• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Israel attacks Council of Europe move to restrict male circumcision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainman05

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Israel attacks Council of Europe move to restrict male circumcision | Reuters

(Reuters) - Israel on Friday accused a leading European human rights body of fostering hatred and racism in calling for the circumcision of boys on religious grounds to be monitored more closely.
"Any comparison of (male circumcision) to the reprehensible and barbaric practice of female genital mutilation is either appalling ignorance, at best, or defamation and anti-religious hatred, at worst," the Israeli Foreign Ministry said.

It said circumcision of male children was "an ancient religious tradition" in Judaism and Islam and among some Christian groups, and was medically beneficial.
The resolution cast "a moral stain on the Council of Europe, and fosters hate and racist trends in Europe."

Well first off, the council of Europe doesn't make laws. this is just a resolution. It's a recommendation basically.
I personally agree, I think the whole male circumcision thing is barbaric at best. A savage practice that we can dispense from now, in this day and age.

I'm not against having men circumcised if they want to when they're past 18 years old and legally adults but not before they can speak and understand what is happening to them.

The funny thing is israels' reaction the suggestion. I mean talk about overreaction. This law won't affect israel. And I know what you're thinking, it will affect jews in Europe. But jews in europe that are not israelis are not Israels' duty to represent. They have their own representatives.
And the religious argument doesn't matter here. It doesn't matter if your religion says this is important or not, religion does not play a hand in matters of governance. You obey the laws of the land first and you observe your religious practices in religious locations.
If you make a religion that demands that you kill someone every solstice, you will go to prison for murder. Now I'm not comparing circumcision with murder, I'm just pointing out that the law of the land is what counts and religious rituals that are against the law are religious rituals that must be abandoned. But this isn't the case yet with circumcision, as I said, this is just a resolution, not a law. The council can't make laws.

I had braces when I was a kid and they hurt a hell of a lot more than something I don't remember as a baby. Guess that barbaric practice out to be outlawed as well.

I had braces when I was a kid and they hurt a hell of a lot more than something I don't remember as a baby. Guess that barbaric practice out to be outlawed as well.

I'm circumsized like most Americans and it doesn't bother me one bit, but let's try to look at this from an objective point of view. Should we let a religion cut off pieces of a baby for no other reason but to appease their god?

What if I invented a religion, Alpacaism, where you have to tattoo an alpaca on newborns' backs, or cut off the excess skin hanging on their ears? Should that be allowed?

Point is, permanent mutilation should always be the choice of the person being mutilated. If somebody wants to do stuff like that when they turn 18, that's their business. Forcing it on someone who can't defend themselves is rather barbaric and has no place in a free society.

Last edited:

Well first off, the council of Europe doesn't make laws. this is just a resolution. It's a recommendation basically.
I personally agree, I think the whole male circumcision thing is barbaric at best. A savage practice that we can dispense from now, in this day and age.

I'm not against having men circumcised if they want to when they're past 18 years old and legally adults but not before they can speak and understand what is happening to them.

The funny thing is israels' reaction the suggestion. I mean talk about overreaction. This law won't affect israel. And I know what you're thinking, it will affect jews in Europe. But jews in europe that are not israelis are not Israels' duty to represent. They have their own representatives.
And the religious argument doesn't matter here. It doesn't matter if your religion says this is important or not, religion does not play a hand in matters of governance. You obey the laws of the land first and you observe your religious practices in religious locations.
If you make a religion that demands that you kill someone every solstice, you will go to prison for murder. Now I'm not comparing circumcision with murder, I'm just pointing out that the law of the land is what counts and religious rituals that are against the law are religious rituals that must be abandoned. But this isn't the case yet with circumcision, as I said, this is just a resolution, not a law. The council can't make laws.

There was quite a discussion in a number of European countries about that issue and a large if not an overwhelming majority think as you do. And yes, the discussion did indeed feed on and incite racial hate against Jews and Muslims.
To me it seemed odd to worry about snipping a piece of skin of of a body that only 30 weeks earlier any uneducated girl could have had vacuumed away at will.

I'm circumsized like most Americans and it doesn't bother me one bit, but let's try to look at this from an objective point of view. Should we let a religion cut off pieces of a baby for no other reason but to appease their god?

What if I invented a religion, Alpacaism, where you have to tattoo an alpaca on newborns' backs, or cut off the excess skin hanging on their ears? Should that be allowed?

Point is, permanent mutilation should always be the choice of the person being mutilated. If somebody wants to do stuff like that when they turn 18, that's their business. Forcing it on someone who can't defend themselves is rather barbaric and has no place in a free society.

I looked at a lot of the literature and studies on this matter. There does not seem to be much of a difference medically, though the net effect is the expectancy of a slightly healthier and longer life. Almost every cost benefit analysis shows a positive return.

I bet you were humiliatingly ugly to. Damaged for life! Of course you look better now for the effort and pain. :)

I looked at a lot of the literature and studies on this matter. There does not seem to be much of a difference medically, though the net effect is the expectancy of a slightly healthier and longer life. Almost every cost benefit analysis shows a positive return.

Correlation does not imply causation. Missing a part of your dick does not in and of itself make you live longer.

l may agree

but l dont think they will be brave enough to want to get circumcision when they are over 18:lol:

jellies

come on admit it looks more aesthetical :lol:

l may agree

but l dont think they will be brave enough to want to get circumcision when they are over 18:lol:

jellies

come on admit it looks more aesthetical :lol:

It does, and the euro ladies love it. I'm like a sexy unicorn to them. ;)

If they dont like, then move out of Europe.. dont let the door hit you on the way out!

Female circumsition is out of the question and I think it is barbaric. But male circumsition is not a Jewish or Muslim phenomena alone. I hear the practice is widely used in other Christian religions. In fact the only religion that does not tolerates it is Orthodox Christianity I heard.

It isn't hurting you.
Mind your own business.

except that braces have a purpose

Correlation does not imply causation. Missing a part of your dick does not in and of itself make you live longer.

That is certainly true and was duly taken into consideration in a number of the studies.

Circumcision is also a health plus though if I'm not mistaken. Nobody remembers being circumcised as a baby so what is the problem?

Fringe not done in medical facility.

Perhaps. But tell me, what medical benefits do circumcision produce that cannot be facilitated through modern medicine?

Perhaps. But tell me, what medical benefits do circumcision produce that cannot be facilitated through modern medicine?

What are the benefits of circumcision?

There is some evidence that circumcision has health benefits, including:

A decreased risk of urinary tract infections.
A reduced risk of sexually transmitted diseases in men.
Protection against penile cancer and a reduced risk of cervical cancer in female sex partners.
Prevention of balanitis (inflammation of the glans) and balanoposthitis (inflammation of the glans and foreskin).
Prevention of phimosis (the inability to retract the foreskin) and paraphimosis (the inability to return the foreskin to its original location).
Circumcision also makes it easier to keep the end of the penis clean.
Circumcision: Get the Facts, Benefits, Risks & More

Circumcision is also a health plus though if I'm not mistaken. Nobody remembers being circumcised as a baby so what is the problem?

no major medical organisation recommends it and has been on the decline in western countries. It is recommended in third world countries as a preventive measure for aids.

No, I know all that, I didn't ask what benefits it brings, I asked, what benefit it brings that cannot be provided by modern medicine?

One cut at early stage in life can negate the need for further medical care, why would you not want to do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom