• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

ISIS and the Militia

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
I just don't get liberals. We get attacked, they want to ban guns.

If ISIS is a threat, would it not make better sense to have more guns in the hands of our law abiding citizens?

How did more guns work out so far?

In the hands of law abiding citizens? Quite well.

Most mass shootings are in gun free zones.

https://www.lp.org/news/press-relea...rtarian-party-calls-for-end-to-gun-free-zones

The Pulse nightclub was a “gun-free” zone.

The Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, California was a “gun-free” zone.

The Bataclan nightclub in Paris was a “gun-free” zone.

The schools in Newtown, Connecticut and Columbine, Colorado were “gun-free” zones.

Fort Hood was a “gun-free” zone.

Most homicides are committed by people who acquired their gun illegally.
In 2004, the government conducted its periodic Survey of Inmates in State and Federal Correctional Facilities. It found that among inmates who had a gun when they committed their crime (16 percent of all prisoners), about 11 percent had bought the firearm at a retail store, a pawn shop, a flea market or a gun show. Another 37 percent had gotten it from a friend or family member. About 40 percent said they got it illegally on the black market, from a drug dealer or by stealing it.

http://www.politifact.com/punditfac...-joe-scarborough-tiny-fraction-crimes-commit/

Quite well, actually. Considering the number of guns owned by law abiding citizens, the number of violent gun crimes is infinitesimally small.

Why is it we cannot paint Muslims with a broad brush, but it's perfectly acceptable to paint all gun owners with one? :roll:

Have it at then; more guns for everyone.

So the solution is to let people carry firearms into nightclubs where they'll be drinking? That doesn't exactly strike me as a good idea.

Nor does having firearms around first graders

Patrons with guns? No. Someone at the club/bar with a gun? Bar tender, owner, bouncer even? Sure.

First graders with guns? Obviously not. One or two designated, qualified people who conceal carry? Why not?

I just don't get liberals. We get attacked, they want to ban guns.

If ISIS is a threat, would it not make better sense to have more guns in the hands of our law abiding citizens?

Most liberals are more passive when it comes to owning and using guns, I believe the majority of them are actually frightened by guns.
You can get some insight into this by looking at the statistics of those who enlist in the military for combat, there are way more conservative leaning men than liberal.

Makes sense why the civilian population would have the same makeup.

So the solution is to let people carry firearms into nightclubs where they'll be drinking? That doesn't exactly strike me as a good idea.

In Ohio it is legal to carry firearms into drinking establishments. And yet, there has not been a rash of mass shootings in bars. Weird huh?

Most liberals are more passive when it comes to owning and using guns, I believe the majority of them are actually frightened by guns.
You can get some insight into this by looking at the statistics of those who enlist in the military for combat, there are way more conservative leaning men than liberal.

It's also possible that the reason behind this alleged prevalence of conservative-leaning men in the military is the idea that conservative-leaning men are generally not that bright and a military career seems the only thing available to them. Meanwhile, liberal-leaning men are too occupied with academic attainment and high-paying executive and technical jobs that they have no time for a the monotony of the military.

You see? we can all play this game.

In Ohio it is legal to carry firearms into drinking establishments. And yet, there has not been a rash of mass shootings in bars. Weird huh?

Uh huh. And yet, I bet most people utilize discretion and don't actually carry firearms if their going to be drinking.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's something people do en masse.

Alcohal and firearms aren't a good combination. It's as simple as that.

Patrons with guns? No. Someone at the club/bar with a gun? Bar tender, owner, bouncer even? Sure.

First graders with guns? Obviously not. One or two designated, qualified people who conceal carry? Why not?

Cause of the person isn't careful with were they put their firearm a little kid could grab it and harm themselves or others.

No offense to my teachers but I would have had no confidence whatsoever in their ability to shoot an intruder.

Bartender or club owner..... Maybe.

Armed security personnel who've been trained would definitely help.

It's also possible that the reason behind this alleged prevalence of conservative-leaning men in the military is the idea that conservative-leaning men are generally not that bright and a military career seems the only thing available to them. Meanwhile, liberal-leaning men are too occupied with academic attainment and high-paying executive and technical jobs that they have no time for a the monotony of the military.

