• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Ukraine a Real Country?

Ukraine asked for protection by the Russians.
No, Ukraine asked for assistance from the US and NATO. What are you talking about?

The problem is I don't see a valid reason to reject it.
I would suggest you watch the speech the UN ambassador gave at the UN.

This might seem like a weird question, but Ukrainian self-determination has dubious historical foundations. If you look into it, you'll find that Ukraine was part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth before getting partitioned into Imperial Russia before Napoleonic Europe. In contrast, Napoleon himself was the cause for why the Republic of Venice lost its over 1,000 year independence to Austria which received the rest of Ukraine as well. The partition happened in 1793 whereas Venice fell in 1797.

Therefore, is there really any argument for why Ukraine shouldn't be treated as a fake nation and the entire country should be reabsorbed by Russia?
It's as much a real country as any other country on this planet. Is it recongnized by the International Community and does it exercise authority over territory? Yes. Then it's a real nation. Should US go back to be part of England again? I mean 1776 is not that long ago. Should Finland have any right to be independent? Finland did not exist before 1917. Before that Finland was a Grand Duchy of Russia from 1809, and before that a part of Sweden? Does Finland have any right to exist? Does any country by that measure? Or Poland? Poland was partitioned by Russia, Austria and Prussia in the three parititions: 1772, 1793 and 1795, then repartitioned by the same countries after the Napoleonic wars. Then Poland was reborn after WW1, and then again partitioned by Germany and USSR in 1939, and then recreated in a new form post WW2? Does Poland have a right to exist?

And the roots of modern Ukraine does not lie with the USSR, but with the short lived Ukrainian Republic during the Russian civil war, the reason there was a Ukrainian SSR in the first place was a nod to that Republic and the recognition that Ukrainians are not the same as Russians.

The above is a good education from one of the greatest living Sovietologists. View and listen to it before you write another word.

No, Ukraine asked for assistance from the US and NATO. What are you talking about?

I would suggest you watch the speech the UN ambassador gave at the UN.

Give me a time marker, please. This is 3 hours.

This might seem like a weird question, but Ukrainian self-determination has dubious historical foundations. If you look into it, you'll find that Ukraine was part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth before getting partitioned into Imperial Russia before Napoleonic Europe. In contrast, Napoleon himself was the cause for why the Republic of Venice lost its over 1,000 year independence to Austria which received the rest of Ukraine as well. The partition happened in 1793 whereas Venice fell in 1797.

Therefore, is there really any argument for why Ukraine shouldn't be treated as a fake nation and the entire country should be reabsorbed by Russia?
'is the United States' a real nation' .......so said many a British Tory in 1776...

Back
Top Bottom