• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Isn't Trump a RINO?

No that's my observation and opinion. Funny you don't have any evidence to support your two word reply.

I don't need evidence because j didn't make a claim about anything other than the present discussion (as in, my comment only touched on the discussion itself, not the underlying subject).

I get that it's your observation, it's also completely irrelevant to the validity of Trump's positions or candidacy. Saying "X is a bad man, and X supports Y, therefore Y is bad" is ad hominem.

IMO the only reason Cruz is any kind of competitor against Trump is because the RNC is making that happen. And if they are successful in using Cruz to stop Trump from winning the requisite number of delegates on the first ballot, I fully expect them to then throw Cruz under the bus and install somebody THEY know will play ball and not make waves for them. Trump has made mistakes yes, but he has learned from them. But he is smart and stubborn enough not to accept defeat easily and arrogant enough to want success.

He is not my first choice, but I have to give him props for what he has accomplished. And I would vote for him in a heartbeat before I would vote for Hillary or Bernie.

LOL. Are you serious? Cruz has built a conservative network of political operatives all on his own. That is the reason he has been grabbing delegates right under Trump's nose. Believe me there are plenty of Republicans who are nervous about what Cruz is doing and what he may have planned. He rose money faster than anyone else that was not named Bush. He stayed consistently on message and didn't actually piss off anybody except liberals. That's usually enough for Republicans. That's what usual candidates need to do.

Tell me, how exactly is it possible that the RNC is making it happen, when we all know Cruz's network itself is stacking delegates in local counties and districts??? That does not sound like a national full fledged anti-trump plan to me. The RNC's official position is that they are going to go through the process as it has been on the books for a hundred years! If they wanted to stop Trump, believe me there are far easier ways of which I am sure you can imagine. Rather than just letting the voters pick. How Nefarious of them!

In fact, the different funded Anti-Trump movements of which I consider myself apart, has been pretty laughable and basically negligent in their efforts to stop him or even hurt him. Their efforts are really disappointing to me and shows their lack of courage to deal with the Trump problem many of us in the party have. They are trying to fight fire with fire and it's FAILING, not succeeding. That's another reason I think Cruz is still left standing. His positions and policies are a clear as day stark contrast to Trump's whose positions are not so clear as day.

The choice is still up to the voters and only people who are either new to this process or relatively uneducated about the proportional delegate rules would dare think what you are thinking. Yet you have the audacity to think that one of the most conservative members of the Republican Party is Trump's main challenger because of some secret conspiracy that makes no sense?

When you think about it. This is no different than the early days of 2012. Santorum VS Romney. Albeit a bit louder and nosier. The contested convention is almost a sure thing. Get used to it.

The voters have the last say in the end. Trump the not conservative or Cruz the conservative. Take your pick or suffer the consequences of your naivete.

Last edited:
I don't need evidence because j didn't make a claim about anything other than the present discussion (as in, my comment only touched on the discussion itself, not the underlying subject).

I get that it's your observation, it's also completely irrelevant to the validity of Trump's positions or candidacy. Saying "X is a bad man, and X supports Y, therefore Y is bad" is ad hominem.

I never said he was bad, but it's funny you replaced RINO with the word bad. I don't usually see in such a simplistic worldview as that.

I never said he was bad, but it's funny you replaced RINO with the word bad. I don't usually see in such a simplistic worldview as that.

I just have you the basic form of an ad hominem, if you want to try to psychoanalye me for it, you're welcome to, but it doesn't change the fact that the part of your comment that j quoted was fallacious.

I just have you the basic form of an ad hominem, if you want to try to psychoanalye me for it, you're welcome to, but it doesn't change the fact that the part of your comment that j quoted was fallacious.

I was not attacking YOUR argument. You never had an argument! I was observing the behavior of Trump supporters and I see no one else disputing this claim. Would you care to try?

I was not attacking YOUR argument. You never had an argument! I was observing the behavior of Trump supporters and I see no one else disputing this claim. Would you care to try?

I'm not going to dispute it because it's fallacious. According to the title, this thread is about Trump. Not his followers.

All throughout the past four years conservatives were angry because in their opinion another RINO lost the election. I just don't understand this anti-establishment attitude and the conspiracy theories surrounding them. The old image of smoke-filled rooms and old rich white guys making deals about who will and how things get done are often colorfully described by these same conservatives who want Trump in office. You know the guy who essentially says, he will sit in smoke-filled rooms with other rich white guys making deals about who will and how things get done???

Despite the fact that Trump is the very part of the establishment that is supposed to make blue-collar worker's angry at the seems, it doesn't seem to hurt him thanks to his boisterous and vague positions marketed to his supporters like bible verses. Indeed, they pipe them out like hymns and psalms and whenever I question a Trump supporter asking for deep insight on how he will actually change things or get things done, they sing his praises anyway. Remind you of anyone else's supporters?

The very meaning of the loosely defined pejorative that is RINO or Republican In Name Only. Fits Donald Trump to a tee. in the nearly 70 years that he has been walking on this Earth Trump has been a Republican for a relatively short period of time. His latest return to the Republican Party coincidentally happened in 2012. So Trump has only been a Republican for the past four years...

If these naive voters are really seeking the change and conservative-minded and principled Republican that they were supposedly fighting for all these years. NOTE: They didn't like McCain or Romney and some don't even like Bush... There are two other people in the race who falls into that category. One especially cannot pin the RINO label on Ted Cruz, for instance. Even the Governor John Kasich has been a pretty level headed conservative governor most recently defunding planned parenthood in Ohio.

Donald Trump does not have that proven track record that conservatives have been complaining about and wanting ever since the Tea Party appeared on the national stage! Donald Trump's flip flops are clear as day and happen almost everyday in a weird twisting of the Republican platform into hyper-partisan rants and conspiracy theories. Letting Hillary laugh all the way to the bank in order to trump up support for her own beliefs about that vast right wing conspiracy out to get her. That more often than not some in the media liken Donald Trump to the same categories in the political garbage chute as Hitler and ISIS. All this, even without mentioning his party changes.

To me, it's just odd that these voters are yet again listening to a man who is promising big hope and change after supposedly complaining about the other guy who offered the same thing just eight years ago. When Trump just happened to be a Democrat and paved the way for Obama to be elected. If you compare Trump's and Obama's beliefs they may be far apart but the way their supporters act are one and the same. The result that Trump and Obama supporters expect or expected are one and the same. We shouldn't be listening for more vague and empty promises from a clear as day empty suit.

I would best call trump an extreme moderate, his views fit neither the left or right wing parties, but tend to be extreme. This is why he has been able to interchange between parties over time. If you look at his past statements, trumps views now ae not much different than they were 20 years ago, he is basically his own thing and completely seperated from parties, he is a far right wing liberal.

LOL. Are you serious? Cruz has built a conservative network of political operatives all on his own. That is the reason he has been grabbing delegates right under Trump's nose. Believe me there are plenty of Republicans who are nervous about what Cruz is doing and what he may have planned. He rose money faster than anyone else that was not named Bush. He stayed consistently on message and didn't actually piss off anybody except liberals. That's usually enough for Republicans. That's what usual candidates need to do.

Tell me, how exactly is it possible that the RNC is making it happen, when we all know Cruz's network itself is stacking delegates in local counties and districts??? That does not sound like a national full fledged anti-trump plan to me. The RNC's official position is that they are going to go through the process as it has been on the books for a hundred years! If they wanted to stop Trump, believe me there are far easier ways of which I am sure you can imagine. Rather than just letting the voters pick. How Nefarious of them!

In fact, the different funded Anti-Trump movements of which I consider myself apart, has been pretty laughable and basically negligent in their efforts to stop him or even hurt him. Their efforts are really disappointing to me and shows their lack of courage to deal with the Trump problem many of us in the party have. They are trying to fight fire with fire and it's FAILING, not succeeding. That's another reason I think Cruz is still left standing. His positions and policies are a clear as day stark contrast to Trump's whose positions are not so clear as day.

The choice is still up to the voters and only people who are either new to this process or relatively uneducated about the proportional delegate rules would dare think what you are thinking. Yet you have the audacity to think that one of the most conservative members of the Republican Party is Trump's main challenger because of some secret conspiracy that makes no sense?

