• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Israel asks US to let spy attend father's funeral

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
JERUSALEM – Israelis are rallying behind convicted spy Jonathan Pollard like never before, urging the U.S. on Sunday to let the former Pentagon analyst leave prison to attend his father's funeral.

Israelis widely feel that after 25 years behind bars, Pollard has been excessively punished, and they seem puzzled over the U.S. refusal to set him free, despite recent calls for his release from some prominent former American officials.

Pollard was a civilian intelligence analyst for the U.S. Navy when he copied and gave to his Israeli handlers enough classified documents to fill a walk-in closet.

Israel asks US to let spy attend father's funeral - Yahoo! News

guy should be executed

i know what he did was wrong, but would it have been so bad to let him say goodbye to his Dad before he died. his Dad didn't do anything wrong.

Pollard wife, Esther, said she hoped her husband would be allowed to bury his father after not being able to see him in person.

"Right now we are just so brokenhearted, because Morris so much wanted to see Jonathan before he died, and Jonathan wanted so much to part from his father like a real loving son," she said, in tears. "He just wanted to say goodbye to his dad, and he never got a chance."

i know what he did was wrong, but would it have been so bad to let him say goodbye to his Dad before he died. his Dad didn't do anything wrong.

Pollard wife, Esther, said she hoped her husband would be allowed to bury his father after not being able to see him in person.

"Right now we are just so brokenhearted, because Morris so much wanted to see Jonathan before he died, and Jonathan wanted so much to part from his father like a real loving son," she said, in tears. "He just wanted to say goodbye to his dad, and he never got a chance."

the issue wasn't with his dad, it was with him.

Why should someone who sold state secrets get ANY type of preferential treatment?

Why should someone who sold state secrets get ANY type of preferential treatment?
i can understand both sides in this case. i wouldn't be doing it for Pollards wishes, it would be for his dad. he's an innocent victim of his Sons actions too.

I agree he should be locked up for a long time, but not letting him attend his father's funeral is unnecessarily cruel.

I agree he should be locked up for a long time, but not letting him attend his father's funeral is unnecessarily cruel.

why should a guy, who sold a closet full of state secrets, garner any special treatment? Who knows the danger he put people in, due to his betrayal of trust

**** the spy

The man is dead. It's too late to do anything for him at this point. :shrug:
my posts are in response to the link where it stated that he was not allowed to visit with his father before he died.

Why should his father get any preferential treatment that countless other fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters, children, do not get?

It is not preferential treatment it is avoiding 'cruel and unusual' punishment which, however much you dislike it, is wrong.

nothing about this denial "rises" to the level of cruel and unusual punishment

It is not preferential treatment it is avoiding 'cruel and unusual' punishment which, however much you dislike it, is wrong.

Cruel and unusual for whom? The criminal or is father? If it's the former, I absolutely disagree. If it's the latter, I'll say that anytime a loved one is put in jail, it's cruel and unusual "punishment" for the family members. Them's the breaks.

nothing about this denial "rises" to the level of cruel and unusual punishment

If other prisoners of similar status are being allowed this right then it is 'cruel and unusual' to deny it.

If Justice is not blind then it very quickly deteriorates and nothing makes it deteriorate faster than allowing politics to start making specific sentencing and penal decisions over individual prisoners. If you are really a liberal then you have to accept that and live with the consequences, blind justice is non-negotiable.

why should a guy, who sold a closet full of state secrets, garner any special treatment? Who knows the danger he put people in, due to his betrayal of trust

Would it have been 'special treatment' or, is it standard practice to allow prisoners to attend the funeral of their next of kin/parents?

Paul

If other prisoners of similar status are being allowed this right then it is 'cruel and unusual' to deny it.

If Justice is not blind then it very quickly deteriorates and nothing makes it deteriorate faster than allowing politics to start making specific sentencing and penal decisions over individual prisoners. If you are really a liberal then you have to accept that and live with the consequences, blind justice is non-negotiable.

do we generally let spies, who have close ties to foreign states, go to family funerals.

Seems the guy would be an extremely high flight risk, and a potential danger to national security

Would it have been 'special treatment' or, is it standard practice to allow prisoners to attend the funeral of their next of kin/parents?

Paul

prisoners of his status? This isn't simply a guy who snatched a car

Leniency should not be shown just because some scumbag has a relative,especially a dead relative.

i can understand both sides in this case. i wouldn't be doing it for Pollards wishes, it would be for his dad.

His dad is dead and his father is irrelevant to the fact his son was convicted for spying.

he's an innocent victim of his Sons actions too.

How is his dad a innocent victim? Did his father get thrown in prison because of what his son did?

I'm just trying to ascertain if there's a standard prisoner policy? Or as your suggesting it depends on the crime....

What about prisoners on death row?

Paul

I think he would be a flight risk, so I can understand denying him permission. Just last year, the imprisoned former governor of Illinois - George Ryan - was denied permission to visit with his terminal wife. She passed away about three months later.

What I will never understand is why the Lockerbie bomber was released in 2009 for “humanitarian reasons”. As far as I know, he is still alive today

Back
Top Bottom