• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Israel on american campuses [W:9]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redbull

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
There is a lot of pro-palestinian\anti israeli activity on college campuses across the USA. Many comments and articles on student newspapers are anti israeli aswell. Does this mean America's next generation will be pro palestinian ? Does this activity have a long term affect ?

There is a lot of pro-palestinian\anti israeli activity on college campuses across the USA. Many comments and articles on student newspapers are anti israeli aswell. Does this mean America's next generation will be pro palestinian ? Does this activity have a long term affect ?

No, it's mostly a reflection of university life and youthful idealism delivered through a more left-wing lens. I would say that this would generally amount to less than many think. This is not a new issue for campus political life over the past few decades.

No, it's mostly a reflection of university life and youthful idealism delivered through a more left-wing lens. I would say that this would generally amount to less than many think. This is not a new issue for campus political life over the past few decades.

Jon Voight , the actor , was a left wing liberal as a young man , and today he's a conservative republican . I was told that "Today's libs are tomorrow's cons" .

Jon Voight , the actor , was a left wing liberal as a young man , and today he's a conservative republican . I was told that "Today's libs are tomorrow's cons" .

Yes and no. Many times people become more "conservative" (again, what that means is complicated) as they age. Many, however, do not.

Exactly. Redbull, you should have seen the campuses in the 60s and 70s. A decade in the real world generally cures the youthful idealism. :mrgreen:

Exactly. Redbull, you should have seen the campuses in the 60s and 70s. A decade in the real world generally cures the youthful idealism. :mrgreen:

I read about it. Students rebelled and protested the war in Vietnam . However , it didn't change anything . In the 2000's Bush started another two wars . Nothing changed.

Does "anti-Israeli" = one or more of ("anti-Israel" , "anti-Israeli government" , "anti-Semite" )? If the answer is "yes", which?

There is a lot of pro-palestinian\anti israeli activity on college campuses across the USA.
How much? And how does that quantity compare to historical levels?
Many comments and articles on student newspapers are anti israeli aswell.
How much? And how does that quantity compare to historical levels?
Does this mean America's next generation will be pro palestinian ?
I have not seen any indication that the next generation will be any more homogeneous than the last one or current one.

I read about it. Students rebelled and protested the war in Vietnam . However , it didn't change anything . In the 2000's Bush started another two wars . Nothing changed.

Don't underplay the protest movements of the 1960s. Now, the anti-war crowd (as well as those on the Right) will certainly exaggerate the extent to which they were able to impact the war itself, but it did certainly sour the mood of the war. It also helped (there were other complimentary social movements at work) change the overall American political and foreign policy landscape as well as the internal structures of the Democratic Party (and to a much lesser, but still notable extent, the Republican Party).

I don't know about you, but from what I remember from college (which wasn't that long ago), very, very, very few people cared at all about either side. To get strong opinions, you had to go to the debate teams, the Jewish Clubs or the ROTC people. Everyone else didn't care.

I don't know about you, but from what I remember from college (which wasn't that long ago), very, very, very few people cared at all about either side. To get strong opinions, you had to go to the debate teams, the Jewish Clubs or the ROTC people. Everyone else didn't care.

I also read that apathy rules american campuses ...

I was a raging liberal when I was in college. I voted for Al Gore, and attended his rallies. I volunteered for the democratic party.

Today, I'm one of the most conservative people you'll meet and I'm barely 30.

So when I hear liberals boast about "demographic change" and how the new generation is liberal, I have to laugh.

You think the college kids in the 60's and 70's were a bunch of Republicans? Hahahahahah. Read up on it. If anything, today's kids are more conservative than their parents were at that age. Nixon was hated by that generation.

The hippie kids (well most of them) grew up to become the conservatives of today. That's the way of the world.

Depends on the topic.

People have their passions. But the Israeli lobby isn't one of them.

It's the israeli lobby , but the israeli-palestinian conflict. Those kids are forgetting who America's best middle eastern ally is. Here's a hint : it's definetly not Palestine...

I was a raging liberal when I was in college. I voted for Al Gore, and attended his rallies. I volunteered for the democratic party.

Today, I'm one of the most conservative people you'll meet and I'm barely 30.

So when I hear liberals boast about "demographic change" and how the new generation is liberal, I have to laugh.

You think the college kids in the 60's and 70's were a bunch of Republicans? Hahahahahah. Read up on it. If anything, today's kids are more conservative than their parents were at that age. Nixon was hated by that generation.

The hippie kids (well most of them) grew up to become the conservatives of today. That's the way of the world.

Yeah it happens often when people change their minds after college . When your mom and dad pay for you you're free to think whatever , but you have to do everything yourself....

It's the israeli lobby , but the israeli-palestinian conflict. Those kids are forgetting who America's best middle eastern ally is. Here's a hint : it's definetly not Palestine...

It's Turkey. Turkey doesn't suck up billions in welfare, spy on us and have a history of acting like an enemy. Turkey was willing to open itself up to Soviet Nuclear Strikes as part of its alliance with the US.

Turkey is America's best middle eastern ally and has been for quite some time.

It's Turkey. Turkey doesn't suck up billions in welfare, spy on us and have a history of acting like an enemy. Turkey was willing to open itself up to Soviet Nuclear Strikes as part of its alliance with the US.

so you hate israeli people i see. So the college did influence you to hate Israel.

yea, sure they are

2012-634834049938294158-829.jpg

You conclusion doesn't seem to be very well supported by textual evidence at hand. ymmv

Didn't you read what obvious child wrote ? It is supported by textual evidence.

People like this make me realize why israelis aren't welcome in the USA and why an israeli like me will never be welcome in the USA by the people . Nobody in America is nice to israelis, and no one wants israeli people in America. Americans simply hate israelis . It's in their blood . They don't want israelis in their proud nation. They also ban israelis from celebrating July 4th. If an american sees an israeli celebrating July 4th he kills him .

Don't you know the difference between a govt of a country and the people in it?
:shrug:

I heard that bull**** and I don't believe in it . How can you love and respect an israeli if you hate the state of Israel ? you don't view israelis as equal to other nationalities.

I heard that bull**** and I don't believe in it .
believe w/e you would like.
How can you love and respect an israeli if you hate the state of Israel ?
How can one [not hate] someone of any country if you do not like the govt of their country?
Take the US for instance, how can someone dislike the Obama Admin and yet still not hate Americans?
Can it be done?
Or does disliking the Obama Admin mean that you hate Americans?

fwiw
I asked some questions upthread to find out what it is you're trying to say in your OP.

People like this make me realize why israelis aren't welcome in the USA and why an israeli like me will never be welcome in the USA by the people . Nobody in America is nice to israelis, and no one wants israeli people in America. Americans simply hate israelis . It's in their blood . They don't want israelis in their proud nation. They also ban israelis from celebrating July 4th. If an american sees an israeli celebrating July 4th he kills him .
LOL.
I see I have been suckered in.
gj
gl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom