• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Trump the Greatest President Ever? A Number of Respected People Think So

What makes a 'historian', and why isn't Rush one as well? I would say Rush is one of the top political historians in the world

Rush who?

Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer. He describes himself as such.

You leftwingers start to believe your own cartoon version of Trump. Then get tripped up when reality doesn't match.

"The wicked become ensnared in their own traps" Psalm 141:10

Trump is the contrived rightwing cartoon version of Obama come to life.

Nice dodge. Of course I know. You lost. Read my signature line.
If you want argue how Rush IS not only a historian, but a leading historian, clearly showing the criteria....knock yourself out. But as it stands, this is a tantamount to appeal to authority....and that is not a "win".

What makes a 'historian', and why isn't Rush one as well? I would say Rush is one of the top political historians in the world

Because of his parents' desire to see him attend college, he enrolled at Southeast Missouri State University but dropped out after two semesters. According to his mother, "he flunked everything...

Rush Limbaugh - Wikipedia

I'm not sure that I could have laughed any louder to see this thread on the day that the impeachment starts.

Historians don't pick sides.

I would like to agree with you. But, I can't.

History is rarely considered contemporaneously with the actual events that become history. As a result, History almost always becomes somewhat fluid depending on the prevailing biases of the times and the participants in events when they ARE being considered. If you looked at some of the "historical" texts of the pre-WW2 period, your jaw will likely drop to the floor and there remain until you closed the cover. There is a constant push-pull between proximity to the events being discussed and the biases of the participants who are all drawing on memory coupled with actual documents including things like contemporaneous maps etc.

This is no longer disputed by Historians. They live with it and deal with it everyday as a matter of practical concern. They do the best they can in an imperfect environment. The value of history is not times and places and even events. The true value of history is in delving into the minds and the logic of decision makers and determining for yourself if their logic paths made any sense. You should try to do that in context which is damned difficult if honestly attempted.

Imagine if you will the challenge of determining some level of corroboration for an event that took place only last week and then extrapolate that over fifty or one hundred years just as one example of one challenge for historians.

Presidents do not "create jobs."

You do realize this, correct?

Presidential policies can have an effect on job creation, as well as the quality of those jobs.

trump does not deserve credit - his policies only hurt the American people.

I mean, you can say it a hundred times, and these liberals will still bring up the same inane point. Repeat after me: "Obummer does NOT get credit for the inevitable rebound of an economy he helped tank". When you bounce a ball, and it comes back up, you did not make it rise.

Ignorance is bliss. You are blissful.

I would like to agree with you. But, I can't.

History is rarely considered contemporaneously with the actual events that become history. As a result, History almost always becomes somewhat fluid depending on the prevailing biases of the times and the participants in events when they ARE being considered. If you looked at some of the "historical" texts of the pre-WW2 period, your jaw will likely drop to the floor and there remain until you closed the cover. There is a constant push-pull between proximity to the events being discussed and the biases of the participants who are all drawing on memory coupled with actual documents including things like contemporaneous maps etc.

This is no longer disputed by Historians. They live with it and deal with it everyday as a matter of practical concern. They do the best they can in an imperfect environment. The value of history is not times and places and even events. The true value of history is in delving into the minds and the logic of decision makers and determining for yourself if their logic paths made any sense. You should try to do that in context which is damned difficult if honestly attempted.

Imagine if you will the challenge of determining some level of corroboration for an event that took place only last week and then extrapolate that over fifty or one hundred years just as one example of one challenge for historians.

Maybe I should have said something like, "Historians shouldn't take sides."

I agree that history is 'fluid' as today's events add context and substance to yesterday's.

Not to mention the effect of victors writing history.

Presidential policies can have an effect on job creation, as well as the quality of those jobs.

trump does not deserve credit - his policies only hurt the American people.

Right. That's why we have near the lowest unemployment in history.

You leftwingers start to believe your own cartoon version of Trump. Then get tripped up when reality doesn't match.

"The wicked become ensnared in their own traps" Psalm 141:10

Uncanny and perfect.

Title throws me off, I can't possibly imagine respecting someone who holds that opinion

Presidents & Executive Politics Presidential Greatness survey, conducted by University of Houston professor Brandon Rottinghaus and Boise State University professor Justin S. Vaughn, polled current and recent members of the Presidents & Executive Politics Section of the American Political Science Association and asked them to grade each president.

Trump’s first time on the list knocked Buchanan out of last place.

Donald Trump Last in Presidential Greatness: Historians | Time

I find it hard to believe he's even better that one out of 45. When this is all over, he will surely sink to the bottom. He doesn't have far to go, so it will be easy.

No he doesn't. He says he's a historian and journalist. And he's the best at both.

IMHO Rush is such an idiot propagandist, I can't listen for more than just a few minutes. Only people he is liked by are the basket of deplorable's. He speaks to the exact same people Trump speaks to. The only difference is, he has an element of education and does care about expanding his base. Can't say that much about Trump. The education of a 5th grader and doesn't care about anyone but his 35% which is deplorable.

I would say Rush is one of the top political spin merchants in the world.

There fixed it for ya'

Rush is probably the most accurate prognosticator in history. He was one of the only ones giving Trump oxygen at a time when everyone else said Trump didn't have a prayer. Rush also said Buttigeig is the candidate to be reckoned with in the end, He said this months ago when Pete was at 2%. Now look who leads in Iowa.

He is not only a journalist by any definition, the chief one being "a gatherer and/or a disseminator of news", he's the top journalist by every measure. Audience size? Influence? Income? It's Rush. No one else even comes close

Last edited:
Because of his parents' desire to see him attend college, he enrolled at Southeast Missouri State University but dropped out after two semesters. According to his mother, "he flunked everything...

Rush Limbaugh - Wikipedia

What the hell does that prove? Bill Gates dropped out of college as well.

IMHO Rush is such an idiot propagandist, I can't listen for more than just a few minutes. Only people he is liked by are the basket of deplorable's. He speaks to the exact same people Trump speaks to. The only difference is, he has an element of education and does care about expanding his base. Can't say that much about Trump. The education of a 5th grader and doesn't care about anyone but his 35% which is deplorable.

See? You've fallen for your side's cartoon version of Trump. The guy has an economics degree from an Ivy League school. The guy was building skyscrapers in his 30s. The guy had the pulse of America when he beat a very talented GOP field, and pulled the biggest upset in history. Anybody who thinks he is somehow unintelligent is not intelligent themselves.

Bring the cabbage!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom