• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is WAR with IRAN in our near future?

icky

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
GSS7881 said:
The administration has no hope of securing the votes needed for sanctions or punitive action. The trip to the Security Council is purely a ploy to provide the cover of international legitimacy to another act of unprovoked aggression. The case has gone as far as it will go excluding the requisite “touched up” satellite photos and bogus allegations of unreliable dissidents.
We should now be focused on how Washington intends to carry out its war plans, since war appears to be inevitable.
Those who doubt that the Bush-Cheney-Rumsfeld team will attack Iran, while so conspicuously overextended in Iraq, are ignoring the subtleties of the administration’s Middle East strategy.
Bush has no intention of occupying Iran. Rather, the goal is to destroy major weapons-sites, destabilize the regime, and occupy a sliver of land on the Iraqi border that contains 90% of Iran’s oil wealth. Ultimately, Washington will aim to replace the Mullahs with American-friendly clients who can police their own people and fabricate the appearance of representative government. But, that will have to wait. For now, the administration must prevent the incipient Iran bourse (oil-exchange) from opening in March and precipitating a global sell-off of the debt-ridden dollar. There have many fine articles written about the proposed “euro-based” bourse and the devastating effects it will have on the greenback. The best of these are “Petrodollar Warfare: Oil, Iraq and the Future of the Dollar” by William R. Clark, and “The Proposed Oil Bourse” by Krassimir Petrov, Ph.D.
The bottom line on the bourse is this; the dollar is underwritten by a national debt that now exceeds $8 trillion dollars and trade deficits that surpass $600 billion per year. That means that the greenback is the greatest swindle in the history of mankind. It’s utterly worthless. The only thing that keeps the dollar afloat is that oil is traded exclusively in greenbacks rather than some other currency. If Iran is able to smash that monopoly by trading in petro-euros then the world’s central banks will dump the greenback overnight, sending markets crashing and the US economy into a downward spiral.
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article11743.htm

eurhmm,well to tell u the truth ,i dont think Israel is THAT dumb to attack Iran's nuclear facilities.Israel knows the consequences of such a strike.If Iran gets attacked,Israel's northern part will get hit by hundreds of primitive Katyucha missiles( or i think its spelled this way lol )from Hizb Allah in lebanon.Some of you would say that well see Iraq got attacked, hizb Allah did not retaliate.Now there is a difference Iraq did not support hizb allah in lebanon, Iran did.So a major move against Iran would create Havoc in the Cities bordering southern lebanon.As for the us,if we talk Iran Vs USA in a head on military conflict,USA will defenitly win;but Iranian soldiers are not trained to do typical warfare,they are trained to do guerilla and street warfares wich the US has alot of problems dealing with ( example in Iraq).
So in conclusion, the war on Iran is not near,Iran would prolly get sanctions imposed on it, but war is not in the near future!!

if history means anything,

we have at least a decade and about 15 resolutions to go before war is a possibility.

and then, we can hear how Bush is a war criminal for doing what the UN failed to do.

:rofl ... I can't believe how lame the opening post is :spin:

if history means anything,

we have at least a decade and about 15 resolutions to go before war is a possibility.

and then, we can hear how Bush is a war criminal for doing what the UN failed to do.

Totally agree on that,at least a decade and 15 resolutions and hell loada sanctions :)!!!!!

Re: the first post...shades of Canuck! He has been reincarnated!

This has been talked about since 2000 and before. Depending on who is doing the talking, it is claimed as the end of the dollar and the beginning of a rapid descent into depression of the US economy coupled with the rapid ascendancy of all middle eastern Arab economies (whether they are oil producers or not). Others say that "the invasion of Iraq had less to do with any threat from Saddam's long-gone weapons of mass destruction program...than it has to do with gaining control over Iraq's hydrocarbon reserves". One so-called analyst, William Clark has written,

"Unfortunately, it has become clear that yet another manufactured war, or some type of covert operation is inevitable under President Bush … Numerous news reports … have revealed that the neo-conservatives are quietly — but actively — planning for the second petrodollar war, this time against Iran."

http://www.cpa.org.au/garchve05/1215iran.html

Note that Clark's article is hosted on the Australian Communist Party web site.

Whichever side of the argument you come down on, the analysis is consistently...simplistic and conspiracy-theory driven.

(1) The assumptions are uniformly that the two major trading centers for oil - NYMEX and IPE - will not be able to respond in any kind of effecitve manner to a competitive threat to the markets which are their livelihood. This is a huge and mistaken assumption. These exchanges have been trading commodities for many years and have built up large coteries of traders who risk their own capital in trading commodities. They provide the liquidity that makes the markets function. These exchanges have also built large followings among the users and producers of petroleum products who trade these products as hedgers. Anyone who thinks that a start-up exchange in Tehran of all places will be able to attract trading liquidity to match the NYMEX and/or the IPE without attracting a similar trader and end-user customer base is just totally ignorant of the basics of commodity trading.

(2) The pricing of crude in euros may well lead to a increased demand at the margin for euros, but the euros received in payment for oil will still have to be invested somewhere. And, as compared to dollar-denominated investments, there are still simply relatively few opportunities for investing in euro-denominated instruments. Simply put, if an oil producer takes payment for his crude in euros, he has to put those euros to work somewhere, or let them sit idle, earning nothing (even Muslims don't like to do that). There are orders of magnitude more places to invest in dollar-denominated instruments than any other. Yes, the number of euro denominated instruments are growing, but they still lag quite far behind USD denominated instruments. The USD is still the leading reserve currency, despite all the gloom and doom of the last 5 years, when this talk started. Consequently, the oil producer that took euros in payment is likely to have to switch to dollars in order to put his oil sale proceeds to work.