When you think about it. This is no different than the early days of 2012. Santorum VS Romney. Albeit a bit louder and nosier. The contested convention is almost a sure thing. Get used to it.

The voters have the last say in the end. Trump the not conservative or Cruz the conservative. Take your pick or suffer the consequences of your naivete.

I don't think I'm the one being naïve.

Is Trump a RINO? I don't know what he is because as soon as someone tries to corner him into discussing policy he tiptoes around it. It as if he is incapable of discussing policy past one liners. And if he does give an answer past a one liner, it often gets shredded in analysis for being incompetent and uninformed. This often results in him walking back his comments just hours after he makes them. This leaves one wondering what the heck his real stance is on issues.

You don't hear Trump talking much about the Constitution. Instead, he conjures up drama wherever he can turning this primary into a circus purposely to avoid discussion and debate on issues. It is why he refuses to debate Cruz.

And this man is going to bring about reform? He can't even run a competent campaign. When he loses a primary, the drama becomes he was cheated, the system is rigged forgetting the rights of a state to make the rules for their own primary/caucus.

Trump would not have but a fraction of support among self identified conservatives if it were not for Fox News and other so called "conservative" voices in the media. If one thing this primary has revealed is the hypocrisy of several who for years have touted constitutional conservatism only to hop on the Trump Train and use their microphones to make excuses for the man instead of holding him accountable for what comes out of his mouth and giving credence to his childish Trumpertantrums.

The Prime Time Primary: Trump vs. His Rivals on Fox News, CNN and MSNBC

I disagree. Not only do I have more confidence in people who have had ups and downs and have learned from their mistakes in addition to some successes, but I think had the RNC gotten behind Trump or whoever the leader was and inspired confidence instead of making it so toxic an environment, Trump has as good a chance, if not better, of anybody in the entire field. He certainly is more likable and compelling than Cruz, and he would figure out how to best campaign against Hillary.
Believe what you want, Trump for most of us is the prime example of toxic. I could not care if he is likeable or not, again most believe him to be the south end of a north bound mule, so his personality is not a plus for him. Trump would get his arse handed to him buy Hillary or even Sanders, but we will never know, watch and see.

Believe what you want, Trump for most of us is the prime example of toxic. I could not care if he is likeable or not, again most believe him to be the south end of a north bound mule, so his personality is not a plus for him. Trump would get his arse handed to him buy Hillary or even Sanders, but we will never know, watch and see.

I don't believe what I want. I believe what I do. I am not endorsing Trump's character or methods or defending him against what people find objectionable about him. The man has much to criticize about him. The man also has a compelling personality to most people as evidenced by campaign rallies that nobody else has been able to attract. And he has some mad skills no matter how much you might disapprove of him or object to him or hold him in contempt.

I'm just being realistic.

If I had the power to do it, I would put Cruz in the White House with a good conservative governor as his VP. But Cruz comes across as loveless and angry to many and that is off putting to many and gives him zero advantage against Hillary's abrasive demeanor. And the rumors are that he is considering Rubio as his running mate. Does anybody think putting two first term senators in the White House is a good idea? I can't see Cruz winning a single state that Romney didn't win in 2012 and I can see him losing some states that Romney won.

I know I make people supporting Kasich or Cruz mad as hell when I present Trump as a viable candidate. I've taken more abuse from fellow conservatives in this election than I ever took from the left. :) But at some point--very soon--the Republicans/conservatives/independents better start coming together and quit ripping each other apart, or we all better get used to saying President Clinton again.

All throughout the past four years conservatives were angry because in their opinion another RINO lost the election. I just don't understand this anti-establishment attitude and the conspiracy theories surrounding them. The old image of smoke-filled rooms and old rich white guys making deals about who will and how things get done are often colorfully described by these same conservatives who want Trump in office. You know the guy who essentially says, he will sit in smoke-filled rooms with other rich white guys making deals about who will and how things get done???

Despite the fact that Trump is the very part of the establishment that is supposed to make blue-collar worker's angry at the seems, it doesn't seem to hurt him thanks to his boisterous and vague positions marketed to his supporters like bible verses. Indeed, they pipe them out like hymns and psalms and whenever I question a Trump supporter asking for deep insight on how he will actually change things or get things done, they sing his praises anyway. Remind you of anyone else's supporters?

