• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Islamic Center Backers Won't Rule Out Taking Funds from Saudi Arabia, Iran

texmaster

Hippie Hater
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
The developers behind the Islamic center planned for a site near Ground Zero won't rule out accepting financing from the Mideast -- including from Saudi Arabia and Iran -- as they begin searching for $100 million needed to build the project.

The religious organization and the development company behind the center declined to say how much of the $100 million needed to build the facility has already been raised.

"We are in the planning stages," said Oz Sultan, spokesman for the center now called Park51. "We have just started the process of fund raising planning."

What a shocker this guy won't rule out taking money from the terrorist state of Iran.

And he just started the process of fund raising right when he goes on tour of the middle east at our expense. Nice.

Islamic Center Backers Won't Rule Out Taking Funds from Saudi Arabia, Iran - ABC News

So Ron Paul was wrong to take money from White Supremacists?

And I think it's funny how Iranian money would be fueling American jobs.

Yep.

next question?

But does Tex?

If you take someone's money and then totally work against their vision, you win. There's a sucker born every minute. The Cordoba Initiative is pretty much antithetical to the version of Islam in Saudi Arabia. So if they manage to wring the Kingdom and its religious groups of out cash, that's hilarious.

The developers behind the Islamic center planned for a site near Ground Zero won't rule out accepting financing from the Mideast -- including from Saudi Arabia and Iran -- as they begin searching for $100 million needed to build the project.

The religious organization and the development company behind the center declined to say how much of the $100 million needed to build the facility has already been raised.

"We are in the planning stages," said Oz Sultan, spokesman for the center now called Park51. "We have just started the process of fund raising planning."

What a shocker this guy won't rule out taking money from the terrorist state of Iran.

And he just started the process of fund raising right when he goes on tour of the middle east at our expense. Nice.

Islamic Center Backers Won't Rule Out Taking Funds from Saudi Arabia, Iran - ABC News

That is sufficient evidence to close the project down. We CANNOT allow terrorist nations to be funding construction projects. Now I am completely against this mosque.

Would it be legal for the Ground Zero mosque developers to take money from Iran?

Would it be legal for the Ground Zero mosque developers to take money from Iran?

That is actual a good question. I know it is illegal to give money to an organization that is considered a terrorist organization, but I have no idea if the reverse is true.

That is actual a good question. I know it is illegal to give money to an organization that is considered a terrorist organization, but I have no idea if the reverse is true.

Seems to me, that since the money is dirty, the government would have legal justification to seize those funds. Surely it's illegal for a group to accept money from a foreign drug cartel and this would be no different. Just like it wouldn't fly for a second, if Iran attempted to purchase real estate in the United States.

Let's just assume that it is legal, one thing is for sure: alotta Democrat politicos would come off looking like total dickheads, for going to bat for this guy...:rofl Obama's state department, along with Hillary, would look like even bigger dickheads for paying this clown, to go to the ME on a fundraising tour.

That is sufficient evidence to close the project down. We CANNOT allow terrorist nations to be funding construction projects. Now I am completely against this mosque.

Funny though how the U.S. has armed SA and Iran though..Now we are worried that those weapons we sold them will be used against us.

EDIT

Just think it's funny how we sell them weapons but then are concerned about them funding mosques.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure "Iran" is not considered a "terrorist organization" so the questions and comments suggesting the government could act on such money as if it was is likely irrelevant. If it was coming from Hamas or the Republican Guard, both of which I believe ARE recognized as terrorist organizations by the U.S., then that'd be a different ball of wax. But to my understanding the U.S. considers neither of them terrorist organizations.

If a bunch of ignorant fools were constantly pissing and moaning about things that are essentially none of their damn business, tacitly accused me of being a terrorist despite my efforts to help the government fight terrorism, and so on, you can safely bet your ass I'D say the exact same thing.

It is?

I thought he actually had to, you know, take money from sources it's illegal to take them from before we could do something like that.

After reading the numerous threads that have cropped up regarding this Islamic mosque folks are so up-in-arms about, I realize that I need to pick a religion to join for a month or so to partake in all the shenanigans and goings on. I mean, far be it from me to compartmentalize myself to one particular mythology, but this is too rich! On one side, you have supposed peace-lovers that hail from a religion where women have few rights, they can't govern themselves, and their fundamentalists run planes into buildings. On the other, you have more supposed peace-lovers who hail from a religion that seeks to cure homosexuality, curtail women's right to choose, and their fundamentalists shoot up buildings and blow up abortion clinics. I really have no idea why these two religions can't get along, and why this building is such a big deal (sarcasm, maybe? Har har). Seems like at some point sanity would take over, but given the constant bombardment in the news about this silly mosque, I guess not.

