• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is WalMart discriminating against women?

tryreading said:
There is a lawsuit against WalMart because the store does not allow emergency contraception to be sold by its pharmacies.

http://home.peoplepc.com/psp/newsst...0060201/43e04050_3422_1334620060201-980231027
That article is a commercial.
"CVS Corp., the state's largest pharmacy chain, stocks the pill at all of its drugstores."
CVS is irrelevant to the story, so why put it in?

Target doesn't carry the 'morning after' pill either. Where's their lawsuit?

I smell propaganda cooking here.

Honestly, I think this is a way to just stir up controversy! How is it that Walmart will refuse to sell the morning after pill, but are fine with selling Playboys, guns and ammunition, and stuff like that?! I don't think Walmart can really expect to limit the morning after pill, but allow the sale of other questionable merchandise. I think it is stupid, but they have a right to sell what they want in their stores. If you don't like it, shop somewhere else!

Jerry said:
"CVS Corp., the state's largest pharmacy chain, stocks the pill at all of its drugstores."

I read the same story on Yahoo News.

As for Target....do you have a source for that?

Stace said:
I read the same story on Yahoo News.

As for Target....do you have a source for that?
I make it my business to know these things.
But if you want something to read, here.
If you Google "Target Refuses" you will get a few dozen articles.

It all comes down to money. Freedom-of-religious-expression and forced-violation-of-the-morals-claws lawsuits resulting from mandating the M.A.P. have outwayed the financial wight of lawsuits resulting from women who Target redirects to another pharmacy.

Target phones in the perscription and makes all arrangements, short of transpertation, to a pharmacy that will fill a perscription for the M.A.P.

Thus the issue is not rather a woman is going to get her perscription or not, it's just a matter of where it will be filled; which is a petty thing to squabble about.

A privet pharmacy, unlike a public hospitole, has the right to refuse any perscription/customer with or without reason.

Jerry said:
I make it my business to know these things.
But if you want something to read, here.
If you Google "Target Refuses" you will get a few dozen articles.

It all comes down to money. Freedom-of-religious-expression and forced-violation-of-the-morals-claws lawsuits resulting from mandating the M.A.P. have outwayed the financial wight of lawsuits resulting from women who Target redirects to another pharmacy.

Target phones in the perscription and makes all arrangements, short of transpertation, to a pharmacy that will fill a perscription for the M.A.P.

Thus the issue is not rather a woman is going to get her perscription or not, it's just a matter of where it will be filled; which is a petty thing to squabble about.

A privet pharmacy, unlike a public hospitole, has the right to refuse any perscription/customer with or without reason.

So, in your opinion, is it okay to refuse to fill a prescription because of a policy adopted for religious reasons? Even if the opening of a Walmart in a particular area forced surrounding pharmacies out of business because they couldn't compete with Walmart's pricing?

http://www.religioustolerance.org/abo_walm.htm

tryreading said:
So, in your opinion, is it okay to refuse to fill a prescription because of a policy adopted for religious reasons? Even if the opening of a Walmart in a particular area forced surrounding pharmacies out of business because they couldn't compete with Walmart's pricing?

If you go back and read my post, accurately this time, instead of projecting your own assumptions and biases into my words, you will see that Target's policy was not made for religious reasons, but financial reasons = the monetary size of lawsuits.

I mean, really, do you expect me to believe that a cooperation which tried to ban "Christmas" from it's stores just up and decided to not distribute the MaP for religious reasons? That issue was dictated by money as well.

No matter which way Wallmart/Target go on this matter, they will be sued by someone.

As for everything you said about Wallmart, that has nothing to do with my last post.

My opinion on the matter is irrelevant to cooperate policy, as both Target and Wallmart have the right to refuse service if that is what they choose to do.

My opinion on the matter is irrelevant to existing state law. Wallmart either is or is not in violation of existing state statutes. The pending legal action will resolve the issue.

Jerry said:
If you go back and read my post, accurately this time, instead of projecting your own assumptions and biases into my words, you will see that Target's policy was not made for religious reasons, but financial reasons = the monetary size of lawsuits.

I mean, really, do you expect me to believe that a cooperation which tried to ban "Christmas" from it's stores just up and decided to not distribute the MaP for religious reasons? That issue was dictated by money as well.

No matter which way Wallmart/Target go on this matter, they will be sued by someone.

As for everything you said about Wallmart, that has nothing to do with my last post.

My opinion on the matter is irrelevant to cooperate policy, as both Target and Wallmart have the right to refuse service if that is what they choose to do.

My opinion on the matter is irrelevant to existing state law. Wallmart either is or is not in violation of existing state statutes. The pending legal action will resolve the issue.

This thread is about Walmart and its policy. One Walmart official said that their refusal to sell map drugs is related to scripture. Based on that and the fact that this site is for expressing opinions, I asked a relevant question. Answer it or not.

tryreading said:
This thread is about Walmart and its policy. One Walmart official said that their refusal to sell map drugs is related to scripture. Based on that and the fact that this site is for expressing opinions, I asked a relevant question. Answer it or not.
I don't know where you get "related to scripture" out of "Fogleman said the company "chooses not to carry many products for business reasons".

The article you quoted does not say anything about religion, one way or another.

Jerry said:
I don't know where you get "related to scripture" out of "Fogleman said the company "chooses not to carry many products for business reasons".

The article you quoted does not say anything about religion, one way or another.

I posted the link below in my previous post to you to show reason for my question, but you didn't check it. You would have seen the scripture reference:

According to an article in Christianity Today -- America's leading Evangelical Christian magazine --:

" 'Is Wal-Mart a Christian company? No,' said former Wal-Mart executive Don Soderquist at a recent prayer breakfast. 'But the basis of our decisions was the values of Scripture'." 18

tryreading said:
I posted the link below in my previous post to you to show reason for my question, but you didn't check it. You would have seen the scripture reference:

According to an article in Christianity Today -- America's leading Evangelical Christian magazine --:

" 'Is Wal-Mart a Christian company? No,' said former Wal-Mart executive Don Soderquist at a recent prayer breakfast. 'But the basis of our decisions was the values of Scripture'." 18

Oops, I missed the article. My bad.

The question is, is Wallmart doing anything illegal?
If they are not, then it's all good, because everything ells is covered under the 1st. Amendment.

It sounds like they are trying to accommodate their costumer base.

Hipster19 said, "How is it that Walmart will refuse to sell the morning after pill, but are fine with selling Playboys, guns and ammunition, and stuff like that?!

Selling playboys is different than selling a drug that will kill a living thing.

ECP can suppress ovulation but its main function is to keep a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus. This birth control method like others either sometimes or often alter the mother's womb in a way that causes it to
reject human life.

Although this methodsroutinelyreferred to as a contraceptive they are not just that. That is, they do not always prevent conception. Sometimes or often they result in the death of already conceived human being.

A number of pro-life pharmacies have stated in good conscience they cant dispense chemical abortifacients. And they should not be forced to...there are plenty of places that will.

doughgirl said:
Selling playboys is different than selling a drug that will kill a living thing.

ECP can suppress ovulation but its main function is to keep a fertilized egg from implanting in the uterus. This birth control method like others either sometimes or often alter the mother's womb in a way that causes it to
reject human life.

Although this methodsroutinelyreferred to as a contraceptive they are not just that. That is, they do not always prevent conception. Sometimes or often they result in the death of already conceived human being.

A number of pro-life pharmacies have stated in good conscience they cant dispense chemical abortifacients. And they should not be forced to...there are plenty of places that will.

Do you think the m.a.p. should be sold by any pharmacy?

doughgirl said:
Then how about them selling guns and ammunition to anyone that walks in off the street?! Those can be used to kill living things, but I don't see Walmart banning the sales of guns! A little hypocritical, don't you think?!

doughgirl said:
reject human life.

The MAP is designed to not allow an egg to attach to the wall of the uterus. Generally, the egg is not even implanted with the sperm and the pill is just used as a precaution. However, there are many instances where the egg has been implanted, but that is long before any signs of life are even apparent. Its still an egg.

doughgirl said:
I'm sorry, but as a publicly traded company, Walmart doesn't have the right to be 'pro-life' or 'pro-choice'. If it was a privately owned pharmacy, I would understand them not wanting to put it on their shelves because of personal convictions, but like anyone in the corporate office at Walmart has any personal convictions anyway!

hipster_19 said:
Then how about them selling guns and ammunition to anyone that walks in off the street?! Those can be used to kill living things, but I don't see Walmart banning the sales of guns! A little hypocritical, don't you think?!
OH---MY---GOD!!!!

Get a clue, guy. Wallmart is NOT allowed to "[sell] guns and ammunition to anyone that walks in off the street?!"

I used to work in the sporting goods dpt. at a Wallmart, so this is comming from the horse's mouth: As a Licensed firearm dealer, Wallmart complies with ALL State and Federal laws for selling a firearm. Elements of the transaction include but not limited to: a complete and thurough personal backround check of the purchaser, which includes mental health, citizen status, age and criminal record; a personal questionair as to the purchaser's intended use of the firearm, and of coarse, the individual employee's personal opinion of the buyer (that miens that even if someone passed all of the State and Federal requirements, and was a perfect buyer in all ways, even by what ever standards that you may wish to impose, the employee can still refuse the sale, for absolutely no reason).