The very meaning of the loosely defined pejorative that is RINO or Republican In Name Only. Fits Donald Trump to a tee. in the nearly 70 years that he has been walking on this Earth Trump has been a Republican for a relatively short period of time. His latest return to the Republican Party coincidentally happened in 2012. So Trump has only been a Republican for the past four years...

If these naive voters are really seeking the change and conservative-minded and principled Republican that they were supposedly fighting for all these years. NOTE: They didn't like McCain or Romney and some don't even like Bush... There are two other people in the race who falls into that category. One especially cannot pin the RINO label on Ted Cruz, for instance. Even the Governor John Kasich has been a pretty level headed conservative governor most recently defunding planned parenthood in Ohio.

Donald Trump does not have that proven track record that conservatives have been complaining about and wanting ever since the Tea Party appeared on the national stage! Donald Trump's flip flops are clear as day and happen almost everyday in a weird twisting of the Republican platform into hyper-partisan rants and conspiracy theories. Letting Hillary laugh all the way to the bank in order to trump up support for her own beliefs about that vast right wing conspiracy out to get her. That more often than not some in the media liken Donald Trump to the same categories in the political garbage chute as Hitler and ISIS. All this, even without mentioning his party changes.

To me, it's just odd that these voters are yet again listening to a man who is promising big hope and change after supposedly complaining about the other guy who offered the same thing just eight years ago. When Trump just happened to be a Democrat and paved the way for Obama to be elected. If you compare Trump's and Obama's beliefs they may be far apart but the way their supporters act are one and the same. The result that Trump and Obama supporters expect or expected are one and the same. We shouldn't be listening for more vague and empty promises from a clear as day empty suit.

Yep...and a lifelong Democrat. He is no Conservative which means he fits in with the GOP establishment perfectly. I guess they just don't like his candor.

I don't believe what I want. I believe what I do. I am not endorsing Trump's character or methods or defending him against what people find objectionable about him. The man has much to criticize about him. The man also has a compelling personality to most people as evidenced by campaign rallies that nobody else has been able to attract. And he has some mad skills no matter how much you might disapprove of him or object to him or hold him in contempt.

I'm just being realistic.

If I had the power to do it, I would put Cruz in the White House with a good conservative governor as his VP. But Cruz comes across as loveless and angry to many and that is off putting to many and gives him zero advantage against Hillary's abrasive demeanor. And the rumors are that he is considering Rubio as his running mate. Does anybody think putting two first term senators in the White House is a good idea? I can't see Cruz winning a single state that Romney didn't win in 2012 and I can see him losing some states that Romney won.

I know I make people supporting Kasich or Cruz mad as hell when I present Trump as a viable candidate. I've taken more abuse from fellow conservatives in this election than I ever took from the left. :) But at some point--very soon--the Republicans/conservatives/independents better start coming together and quit ripping each other apart, or we all better get used to saying President Clinton again.

Actually you got it right at the end there, thing is the Repubs and Indes are not going to come together and back one candidate, Trump turns off the majority of both those groups and Cruz is unacceptable and hated among many Trump supporters, either way there is a major split between conservatives and as such the election is as good as already won for the Dem candidate, in all likelihood Clinton. It will be another first, First woman President and first First Man, unfortunately many of use would have preferred someone better to fill that roll, but those are the cards dealt and as the saying goes the rest is history, or soon will be. May God help us all, we are going to darn well need it is going to be a bumpy ride as we go down hill even faster than we already are.

Actually you got it right at the end there, thing is the Repubs and Indes are not going to come together and back one candidate, Trump turns off the majority of both those groups and Cruz is unacceptable and hated among many Trump supporters, either way there is a major split between conservatives and as such the election is as good as already won for the Dem candidate, in all likelihood Clinton. It will be another first, First woman President and first First Man, unfortunately many of use would have preferred someone better to fill that roll, but those are the cards dealt and as the saying goes the rest is history, or soon will be. May God help us all, we are going to darn well need it is going to be a bumpy ride as we go down hill even faster than we already are.

I don't admit defeat quite so easily. I believe we all have in us to stop and listen and hear each other instead of knee jerk angry responses to people who aren't seeing it as we think they should. Even those of us on message boards have considerable collective power--it is a certainty that party operatives monitor these boards along with other social media to discern the temperament of the people. Certainly the Cruz people are doing what they can to fuel contempt and anger at Trump. And certainly Trump people are doing what they can to present Cruz as an unviable candidate.

Cruz lost his halo with me when he acquiesced to the dark side, embraced untruths or half truths to vanquish his foe, and allowed his people to do some underhanded things. Trump has been more transparent in the things we don't like or appreciate about him but he certainly has engaged in the mud slinging with the best of them.

But the fact is that we have never elected a perfect person or a saint to the Presidency and likely never ever will. The best we can do is put competent people there the best that we can and hope that the best that is in them is the President that shows up.

Meanwhile yes, all of us who don't support the Democrats should support the candidate(s) of our choice, promote their virtues, and why they are far superior to Bernie or Hillary. But we don't destroy their opponents in the process and we all agree that we will get behind the eventual nominee no matter who he is wholeheartedly and without reservation.

I don't admit defeat quite so easily. I believe we all have in us to stop and listen and hear each other instead of knee jerk angry responses to people who aren't seeing it as we think they should. Even those of us on message boards have considerable collective power--it is a certainty that party operatives monitor these boards along with other social media to discern the temperament of the people. Certainly the Cruz people are doing what they can to fuel contempt and anger at Trump. And certainly Trump people are doing what they can to present Cruz as an unviable candidate.

Cruz lost his halo with me when he acquiesced to the dark side, embraced untruths or half truths to vanquish his foe, and allowed his people to do some underhanded things. Trump has been more transparent in the things we don't like or appreciate about him but he certainly has engaged in the mud slinging with the best of them.

But the fact is that we have never elected a perfect person or a saint to the Presidency and likely never ever will. The best we can do is put competent people there the best that we can and hope that the best that is in them is the President that shows up.

Meanwhile yes, all of us who don't support the Democrats should support the candidate(s) of our choice, promote their virtues, and why they are far superior to Bernie or Hillary. But we don't destroy their opponents in the process and we all agree that we will get behind the eventual nominee no matter who he is wholeheartedly and without reservation.

Hang on to those thoughts while you still can, good luck, and I mean that.

No, the establishment wants to have someone like Mitt Romney or Paul Ryan or JEB! or John Kasich parachute into the convention without having ever won anything worthwhile and grab the nomination. The problem is that they created RULE 40B to stop Ron Paul (a man who didn't need stopping) and now it's coming back to bite them in the ass. Cruz is a conservative but he's also anti-establishment and the power brokers don't want him to win.

Is Trump a RINO? I don't know what he is because as soon as someone tries to corner him into discussing policy he tiptoes around it. It as if he is incapable of discussing policy past one liners. And if he does give an answer past a one liner, it often gets shredded in analysis for being incompetent and uninformed. This often results in him walking back his comments just hours after he makes them. This leaves one wondering what the heck his real stance is on issues.

You don't hear Trump talking much about the Constitution. Instead, he conjures up drama wherever he can turning this primary into a circus purposely to avoid discussion and debate on issues. It is why he refuses to debate Cruz.

And this man is going to bring about reform? He can't even run a competent campaign. When he loses a primary, the drama becomes he was cheated, the system is rigged forgetting the rights of a state to make the rules for their own primary/caucus.

Trump would not have but a fraction of support among self identified conservatives if it were not for Fox News and other so called "conservative" voices in the media. If one thing this primary has revealed is the hypocrisy of several who for years have touted constitutional conservatism only to hop on the Trump Train and use their microphones to make excuses for the man instead of holding him accountable for what comes out of his mouth and giving credence to his childish Trumpertantrums.

The Prime Time Primary: Trump vs. His Rivals on Fox News, CNN and MSNBC

Trump doesn't talk about the Constitution because anyone paying attention knows that the GOP doesn't actually give a **** about it. You have GOP candidates saying they're going to ignore the ruling of the Supreme Court when it comes to Gay Marriage. You have people in the Republican party who supported an American being held in Guantanamo Bay without trial.

