• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Ukraine worth saving?

NWRatCon

Eco**Social Marketeer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
220px-Lw%C3%B3w_-_Cerkiew_Uspie%C5%84ska.jpg
220px-Lemberg_Hauptbahnhof_2.JPG
Lviv

I've lived there. There are beaten down places to be sure. But many of the cities are magnificent.

L'viv and Odesa were my favorite cities, followed by Kyiv.

Taras Shevchenko National University in Kyiv....

iu

Last edited:
Yes, it is worth saving.

Not only is that brute a war criminal but also a slob that would destroy such beautiful buildings.

When, oh when, are the Russian people going to "spank" him?

They're beautiful places but in the end it's people and democracy. :)

I have to relate a little story. You may like it or not.>>> A man was walking down a seashore one morning and noticed there was another man
picking up a starfish one at a time, and throwing the starfish back into deep water....so it would live another day. The first man said: Why are you doing that?... there are thousands of starfish that were washed up on the shore last night...Do you actually think that your pitiful actions are going to make any difference?" You're just wasting time!
The other man picked up another starfish, threw it far out into the sea and said: Made a mighty big difference to that one. :)

It can't be. I've seen two rightists here call Ukraine a shithole country.
As if that would justify Russia invading them too, lol.

Quoting:

White wars

The war in Ukraine joins a sequence of wars that have opened sores on a very fragile planet. Wars in Africa and Asia seem endless, and some of them are rarely commented upon with any feeling in media outlets across the world or in the cascade of posts found on social media platforms. For example, the war in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which started in 1996 and which has resulted in millions of casualties, has not elicited the kind of sympathy from the world now seen during the reporting on Ukraine. In contrast, the startlingly frank comments from political leaders and journalists during the conflict in Ukraine have revealed the grip of racism on the imaginations of these shapers of public opinion.

It was impossible recently to get major global media outlets interested in the conflict in Cabo Delgado, which grew out of the capture of the bounty of natural gas by TotalEnergies SE (France) and ExxonMobil (U.S.) and led to the deployment of the French-backed Rwandan military in Mozambique. At COP26, I told a group of oil company executives about this intervention—which I had covered for Globetrotter—and one of them responded with precise accuracy: “You’re right about what you say, but no one cares.”

No one, which is to say the political forces in the North Atlantic states, cares about the suffering of children in Africa and Asia. They are, however, gripped by the war in Ukraine, which should grip them, which distresses all of us, but which should not be allowed to be seen as worse than other conflicts taking place across the globe that are much more brutal and are likely to slip out of everyone’s memory due to the lack of interest and attention given by world leaders and media outlets to them.

Quoting:

White wars

The war in Ukraine joins a sequence of wars that have opened sores on a very fragile planet. Wars in Africa and Asia seem endless, and some of them are rarely commented upon with any feeling in media outlets across the world or in the cascade of posts found on social media platforms. For example, the war in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which started in 1996 and which has resulted in millions of casualties, has not elicited the kind of sympathy from the world now seen during the reporting on Ukraine. In contrast, the startlingly frank comments from political leaders and journalists during the conflict in Ukraine have revealed the grip of racism on the imaginations of these shapers of public opinion.

It was impossible recently to get major global media outlets interested in the conflict in Cabo Delgado, which grew out of the capture of the bounty of natural gas by TotalEnergies SE (France) and ExxonMobil (U.S.) and led to the deployment of the French-backed Rwandan military in Mozambique. At COP26, I told a group of oil company executives about this intervention—which I had covered for Globetrotter—and one of them responded with precise accuracy: “You’re right about what you say, but no one cares.”

No one, which is to say the political forces in the North Atlantic states, cares about the suffering of children in Africa and Asia. They are, however, gripped by the war in Ukraine, which should grip them, which distresses all of us, but which should not be allowed to be seen as worse than other conflicts taking place across the globe that are much more brutal and are likely to slip out of everyone’s memory due to the lack of interest and attention given by world leaders and media outlets to them.

Didn't ya know that those black/brown folk don't count?

The West , NATO members, are as we speak bombing kids and enabling others to bomb them in Yemen in support of an authoritarian nightmare state that makes Russia look like a libertarian paradise .

The overt racist coverage is hideous imo

But let the white folk here bask in the insular world of white civilisation and forget about the hypocrisy and those dead and dying black/brown folk/kids currently being cluster bombed by the head choppers of the KSA

On the right is Odesa's Opera House which is gorgeous inside. I once lived within walking distance of the Opera House.

Although it is not, the street on the left reminds me of Deribasovskaya Ulitsa (Street) in downtown Odesa. It is also a tree-lined cobblestone boulevard for pedestrians only (yet larger in size). On both sides of the boulevard are buildings in the style of European Renaissance architecture. On the street level are taverns, boutique's, and fashion shops. In the summer, there are also covered patio's so you can eat and drink outisde. There are kiosks and live music stages, and small stages for puppet shows for the children etc. This section of Deribasovskaya is about a mile long and on each anchoring end are beautiful parks with trees, fountains, and gorgeous flowers.

Odessa-Passage-of-Odessa-in-the-most-beautiful-shopping-mall-in-the-city-on-May-18-in-Odessa..jpg

Along Deribasovskaya Street near the City Garden, you will come across the Passage, a stunning 19th-century hotel building. The ground floor of the building is where you’ll find the opulent Neo-Baroque passage covered with a glass and metal ceiling to let in natural light. Adorned with Stucco figures of ancient Greek gods, its architecture and charm symbolize the golden era of Odesa. On either side, the passage is lined with boutiques, souvenir shops and cafes.

Even though its far from a perfect democracy, it is one and that makes it worth defending.

How do you work that one out?

It suffered a US backed coup that overthrew the last democratically elected government in elections that included or were open to ALL Ukrainians.

The people that refused to accept the coupsters have been shelled senseless for 7 years by their own successive governments with thousands of casualties in a bloody civil war

Back
Top Bottom