• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Islamic Misogyny Shows It's Face Again

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Beat women lightly. Apparently that's some sort of Islamic compromise between beating the crap out of them and treating them as equals.

Pakistani men can beat wives 'lightly' to punish them, council says - CNN.com

The leader of a Pakistani Islamic council has proposed a bill that allows husbands to "lightly beat" their wives as a form of discipline.

In the 75-page proposal, Mohammad Khan Sheerani suggests a light beating is acceptable should the need arise to punish a woman. The proposal bans forceful beating, saying only a small stick is necessary to instill fear.

The Council of Islamic Ideology is a powerful constitutional body that advises the Pakistani legislature whether laws are in line with the teachings of Islam.

Note the council's name: Islamic Ideology. Great religion there. We should import more of it over here. /s

Beat women lightly. Apparently that's some sort of Islamic compromise between beating the crap out of them and treating them as equals.

Note the council's name: Islamic Ideology. Great religion there. We should import more of it over here. /s
"The proposal also calls for a beating if a woman does not wear a hijab, if she interacts with strangers, speaks too loudly or gives others cash without her husband's permission, according to the newspaper."

So nice that they codified this for everyone, rather than leave open random beatings ...

I fail to see what's so objectionable here. This used to be the law in the west.

P.S. Men and women aren't the same. Equality is a myth.

You should seriously consider switching prophets.

I'm curious though: where exactly is "over here"?

I'm curious though: where exactly is "over here"?

Any one of these 50-uh 7 states.
Map_of_USA_showing_state_names.png

Awww this is cute. The topic quickly devolved into how superior and refined Christianity is compared to Islam. I hate to burst your bubble guys, but the three Abrahamic religions - Judaism, Christianity, and Islam - share so much in common. The only difference here is that of the three religions, Christianity is the least practiced, though that's quickly changing with the conservative/evangelical counterrevolution in the U.S and, to a lesser degree, in Europe. I urge concerned Americans who seem too aghast by what Pakistanis supposedly do to check the Haredi community in Brooklyn, or the Quiverfull movement in various parts of the U.S or any other evangelical community in the country for that matter.

Whoever instilled this obsession with Islam and Muslims in the minds of Americans did the country the greatest disservice since its inception. The country has more than its share of social and cultural woes, yet it's too preoccupied to deal with them - how could it when it's fixated on Muslims.

Any one of these 50-uh 7 states.
Map_of_USA_showing_state_names.png

I can't possibly comprehend why a Muslim would want to immigrate to a country that harbors such a virulent animus towards his demographic. At this rate I'll start to feel not sympathy, but contempt towards American Muslims.

It's little to do with religion.

110 years ago, it was legal in Canada for men to beat their wives...just don't seriously injure her. That was nothing to do with religion.

It's called evolution.

Pakistan is evolving slower then the West...probably due to poverty, colonialism, massive governmental corruption and a few other reasons.

Religion reflects a society, it does not form a society. It is the excuse, not the cause.

Personally, I think all major religions are a complete and total waste of time.

I would like to add this, though:

In my lifetime it was acceptable for Italian men to show their appreciation for a women's figure by pinching their, well, buttocks. Apparently this show of appreciation didn't go over so well with visiting American women, causing them to be targeted even more so.

Granted the pinching (supposedly) died-out awhile ago, but then again as a child I remember my nonna explaining to my mother and her sisters the proper etiquette for a married family man to conduct in keeping a mistress back in her day! (my mother's born-in-America generation of females were not overly impressed)

So there's a lot of cultural variance in the world concerning the treatment of women.

I knew a Bazillian women when I was younger that claimed wife beating was allowed in her culture (legally!) in cases of "honor"; this was in the early 80's. I do not recall if this referred to 'beating to death'. Sure enough, a few years later I read in the papers where Brazil was trying to change the laws in this regard.

Where does anything Jesus or the Church said condemn corporal punishment?
You're skewing your argument.

The Catholic Church does not condone wife beating!

If you doubt, I suggest consulting your Parish Priest or the Catechism.

You're skewing your argument.

The Catholic Church does not condone wife beating!

If you doubt, I suggest consulting your Parish Priest or the Catechism.

I'm not skewing anything. What I originally asserted is that the Church does not condemn such.

If you have proof to the contrary, post it.

I'm not skewing anything. What I originally asserted is that the Church does not condemn such.

If you have proof to the contrary, post it.
"The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops said in 2002, "As pastors of the Catholic Church in the United States, we state as clearly and strongly as we can that violence against women, inside or outside the home, is never justified."[2]"

Wikipedia; Christianity and Domestic Violence

Would you please be good enough to post your evidence to the contrary, as well?

I can't possibly comprehend why a Muslim would want to immigrate to a country that harbors such a virulent animus towards his demographic. At this rate I'll start to feel not sympathy, but contempt towards American Muslims.

Probably for the same reason you are proud to be American.

Christianity is progressive only in appearances; what differentiates it from Islam and Judaism is that its clergy gets to bend the religion to their whimsy and sociopolitical convenience. Canonical Christianity advocates even stricter views on women and gender roles. It never ceases to amuse me how Christians at one moment laments the secularism of their societies, then at another extols their superiority over other religions based on the secular values of their societies.

Infiltrate..

It's little to do with religion.

110 years ago, it was legal in Canada for men to beat their wives...just don't seriously injure her. That was nothing to do with religion.

It's called evolution.

Pakistan is evolving slower then the West...probably due to poverty, colonialism, massive governmental corruption and a few other reasons.

Religion reflects a society, it does not form a society. It is the excuse, not the cause.

Personally, I think all major religions are a complete and total waste of time.
I was not aware of this, and I'm not going to research it.

But your 'evolution' point is a good one, considering during that time in the U.S. women could not vote, children were a legal labor source, and many alive then had been formerly legally kept slaves!

Awww this is cute. The topic quickly devolved into how superior and refined Christianity is compared to Islam. I hate to burst your bubble guys, but the three Abrahamic religions - Judaism, Christianity, and Islam - share so much in common. The only difference here is that of the three religions, Christianity is the least practiced, though that's quickly changing with the conservative/evangelical counterrevolution in the U.S and, to a lesser degree, in Europe. I urge concerned Americans who seem too aghast by what Pakistanis supposedly do to check the Haredi community in Brooklyn, or the Quiverfull movement in various parts of the U.S or any other evangelical community in the country for that matter.

Whoever instilled this obsession with Islam and Muslims in the minds of Americans did the country the greatest disservice since its inception. The country has more than its share of social and cultural woes, yet it's too preoccupied to deal with them - how could it when it's fixated on Muslims.
Your point about the three major Abraham religions is a good one.

I would also argue that Islam has had less time to evolve, and therefore is behind it's Judaic & Christian siblings. And as pointed-out in posts above, it's developing in societies less evolved in terms of women's rights as well.

Its rather comical watching liberals rush in to defend Muslims. They cant help themselves. Its moral imperitive in response not to Muslims but to conservative opposition to Muslim extremism. Meamnwhile...in a CNN poll of MAINSTREAM Muslims...
London (CNN)
More than half of British Muslims (52%) think homosexuality should not be legal, and nearly half (47%) think it is not appropriate for gay people to teach in schools.

The findings come from face-to-face interviews with 1,081 British Muslims by the polling agency ICM for a television program, "What British Muslims Really Think." The program is scheduled to air Wednesday on Britain's Channel 4.

The survey also found British Muslims more likely than the general population to sympathize with terrorism "as a form of political protest," although support was very low -- 4% of Muslims said they sympathized, compared with 1% of the general public.
The Muslims interviewed were also more likely to support the ISIS objective of creating an Islamic state, regardless of the methods involved, with 7% expressing support, compared with 2% of the general public.

Muslims were also much more likely to say Jewish people had too much power in Britain (35% agreed, compared with 9% of the general population
A significant percentage believe it was acceptable for Muslim men to have more than one wife (31% of Muslims agreed versus 9% of the public); and that a woman should always obey her husband (39% of Muslims agreed, compared with 5% of the public).

Still.......

Must...defend...Islam....

Back
Top Bottom