• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Islamic men can ‘lightly beat’ wives [W:9]

Kal'Stang

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This thread isn't exactly about I/P issues but I wouldn't doubt that Israel gets dragged into the conversation somewhere along the lines. To that end I'm putting it here as a safe guard against violating I/P subjects in other parts of the forum.

Council of Islamic Ideology chairman Maulana Muhammad Khan Sherani says men should be allowed to ‘lightly beat’ their wives. Picture: AFP/Farooq Naeem

MUSLIM men should be allowed to “lightly beat” their wives if they refuse to have sex, fail to wear a hijab or don’t bathe, according to an Islamic constitutional body.

(note: the bolding was not mine, that's in the article itself)

I know that there are many peaceful Muslims in this world that wouldn't hurt a fly. But this is the kind of thing that gives Islam a bad name and really should be rejected by all regardless no matter what.

Edit: Forgot the link, sorry: Islamic men can ‘lightly beat’ wives

Re: Islamic men can ‘lightly beat’ wives

This thread isn't exactly about I/P issues but I wouldn't doubt that Israel gets dragged into the conversation somewhere along the lines. To that end I'm putting it here as a safe guard against violating I/P subjects in other parts of the forum.

[/B]

I know that there are many peaceful Muslims in this world that wouldn't hurt a fly. But this is the kind of thing that gives Islam a bad name and really should be rejected by all regardless no matter what.

Nope... Nope they shouldnt. A law should not protect domestic violence.
And thank god this recommendation got reject by the Pakistani government.

"Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah rejected the proposals, saying: "Islam does not allow any violence, whether against women or children."
Lawyer and human rights activist Asma Jahangir told Geo TV that the proposals amounted to "the humiliation of women".
The independent Human Rights Commission of Pakistan termed the proposals "ridiculous", and recommended the abolition of the CII."
Who are the Pakistani group proposing to 'lightly beat' women? - BBC News

[/B]

This seems reasonable.

A husband's authority used to be recognized in western law, and we were better off in those days.

This seems reasonable.

A husband's authority used to be recognized in western law, and we were better off in those days.

You are one deeply disturbed individual.

I have to be misreading your post.
This seems reasonable.

You cannot seriously condone hitting women...

I have to be misreading your post.

You cannot seriously condone hitting women...

Are you saying that it is never justifiable to strike a female?

Moderator's Warning:
"Justified" doesn't make it any less flaming. This isn't the basement. If you want to make these kind of comments about other posters, go there. Otherwise further action will be taken

Re: Islamic men can ‘lightly beat’ wives [W:9]

[/B]

There is a religion politics forum where you can start it.....

This seems reasonable.

Reasonable?

It would be deemed "reasonable" in Boston in the Puritan era, but they hanged "witches" too.

Just a note of advice, this is the 21st century. You need to catch up

This seems reasonable.

Reasonable to knuckle draggers, yes.

It is, and always has been illegal to be the first to strike anyone. It's called assault.

Somehow in some weirdness you are segregating women from the universal law of the land, so yes, it is wrong to strike a woman.

In any other situation, outside of armed conflict or there has been agreement, the response to a woman hitting first is also covered in law....and always has been.

You can't use this religion run amok example to move backward 800 years

What circumstances would provoke you "personally" to strike a female?

It is, and always has been illegal to be the first to strike anyone. It's called assault.

Your counter factual assertions aren't really of much value to anything. There are plenty of situations where striking someone who hasn't struck you is legal. Parents can strike their children, teachers can (in some jurisdictions) strike their students, prison guards can (in some jurisdictions) strike their prisoners etc. And in some jurisdictions (including the west in ages past), a husband can strike his wife under certain conditions.

I don't care what they do in Goatistan, but it should not be allowed here. It's probably how they deal with "button pushing" over there. Here we just stomp out and go to a bar.

Besides, one persons "lightly" is another person's broken jaw. Women by design are weaker than men, pound for pound, and really shouldn't be bullied by lightly anything. If you don't like her, divorce her and trade her in for a pair of twenties. :lol:

I don't care what they do in Goatistan, but it should not be allowed here. It's probably how they deal with "button pushing" over there. Here we just stomp out and go to a bar.

Besides, one persons "lightly" is another person's broken jaw. Women by design are weaker than men, pound for pound, and really shouldn't be bullied by lightly anything. If you don't like her, divorce her and trade her in for a pair of twenties. :lol:

There are many many reasons why Muslims should not be allowed in the west. That they believing in the authority of a husband is not one of them.

That they believe in divorce, however, is a mark against them. Divorce should be banned.

Re: Islamic men can ‘lightly beat’ wives [W:9]

Moderator's Warning:
Moved to Religion and Politics. If it shifts off topic and into I/P issues it will be moved back.

A PAIR!!? Well damn, a two for one deal ain't bad.

A PAIR!!? Well damn, a two for one deal ain't bad.
Except that it doesn't work that way. You don't get a pair of twenties for, say, one forty. You get a pair of 80s.

Market forces and all that.:mrgreen:

Muslim clerics don't make stuff up. Everything they decree comes from the Qur'an and/or hadiths. This particular gem comes from Qur'an 4:34 (Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.)

In the original Arabic, nothing is mentioned about first, second, and third. It's simply presented as a list of punishments to be carried out. Also, some English translations include "(lightly)" before the "wa idrubbu hunna". There is no "lightly", there is just "wa idrubbu hunna (and beat them)".

Muslim clerics don't make stuff up. Everything they decree comes from the Qur'an and/or hadiths. This particular gem comes from Qur'an 4:34 (Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.)

In the original Arabic, nothing is mentioned about first, second, and third. It's simply presented as a list of punishments to be carried out. Also, some English translations include "(lightly)" before the "wa idrubbu hunna". There is no "lightly", there is just "wa idrubbu hunna (and beat them)".

we are so good at arabic ? do we always trust translators ?

Muslim clerics don't make stuff up. Everything they decree comes from the Qur'an and/or hadiths.

It seems to me that other religions contain even worse .... but unlike the Muslims, the other religions have lawyered-up, and then choose a quote from a modern preacher who might disagree with such. Or use the claim that "Not All" believe that.

I can point you to many.

Start with a Google search for items and laws listed "Sanhedrin 55b." "Sanhedrin 58b" "Soferim 15, rule 10" "Yebamoth 63a." and I could go on and on.

In all religious texts there can be found something to ridicule.

The new-found God of Abraham commanded him to kill his son Issac and thus revealed himself as something of a schizophrenic God who acts different to the very laws of creation which he himself instilled in every man’s heart.

It is not a wonder why Islam was born?

Calm

Last edited:

we are so good at arabic ? do we always trust translators ?

The Arabic is simple. Wa (and) Idrubbu (plural imperative of hit or stirke) hunna (them). If I got it wrong, show me how.

Back
Top Bottom