (turned out he was shot by Palestinians), and more.

Mohammed al-Dura.

Mohammed al-Dura.

and the deceipt is so thorough, it is shared by others. Here is a Tunesian postage stamp of the Pallywood event.

al%20dura%20stamp4.jpeg

Its not because they are Arabs its because Palestinians are known to lie, they lied about Jenin massacre at 2002, they lied about that father (don't remember his name, mybe Apoc can help me there) who was shot by Israeli sniper while holding his kid (turned out he was shot by Palestinians), and more. Thats just from the press, meeting them in person and hearing all sorts of lies and stories does contribute to my lack of faith in them. If Palestinians were known to be honest we'd take their word for it, it has nothing to do with race.
Do you have any evidence that Muhammad al-Dura was not killed by Israeli gunfire? Last I read, Israel destroyed most of the evidence for any impartial investigation to ever occur. The wall and the concrete drum they were hiding beside were completely destroyed by General Samia. They destroyed the evidence and then tried to reconstruct what happened. Exactly what type of moronic investigation is that? "Let's get rid of the crime scene so we can make our own and draw our own conclusions".

You have just called every Palestinian a liar. "Palestinians are known to lie..". Name me one race that isn't known to lie? Israel have lied plenty themselves. The cases you mention aren't really great examples. Jenin sure, but one could argue that it was a lie started by your average Palestian, who may well have thought that there had been people killed by the bulldozers. The lie was then picked up and perpetuated but you cannot blame everyone else for jumping on a lie they thought to be true. Even the Palestinian investigation found the claims to be untrue so how you can then go on to say an entire race are 'known to lie', well it's quite simply racist in my opinion. Borderline at best.

The other example you give wasn't actually a lie, because we don't know who's bullet killed the man and his child. It was an assumption and not a completely out of this world one.

ido said:

Lets cross out Palestinian with Jew, and you have an anti-semite with a permanent ban.

wtf.

Last edited:
You have just called every Palestinian a liar. "Palestinians are known to lie..". Name me one race that isn't known to lie? Israel have lied plenty themselves. The cases you mention aren't really great examples. Jenin sure, but one could argue that it was a lie started by your average Palestian, who may well have thought that there had been people killed by the bulldozers. The lie was then picked up and perpetuated but you cannot blame everyone else for jumping on a lie they thought to be true. Even the Palestinian investigation found the claims to be untrue so how you can then go on to say an entire race are 'known to lie', well it's quite simply racist in my opinion. Borderline at best.

The other example you give wasn't actually a lie, because we don't know who's bullet killed the man and his child. It was an assumption and not a completely out of this world one.

I meant the Palestinian leadership and propoganda machine, not individuals.

"the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) intervened to contain the situation"?
Yeah. Right.
We all know how the UNIFIL contains such situations. They are helpless puppet-soldiers thrown in a lions' den.
Chances are that the tension on the Lebanese-Israeli border will escalate. The question is "when", and I suppose it all depends on the triggering incident. All this barrel of gunpowder needs is a good spark and the fireworks begin.

And another little point that needs clearing up- Mohammad Al-Dura was the child, not the father. The kid was shot.

Back
Top Bottom