• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Israel easing blockade

Demon of Light

Bohemian Revolutionary
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Israel agreed tonight to a significant easing of its blockade of Gaza, under intense pressure from the international community after its deadly interception last month of boats attempting to break the siege.

Steps to ease the blockade will be implemented "as quickly as possible", according to a statement issued after a meeting of Israel's security cabinet. Tony Blair, the Middle East peace envoy authorised to broker a deal with the Israeli prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu, issued a separate statement covering the same ground but warning that the real test would be "not what is said, but what is done".

The aim of the new policy is to permit "civilian products for the civilian population", Mark Regev, Netanyahu's spokesman, said. It will include:

• A list of prohibited items to be limited to weapons and material - including "dual-use items" - that could be used in manufacturing arms. All other civilian items will be allowed to enter Gaza.

• Building materials for the Palestinian Authority and UN-approved projects to be allowed in.

• Capacity at crossing points to be increased to allow easier access.

• The policy on the movement of people in and out of Gaza to be "streamlined".

Source: The Guardian

This is a good move by Israel from all perspectives and I think they will realize such measures are far more effective at weakening Hamas than the policy of collective punishment.

This is a good move by Israel from all perspectives and I think they will realize such measures are far more effective at weakening Hamas than the policy of collective punishment.

yup a good move, it is critical to keep the naval blockade on the strip and in todays situation Israel must allow all civilian goods via the land crossings, this way we still get to keep a close eye on what goes in and out and who goes in and out. I just hope that Eygpt will do a better job in stopping the smuggling business in and out of the strip.

Good move. Taking children's toys off the banned list means they will not grow up hating Israel so long as their mud-brick houses don't collapse, because cement is still classed as "dual use" and still banned as it might be used to build bunkers.

Good move. Taking children's toys off the banned list means they will not grow up hating Israel so long as their mud-brick houses don't collapse, because cement is still classed as "dual use" and still banned as it might be used to build bunkers.

Actually cement and other building construction materials are allowed, but are only allowed through the use of the UN and the PA.

Last edited:
yup a good move, it is critical to keep the naval blockade on the strip and in todays situation Israel must allow all civilian goods via the land crossings, this way we still get to keep a close eye on what goes in and out and who goes in and out. I just hope that Eygpt will do a better job in stopping the smuggling business in and out of the strip.

There were actually some reports saying they might make changes to the naval blockade as well. Mainly that would involve internationalizing it and allowing aid ships through. Right now it seems Israel is taking a progressive approach and maybe they will lift the naval blockade of non-military supplies if things go well with this.

As it was noted some building materials would be allowed and ultimately lifting the general economic blockade opens other potential avenues of support. Obviously we won't know exactly what is allowed for a while, but all of this is progress.

Good job, I think we can all thanks the Free Gaza Flotilla. They made this happen.

A few more incidents like this and the blockade may eventually be lifted.

Good job, I think we can all thanks the Free Gaza Flotilla. They made this happen.

I thought you said you'd support a military blockade on the Gaza Strip..?

so you want more dead people and violance? well as long as it makes Israel look bad.

Deamon, my understanding is that ships will dock in Ashdod, their cargo will be inspected and from there they will continue to the strip.

Deamon, my understanding is that ships will dock in Ashdod, their cargo will be inspected and from there they will continue to the strip.

Right now that is the situation, but there is talk of Israel allowing aid ships to travel to Gaza after being stopped for inspection, potentially at Cyprus, by an international force like NATO.

Right now that is the situation, but there is talk of Israel allowing aid ships to travel to Gaza after being stopped for inspection, potentially at Cyprus, by an international force like NATO.

Not quite, today ships have to dock in Ashdod, unload and then the cargo will go by land, they want to change it so the ship will be inspected in Ashdod and continue to Gaza's port.
And what is the problem with an inspection in Ashdod? I don't see that NATO is doing such a good job in Lebanon today.

Last edited:
Not quite, today ships have to dock in Ashdod, unload and then the cargo will go by land, they want to change it so the ship will be inspected in Ashdod and continue to Gaza's port.

That is what Israel would prefer, but there is talk of using other ports, like those in Cyprus.

so you want more dead people and violance? well as long as it makes Israel look bad.

It may sound very cynical, but that's what happened: people disagree with the blockade, try to force it, create an incident, the blockaders look bad, there are pressures on them, the blockade is eased.

That's exactly what they wanted to do. I've been saying this from day one.

It may sound very cynical, but that's what happened: people disagree with the blockade, try to force it, create an incident, the blockaders look bad, there are pressures on them, the blockade is eased.

That's exactly what they wanted to do. I've been saying this from day one.

You didn't answer the question do you want more death and violance just to make Israel look bad?

Back
Top Bottom