Trump does pretty well in Open primaries. I don't know where you come from about this Independent people not supporting Trump but you're kidding yourself.

Trump does pretty well in Open primaries. I don't know where you come from about this Independent people not supporting Trump but you're kidding yourself.
Maybe it is because in most National Polls trump does badly against Hillary and Sanders and maybe in part because being an Independent and knowing lots of other real Independents personally and knowing not one of them supports Trump I would say Trump does not have the support some claim he does. Look at it this way Trump cannot even get 50% of republicans to support him in the primaries, the only reason he leads is because of the way the system works and the number of candidates that were in the race. Along with that is Trump is so "different" from his counter parts in the GOP, makes me laugh every time I say that about the Democrat in Republican clothing, then why on earth would those Republicans that do not support him now support him in the National Elections? Not to mention Independent voters, and no we are not talking about Repubs and Dems that all of a sudden refer to themselves as Indes but yet have voted straight ticket all their lives, we are talking about those that take a hard long look at the candidates, and close scrutiny of Trump is never a good thing for him when it is applied. If you believe that Trump would be a Conservative President I have some bottom land to sell you, all you have to do is drain the swamp and get rid of the alligators, snakes and bugs and it will be ready for you to move into.

If it makes you feel any better I don't care about RINO/DINO. I only care about the issues and Trump is bringing up the issues I care about.

Reforming healthcare? nope...
Guns? meh...
Abortion? A non-issue...
Gay getting married? Good for them...
Tax cuts for the 1%? Not a high priority.

I care about our foreign policy, illegal immigration, and creating jobs in this country, and Trump is knocking those right out of the park. The establishment has spent so many years focusing on **** I don't care, and after the Romney debacle I considered dropping my Republican party registration. Although I'm not a conservative, in fact I kinda look down on them given their penchant for focusing on irrelevant garbage.

It's interesting that you say you care about creating jobs, and yet apparently are content to let Obamacare--the biggest job killer there is--survive. I don't agree that Mr. Trump is knocking the issues you mention out of the park. How could he, when he cannot even articulate coherent positions on them?

Every president from Ike to now could have been considered a RINO or a DINO.

Actually every president since Jackson would fit the description. I haven't see a republican or democrat lift a finger to bring government growth under control since Andrew Jackson.

Then it makes no sense to support someone who supports those issues and politician you allege to oppose. I know you are using the "but that was yesterday he said that" excuse or some variation of that excuse.

Sure it does. Unless someone is delusional there are always going to be platform disagreements with any candidate pick. The key is to remember what he's running for - President. The president just can't do much about a lot of those issues you mentioned. Not his/her job. That is unless they go extra-constitutional like Obama.

For what a POTUS actually does, Trump fits for me.

And btw, you're talking to the wrong Trump supporter on that last little dig.

Sure it does. Unless someone is delusional there are always going to be platform disagreements with any candidate pick. The key is to remember what he's running for - President. The president just can't do much about a lot of those issues you mentioned. Not his/her job. That is unless they go extra-constitutional like Obama.

For what a POTUS actually does, Trump fits for me.

And btw, you're talking to the wrong Trump supporter on that last little dig.

You do know it is a POTUS's job to sign bills he is for into law and to veto bills he is against? What do you think is going to happen when there is a bill containing the things that you allegedly oppose(I say allegedly oppose because you could be a democrat trying to rat **** the republican primary but propping up Trump)? All those people that you claimed to oppose that Trump has praised, supported and donated money too.What are you going to do when he appoints those people to various positions of government?

Has it occurred to you that is a bad thing? Because a open primary means that a party can rat **** the other party's primary.Republicans for example could vote for Sanders because they think he won't stand a chance in the general and democrats could vote for Trump because they think Clinton will curb stomp him in the general. Or republicans can rat **** the democrat primary by voting for the most conservative democrat possible so that in case they lose the general a die hard left wing loon doesn't get elected and democrats could vote for the most liberal Republican so that if they lose the general then they still get a liberal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_primaries_in_the_United_States#Manipulation_and_dilution

Back
Top Bottom