Check your facts before you go spouting off your propaganda, will you?

Jerry said:
OH---MY---GOD!!!!

Get a clue, guy. Wallmart is NOT allowed to "[sell] guns and ammunition to anyone that walks in off the street?!"

I used to work in the sporting goods dpt. at a Wallmart, so this is comming from the horse's mouth: As a Licensed firearm dealer, Wallmart complies with ALL State and Federal laws for selling a firearm. Elements of the transaction include but not limited to: a complete and thurough personal backround check of the purchaser, which includes mental health, citizen status, age and criminal record; a personal questionair as to the purchaser's intended use of the firearm, and of coarse, the individual employee's personal opinion of the buyer (that miens that even if someone passed all of the State and Federal requirements, and was a perfect buyer in all ways, even by what ever standards that you may wish to impose, the employee can still refuse the sale, for absolutely no reason).

Check your facts before you go spouting off your propaganda, will you?

Perhaps you should check your facts as well. hipster_19 is a female, as is clearly indicated by the gender icon under her name.

And I certainly don't see her spouting off any propaganda.

tryreading said:
There is a lawsuit against WalMart because the store does not allow emergency contraception to be sold by its pharmacies.

They are a private company and the government has no business telling them they have to.

hipster_19 said:
Honestly, I think this is a way to just stir up controversy! How is it that Walmart will refuse to sell the morning after pill, but are fine with selling Playboys, guns and ammunition, and stuff like that?! I don't think Walmart can really expect to limit the morning after pill, but allow the sale of other questionable merchandise. I think it is stupid, but they have a right to sell what they want in their stores. If you don't like it, shop somewhere else!

They don't sell Playboy but they are a private company and can choose to sell whatever they want to sell as long as it is legal. You DO believe we have a right to choose?

tryreading said:

It doesn't matter what the reason is they are a private company and can sell or not sell whatever they choose. Since when did government get the right to tell a private merchant what they have to sell? And we have huge Wal-Mart's here and lots of CVS and Walgreens too.

Stinger said:
It doesn't matter what the reason is they are a private company and can sell or not sell whatever they choose. Since when did government get the right to tell a private merchant what they have to sell? And we have huge Wal-Mart's here and lots of CVS and Walgreens too.

But is it right, to you? In other words, if you owned a pharmacy, would it sell the m.a.p.?

I agree in most instances the government should leave business to itself, unless there are laws being broken. Walmart would only be breaking the law in Missouri (I think that's the state that forces Walmart to sell the medication) if it didn't dispense the m.a.p. there.

Stinger said:

Actually, Wal Mart isn't a private company. They're traded on the stock market, which makes them a public company.

Stace said:
Perhaps you should check your facts as well. hipster_19 is a female, as is clearly indicated by the gender icon under her name.

And I certainly don't see her spouting off any propaganda.
1. A slang term ("guy") is not a fact, so it need not be checked;
2. Propaganda quote: "Then how about [Wallmart] selling guns and ammunition to anyone that walks in off the street?!"

Stace said:
Actually, Wal Mart isn't a private company. They're traded on the stock market, which makes them a public company.
That's 2 different types of "public" there.
A "public" company is not the same thing as a "public" municipal body.
"Publicly traded" is not "public property".

Jerry said:
1. A slang term ("guy") is not a fact, so it need not be checked;

Last time I checked, women did not like to be addressed as "guy". Now, if you're talking to a group of people, and you say "Hey you guys", that is something entirely different. Dude would have been more acceptable, but still not appropriate for the situation.

2. Propaganda quote: "Then how about [Wallmart] selling guns and ammunition to anyone that walks in off the street?!"

dictionary.com said:
Propaganda

n : information that is spread for the purpose of promoting some cause

How is that sentence promoting any sort of cause? Oh, that's right, it's not.

Stace said:
Last time I checked, women did not like to be addressed as "guy". Now, if you're talking to a group of people, and you say "Hey you guys", that is something entirely different. Dude would have been more acceptable, but still not appropriate for the situation.

I'm being lectured on slang..........

How is that sentence promoting any sort of cause? Oh, that's right, it's not.

Jerry said:
tryreading said:

http://home.peoplepc.com/psp/newssto...0201-980231027

The thread starts with an anti-Wallmart/pro CVS commercial, and now we have an accusation that Wallmart sells firearms to "anyone that walks in off the street".

Wallmart is not the enemy, people.

Back
Top Bottom