In any case, just a little atheist humor here, folks. After all, if we're gonna have a "my religion is better than yours" pissing contest, my so-called 'religion' should be mentioned at least once in all these threads.

Last edited:
Silence, worshiper of the void! Go pray to the vacuum of space or something!

:lol:

Seriously, though, it seems like pretty much any disagreement between two major religions always devolves into a "we're" something "more than you guys are" situation.

Actually, it might be if Iran is deemed to be a sponsor of terrorism. If I understand the overall nature of the Military Commissions Act, if the White House considers the Iranian government as an entity that "has engaged in hostilities or has purposely and materially supported hostilities against the U.S.," the President could reverse the association between the Iman of this Islamic Community Center and the Iranian government or any individual sponsor who donates to this mosoque and use their donation as a legitimate argument for sponsoring terrorism if it is proven that the mosque is being used to promote terrorism and there would be nothing the Iman could do about it under this Act. He wouldn't be allowed to see the evidence against him; he wouldn't even be allowed a trail. In fact, any American citizen suspected of sponsoring terrorist are subject to this same scrutiny under this Act.

I'm pretty sure "Iran" is not considered a "terrorist organization" so the questions and comments suggesting the government could act on such money as if it was is likely irrelevant. If it was coming from Hamas or the Republican Guard, both of which I believe ARE recognized as terrorist organizations by the U.S., then that'd be a different ball of wax. But to my understanding the U.S. considers neither of them terrorist organizations.

Actually that is incorrect

There are special procedures related to the issuance of visas to foreign citizen from countries designated as State Sponsors of Terrorism, under provisions of the Enhanced Border Security and Visa Reform Act of 2002 (EBSVRA). Four countries, including Cuba, Syria, Sudan and Iran are impacted by these procedures.

All applicants from State Sponsors of Terrorism countries age 16 and over, irrespective of gender, appear for an interview with a consular officer. An exception to the requirement for an interview may be made at the discretion of the consular officer in cases of A and G visa applicants (except for A-3 and G-5 applicants, who must be interviewed).

Special visa processing procedures pursuant to Section 306

I think they would be considered a state supporter of terrorism. I grant, I do not know, that is why I phrased it as a question and gave aspdt credit for asking an interesting question.

If a bunch of ignorant fools were constantly pissing and moaning about things that are essentially none of their damn business, tacitly accused me of being a terrorist despite my efforts to help the government fight terrorism, and so on, you can safely bet your ass I'D say the exact same thing.

I'm just shocked you started off with a baseless personal attack Dan. /sarcasm

And I never called you a terrorist tacitly or any other way. Please stop lying about my statements.

Technically, if they are getting funds from Iran/Saudi Arabia... They're really just getting money from Americans with large SUVs.

OMG NO! That means they'll train terrorists in America and...and Sharia law...and some other stuff! Won't some one please save us from this evil mosque!?

I find nothing wrong with taking money from Saudi Arabia (behead homosexuals), Iran (execution of homosexuals) or even Syria (tortures homosexuals, women and Jews).

Money can also be raised from North Korea and Cuba, both beautiful countries with freedom for all

President Obama is a great President.

I love President Obama.

He has never lied.

Ever.

Last edited:
I find nothing wrong with taking money from Saudi Arabia (behead homosexuals), Iran (execution of homosexuals) or even Syria (tortures homosexuals, women and Jews).

Imam Feisel is a wonderful man.

Yassir Arafat is my homeboy (granted he did like small boys).

Nohting here to see.

Move along.

No way, you need to worry. Because if they take that money and build that mosque, that means you're going to be executed here in the US for being gay! Don't you see....Sharia law...it comes with mosques....totally. Especially when funded by countries which impose the strictest interpretation of Sharia Law. If that money is taken and the mosque is built than we'll have Sharia law here and you're a dead man! FEAR THE MOSQUE!!!! FEAR IT!

I'm just shocked you started off with a baseless personal attack Dan. /sarcasm

I'm just shocked that you started off by totally mischaracterizing my post Tex. /sarcasm

And I never called you a terrorist tacitly or any other way. Please stop lying about my statements.

I'm just shocked that you continued to totally mischaracterize my post Tex. /sarcasm

I wasn't accusing anyone on this forum of anything.

I was putting myself in the shoes of the fellow we're all supposed to be hating on.

Back
Top Bottom