You see? we can all play this game.

I'm using statistics, how about you?

Uh huh. And yet, I bet most people utilize discretion and don't actually carry firearms if their going to be drinking.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's something people do en masse.

Alcohal and firearms aren't a good combination. It's as simple as that.

The only thing simple, is the leftist thought process where self defense and liberty are concerned. They simply cannot imagine people behaving responsibly.

Do you have any evidence to support your claim that concealed carry is uncommon in bars in Ohio?

I'm using statistics, how about you?

is that right? I must've missed those figures in your post, not that it'd make any difference, as you took the liberty of deciphering those invisible statistics in accordance with your whimsy and explained them by the cowardice of non-conservatives.

The only thing simple, is the leftist thought process where self defense and liberty are concerned. They simply cannot imagine people behaving responsibly.

Do you have any evidence to support your claim that concealed carry is uncommon in bars in Ohio?

Really dude?

Seriously?

I can't ****ing believe I'm having to explain why using a tool which could easily kill or injure yourself or another person while in an altered state of mind is a bad idea.

People get in fist fights in bars all the time. What happens when Bob is getting his ass kicked by Jack and decides to pull out his Smith and Wesson and put a round in that asshole's gut?

Alcohal vastly impaires decision making skills and judgement. When the entire ****ing bar is packing heat that's a recipe for disaster.

I get this image that when an attack comes, the liberals all run to their safe space in a gun free zone and start singing kumbaya.

On the surface, I agree. But, in reality, maybe not. I'd rather be in a bar with drunks packing heat than in a safe space with a bunch of pansies when a gunman with an AK storms through the door.

is that right? I must've missed those figures in your post, not that it'd make any difference, as you took the liberty of deciphering those invisible statistics in accordance with your whimsy and explained them by the cowardice of non-conservatives.

When I'm faced with posts like mine from the left, I have the mental fortitude to do a little research in order to rebut, and, I'm not much on throwing personal insults to mask my frustration.

I get this image that when an attack comes, the liberals all run to their safe space in a gun free zone and start singing kumbaya.
I see them making friends with those brave enough to put up a fight and hiding behind them!

Cause of the person isn't careful with were they put their firearm a little kid could grab it and harm themselves or others.

No offense to my teachers but I would have had no confidence whatsoever in their ability to shoot an intruder.

Bartender or club owner..... Maybe.

Armed security personnel who've been trained would definitely help.

I'm not talking, a gun in a teachers desk. That's stupid. I'm talking, a teacher who is willing (would involve bump in pay imo), get trading, required certification, a competency test even, and then that fire arm stays on their person for the duration of the day.

You never worry about a cop leaving their gun where someone could get their hands on it. How come?

Really dude?

Seriously?

I can't ****ing believe I'm having to explain why using a tool which could easily kill or injure yourself or another person while in an altered state of mind is a bad idea.

People get in fist fights in bars all the time. What happens when Bob is getting his ass kicked by Jack and decides to pull out his Smith and Wesson and put a round in that asshole's gut?

Alcohal vastly impaires decision making skills and judgement. When the entire ****ing bar is packing heat that's a recipe for disaster.

I never said anything about drinking and carrying. Ever heard of the concept of "the designated driver"?

On the surface, I agree. But, in reality, maybe not. I'd rather be in a bar with drunks packing heat than in a safe space with a bunch of pansies when a gunman with an AK storms through the door.

If you don't get shot dead by accident first.

So far, the idea of weapons in the hands of the people ('the militia') has worked out just fine. The militia is a safeguard to ensure "the security of a free State". So far...we are doing just fine. The fact is that 120million+ law abiding citizens own firearms and you have absolutely nothing to fear from us.

Trying to tie the issues together is foolish.

People really should consider defensive alternatives. If a concealed carry holder is at a mall and something bad happens, they are in a position to respond. In the Orlando shooting the best response would not necessarily have been a concealed weapons holder taking down the terrorist (though that would have been fine). The best course of action would have been for a club packed with hundreds of people to have rushed the bastard and beat wholesale ass. It is our victim mindset that must change.

Back
Top Bottom