• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Truth Synonymous with Honesty?

rhinefire

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Apply that question to any one of your relationships and respond.

"Honey, where were you after work?"

"I stopped in at Casey's Bar with a couple of the guys. Sorry I didn't call."

^^That's truth.

"...and I met an old girlfriend there. We made mad, passionate love until just an hour ago."

^^That's honesty.

^^That's truth.

"...and I met an old girlfriend there. We made mad, passionate love until just an hour ago."

^^That's honesty.

Sometimes Maggie really hammers the point.

"Honey, do you like this new dress? Does it make me look fat?"

"It's not the dress, dear. You really are fat."

or "I really think you look better in the black one."

Which is truth, which honesty?

"Honey, do you like this new dress? Does it make me look fat?"

"It's not the dress, dear. You really are fat."

or "I really think you look better in the black one."

Which is truth, which honesty?

in think in both cases, yes

To me, truth gets to the core of something, boils it down to its principals. Within truth, there is an element of human judgement and interpretation.

Honesty is a recitation of facts.

Honesty is lack of deceit. Speaking the truth is only one component of that.

^^That's truth.

^^That's honesty.

To me, the second part of that is right-on, but truth is when the guy in question examines himself, and comes to an honest assessment of how and what he is, and can seek the real meaning of his actions, then redirect his course based on what he discovers is a better way of being.

Iow, honesty would apply to both examples, but truth is a broader concept which applies more to reflection.

Truth is not dependent on what people think it is; there are plenty of honest men that don't tell the truth.

Honesty is covert.
Truth is overt.

Back
Top Bottom