• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Israel braces for regional escalation ahead of Ahmadinejad's Lebanon visit

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
London-based newspaper Al-Quds Al-Arabi reports Iran leader wants to reach border fence to hurl stones at Israeli soldiers on the other side.
Israel is stepping up preparations for the visit of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to Lebanon next week, during which he is scheduled to visit the country's border area with Israel. Through United Nations, U.S. and French mediators, Israel has urged the Lebanese government to prevent Ahmadinejad from visiting the border and engaging in what Jerusalem described as "provocation." Al-Quds Al-Arabi has reported that Ahmadinejad is interested in reaching the border fence to hurl stones at Israeli soldiers on the other side.
Israel braces for regional escalation ahead of Ahmadinejad's Lebanon visit - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News
3449793502.jpg

Wonder how he'd react if the soldiers threw stones at him too, I reckon they'd be better shots.

He should bring a gas mask, tear gas could really burn your eyes, though it could be fun watching him run against the wind to ease the burn...

This is how much of an idiot this guy is, he is going to travel all the way to Lebanon just to throw rocks at people. :rofl
Now i know by middle east standards this is normal, but for a leader of a country with significant power to engage in such childish nuisance is pathetic.

Could this be taken as an act of war? Ahmedinejad is a theocratic crazy man. If he throws stones I hope the army retaliates as they should.

Could this be taken as an act of war? Ahmedinejad is a theocratic crazy man. If he throws stones I hope the army retaliates as they should.

I do not think empty political gestures are worth starting massive conflicts over. Of course, this is the Middle East. Perhaps different standards apply.

I do not think empty political gestures are worth starting massive conflicts over. Of course, this is the Middle East. Perhaps different standards apply.

When the president of a nation throws rocks at another nations soldiers, that may be taken as an act of war. What would happen if Israel's PM went to the boundary of Iran and threw rocks at Iranian border patrolman? Does he have a right to do this?

When the president of a nation throws rocks at another nations soldiers, that may be taken as an act of war. What would happen if Israel's PM went to the boundary of Iran and threw rocks at Iranian border patrolman? Does he have a right to do this?

Well, I think both Israel and Iran are too sensible to start a war over one of the country's leaders taking such a meaningless action.

Well, I think both Israel and Iran are too sensible to start a war over one of the country's leaders taking such a meaningless action.

Iran wants to destroy Israel without any logical reason. Iran is not sensible at all. I would say it's pretty significant for the leader of a nation to assault the soldiers of another nation with crude weapons (rocks).

Iran wants to destroy Israel without any logical reason. Iran is not sensible at all. I would say it's pretty significant for the leader of a nation to assault the soldiers of another nation with crude weapons (rocks).

I think most people would agree that it is not something worth going to war over. Honestly, if Israel actually fires back with live ammo I am not going to have any sympathy for them if it sparks a regional war. Rather, the responsibility for such a war and its consequences will be squarely on Israel.

I think most people would agree that it is not something worth going to war over. Honestly, if Israel actually fires back with live ammo I am not going to have any sympathy for them if it sparks a regional war. Rather, the responsibility for such a war and its consequences will be squarely on Israel.

I agree that it is a silly thing to start a war over. However, I don't think it should be taken lightly. I think it is even sillier for the leader of a nation to do something like this. Personally, if Ahmedinejad were to do this I think he should be taken prisoner like any other enemy combatant would be if they attacked Israeli soldiers. He should not receive diplomatic immunity, and choosing to throw stones at Israeli soldiers in protest is a very immature and arrogant form of protest.

I agree that it is a silly thing to start a war over. However, I don't think it should be taken lightly. I think it is even sillier for the leader of a nation to do something like this. Personally, if Ahmedinejad were to do this I think he should be taken prisoner like any other enemy combatant would be if they attacked Israeli soldiers. He should not receive diplomatic immunity, and choosing to throw stones at Israeli soldiers in protest is a very immature and arrogant form of protest.