There are other reasons, but these two are enough.

oldreliable67 said:
Re: the first post...shades of Canuck! He has been reincarnated!
Apparently so. I was intrigued so I peeked under the rug so to speak.

• The thread initiator 'icky', has all of 8 posts as I write this.
• icky quoted 'GSS7881'. There is no such member in the DP database.
• icky has not returned to the only thread he has authored.
• The link that icky provided points to a page that was authored by one Mike Whitney (not GSS7881). If you Google this name, you will discover that Mr. Whitney is vehemently anti-Bush, revels in conspiracy theories, and is a regular anti-American contributor to Al-Jazeerah.

Draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:
sasho said:
eurhmm,well to tell u the truth ,i dont think Israel is THAT dumb to attack Iran's nuclear facilities.Israel knows the consequences of such a strike.If Iran gets attacked,Israel's northern part will get hit by hundreds of primitive Katyucha missiles( or i think its spelled this way lol )from Hizb Allah in lebanon.Some of you would say that well see Iraq got attacked, hizb Allah did not retaliate.Now there is a difference Iraq did not support hizb allah in lebanon, Iran did.So a major move against Iran would create Havoc in the Cities bordering southern lebanon.
Meh...it's not a matter of stupidity, rather a matter of saftey. The Iranian president has made some rather disturbing comments lately, such as saying that Israel should be "wiped off the map" and other such statements. He has also continued to deny the existence of the Holocaust. Iran as a whole is very Anti-Israel and what with their new nuclear "research" program, Israel can't just sit there and wait to be attacked.

If Iran shows any signs of the possibility of an attack, Israel will have no choice but to go to war.

On a final note, Israel isn't guranteed to lose. They have what could be considered the best military in the world and if history repeats itself, they shouldn't have much of an issue (They've won every war they've fought, haven't they? Even when they were outnumbered, like the Six Day War in 1967).

Tashah said:

• The link that icky provided points to a page that was authored by one Mike Whitney (not GSS7881). If you Google this name, you will discover that Mr. Whitney is vehemently anti-Bush, revels in conspiracy theories, and is a regular anti-American contributor to Al-Jazeerah.

Nice sleuthing ;)

sasho said:
Totally agree on that,at least a decade and 15 resolutions and hell loada sanctions :)!!!!!
Some deal with words, some deal with swords, either way their is a head is coming off! :rofl

Tashah said:

Clever Girl! Never except anything at face value! :wink:

Tashah said:

Yeah I love it when liberals quote other liberals. Like the opinion of some jew hating al jazeerah wacko with a phd from a pretend school means anything. Haha.

We'll be going to war with them and Syria probably as soon as March. It depends on how much of a facade the Bush administration wants to put on with the U.N. Security Council.

Isn't it funny how we have inflamed mooseslime sentiment in the Mooseslime world over cartoons that were published 5 months ago? Right when the George needs a spark to ignite his powder keg... that George... he sure is one lucky s-o-b ain't he... never wrong or at fault for anything and always having a handy reason for starting another preventable war. Damn! And we don't want to forget the luck of having a daddy who could pull the necessary strings to keep sonny boy out of the Nam.

:cool:

always having a handy reason for starting another preventable war
every war is preventable, if you are willing to allow radical nutjobs to do as they please.

war with Germany was preventable.
war with Japan was preventable.

ProudAmerican said:
every war is preventable, if you are willing to allow radical nutjobs to do as they please.

war with Germany was preventable.
war with Japan was preventable.

Iraq was contained. Jeez... think about it... in two wars with them they launched a single Mig 21 fighter! That's a Vietnam era plane! We could have pinched them into nonexistence easily. And if it was necessary to oust the man that we helped put into power then get in there blow his arse away and get out and let the chips fall where they may! If Iraq is embroiled in a thre-way civil war how would it be able to attack anyone else? This "democracy" is going to fall as soon as we are out of there.

There's a good chance that Nazi Germany could have been prevented from ever coming into being had the West not been so harsh on them with the Treaty of Versailles. And also had France and Britian not capitulated early on. There's no way of knowing but there were opportunities that were not taken.

And as for the terrorist threat here in the U.S. forgive me if I doubt the seriousness of it... but with an administration that speaks of mushroom clouds over our land and still has done nothing to close our porous borders or halt immigration from the muslim world something smells more than a little fishy to me. Now either the threat isn't as grave as the George would have us believe or he isn't concerned enough about it to **** off his corporamerican puppet masters.

Personally, I think he doesn't want to **** off his Corporamerican Puppet Masters.

And as for the terrorist threat here in the U.S. forgive me if I doubt the seriousness of it...

some people just dont get it. some never will. before 9-11 im sure you thought "19 guys with knives taking over planes and flying them into the WTC......YEA RIGHT!!!!"

but it happened.

they people that think terrorism is a minimal threat will only be convinced otherwise after a catastrophic event.

for some of us, 9-11 was enough. for some, it wasnt.

Back
Top Bottom