It is generally a silly thing to do when you are not at war or under military occupation. However, that does not mean it is worth the trouble of taking action against anyone let alone when such action would inevitably lead to a much more devastating result. Ahmadinejad wants to toss some stones and smile for the cameras that is fine because it's not like he's actually going to hurt anyone. Doing something about it is far more trouble than letting it pass.

Casus belli - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the post World War Two era, the UN Charter prohibits signatory countries from engaging in war except 1) as a means of defending themselves against aggression, or 2) unless the UN as a body has given prior approval to the operation. The UN also reserves the right to ask member nations to intervene against non-signatory countries which embark on wars of aggression

-- Honestly, if Israel actually fires back with live ammo I am not going to have any sympathy for them if it sparks a regional war. Rather, the responsibility for such a war and its consequences will be squarely on Israel.

A very unrealistic proposition.

You're more likely to get such a reaction from the Iranian Revolutionary Guard (or another Iranian paramilitary group) if Netanyahu were foolish enough to do something similar.

All this proposed action (if true) shows is how foolish the current leader of Iran is.

Actually, according to most other reports I've read, he's not planning to throw stones at Israeli soldiers. That is not what the newspaper said. He's planning to go to Lebanon's border and throw stones over the border as "a symbolic gesture that reflects Iran's hostility towards Israel".

Equally juvenile and idiotic, but there you have it.

http://www.yalibnan.com/2010/09/30/ahmadinejad-views-south-lebanon-as-irans-border-with-israel-report/

To throw stones

In a related development the London-based al-Quds al-Arabi reported that Ahmadinejad intends to throw stones toward Israel from southern Lebanon.

The paper said that the measure is a “symbolic gesture” during Ahmadinejad’s upcoming visit to Lebanon where he is expected to take part in a massive celebration in the border town of Bint Jbeil.

The daily said Ahmadinejad will also inaugurate Fatima border crossing garden from where he will throw stones toward Israel in a move that reflects Iran’s hostility toward Israel.

Last edited:

absoloutely not and this is utterly stupid. ahmadinejad is gone crazy. this is waging a war for no gain.

Actually, according to most other reports I've read, he's not planning to throw stones at Israeli soldiers. That is not what the newspaper said. He's planning to go to Lebanon's border and throw stones over the border as "a symbolic gesture that reflects Iran's hostility towards Israel".

Ahmadinejad views south Lebanon as Iran’s border with Israel, report | Ya Libnan | World News Live from Lebanon

For some strange reason, your post has been ignored, I wonder why ....

Throwing a stone toward Israel has become a customary and symbolic act. When I was there in May/June, I didin't throw a stone but did a middle finger sign.

As long as nobody gets hurt, people need to get their anger out somehow.

For some strange reason, your post has been ignored, I wonder why ....

Throwing a stone toward Israel has become a customary and symbolic act. When I was there in May/June, I didin't throw a stone but did a middle finger sign.

As long as nobody gets hurt, people need to get their anger out somehow.

I suppose it could fall under freedom of speech as long as the stones aren't aimed at an actual person, but it's still mighty retarded of him to engage in such actions. He's a head of state after all. Some decorum is the least he could muster, no?

I suppose it could fall under freedom of speech as long as the stones aren't aimed at an actual person, but it's still mighty retarded of him to engage in such actions. He's a head of state after all. Some decorum is the least he could muster, no?

he sure is an illegitimate head of state.

Ahmadinejad views south Lebanon as Iran’s border with Israel, report | Ya Libnan | World News Live from Lebanon

I lol'd at "a symbolic gesture that reflects Iran's hostility towards Israel".

Also, you people need to start taking newspapers like al-Quds al-Arabi with much less seriousness.

Oh yes, I agree, as a head of state he's expected to behave with decorum but he's already well advanced in politically incorrect behaviour. One more, one less :roll:

I'm just amazed at how each time there is one single hint of hostility against Israel, even symbolic, the pro-Israelis here call it an act of war and call for a retaliation.

kill, kill, kill

Back
Top Bottom