• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Trump "Literally" this Stupid?

He has torpedoed every single primary challenger using this very same tactic. So far, it has been working.

No no....he's not torpedoing anyone but himself here.

This kind of crap is just insane.

He makes an outrageous and ignorant comment. He gets called on it. He belligerently stands by what he said and even repeats it a second or third time.

THEN - and only then

He recants with the childish "I was just kidding" kinda crap.

That kind on nonsense floats when he's heading up "Celebrity Apprentice", but it sure don't float when people are considering who to vote for in November.

No no....he's not torpedoing anyone but himself here.

This kind of crap is just insane.

He makes an outrageous and ignorant comment. He gets called on it. He belligerently stands by what he said and even repeats it a second or third time.

THEN - and only then

He recants with the childish "I was just kidding" kinda crap.

That kind on nonsense floats when he's heading up "Celebrity Apprentice", but it sure don't float when people are considering who to vote for in November.

Eh, it's not really all that outrageous when it comes to Trump. I'm really not even surprised by this type of stuff anymore.

Donald Trump says outrageous stuff all the time; like every 5 minutes.

Look, Trump has been doing this since day one. He has torpedoed every single primary challenger using this very same tactic. So far, it has been working.

He didn't torpedo anyone. The Republicans just split their party votes up too much. There will be no such luck for Trump here in the general election, there aren't 12 other folks on the ballot. He's going to get torpedoed, that's for sure. Nothing guaranteed a Hillary Presidency as much as Donald Trump.

I stated this in another thread and it's relevant here. And it's exactly why threads like this and so many others completely miss the mark in terms of "attacking" Trump in any sort of way that isn't just a circlejerk amongst those who already dislike the man

Too often people take Trumps words and his statements, and even his follow up, and try to approach them either using typical political convention OR by simply using their bias to expect and only except the absolute worst case scenario.

Trump is not going to say he didn't mean exactly what he said, because he absolutely meant it. To those that can't stand the man, that means he LITERALLY felt that way. But that's not the only way to read "I meant exactly what I said". Another way to read that is that he "meant" it in a sarcastic/figurative sense, and so if you're asking him to clarify he's not going to do so, because to him there's nothing to clarify...he meant what he said, as he said it, and as HE understood HIMSELF to mean.

One of Trumps big things is not apologizing or correcting himself if he doesn't feel like what he did or meant wasn't worthy of apologizing or correcting himself. What that means is he's not going to apologize or correct himself based on what OTHER PEOPLE interpret or think or feel he said.

You know how some people will go "My apologies if I offended you, it wasn't my intent". Trump, by his general thought process, isn't going to do that, because if his intent wasn't to offend then he has no reason to apologize, because any offend taken was in error on the part of the person being offended. "It's a you problem" he'd probably say.

Same goes here. Hugh wanted to try to get him to go into more nuance, to explain specifically what he meant. Trump was having none of it. He said something, he knew what he meant by it, he liked the way it sounded, and he was going to stick with that rather than going into nuance. Which opens it up for legit criticism, but undoubtedly, but doesn't preclude it from being stated in a way other than the 100% most literalistic fashion possible.

How do you think all that plays with the swing voters? You know, the ones who will determine the popular vote winner?

Or if you really want to dig deep, how well do you think that plays with the Electoral College voters?

How many republicans are now saying they won't support Trump in this coming election? What's the total so far?

I was not discussing "our" poor planning and execution, but specifically the actions of Obama and Clinton which helped bring ISIS to prominence. That is what Mr. Trump was referring to, and contrary to the baloney Clinton's acolytes are trying to peddle, he was right on the mark.

But to today he said he was being "sarcastic". Do you know what sarcastic means?

Stuart Stevens, who worked on the presidential campaigns of George W. Bush and Mitt Romney, makes an excellent point: The only metric on which Clinton and Trump are tied is on how much time each has until polls close. Trump's comment means that he's spent another 24 hours of fewer than 90 days until the election litigating a point that doesn't seem like it will do much to close the gap between him and his Democratic opponent.

We do know why he did it, though. It was very clear in the moment that he hammered the point at that rally because he enjoyed the reaction. Saying Obama created the Islamic State formed a nice little feedback loop of applause.

It wasn't sarcastic. It also wasn't satire. It was Trump wanting and getting attention, a process he has mastered. That doesn't make the statement true or insightful — and it doesn't seem to have done much to smooth his path to the presidency

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/08/12/donald-trump-has-an-airtight-sensible-excuse-for-why-he-said-president-obama-founded-isis/?wpisrc=nl_most-draw4&wpmm=1

How do you think all that plays with the swing voters? You know, the ones who will determine the popular vote winner?

Really hard to say....

If I was a gambling man, I'd likely say it turns more off than it attracts. However, I think there's a legitimate possibility that a similar effect may happen in the general that happened in the primary...that as more and more of these attacks occur, especially the ones that take things a bit too much at face value or harp on them a ton or react to them in an equally or more hyperbolic fashion than the statement itself that you'll begin to have people that actually begin to soften on Trump and rise to his defense for him getting what appears to be a raw deal.

I don't think it matters two ****s to the electoral college voters. In the past decades we've had, what? One faithless delegate when it comes to that? To me that's as useful and worth while of a question as asking "what will the Libertarians do if they win the election"

I'm not saying it's HELPFUL to Trump. I'm simply saying that all the harping on it as a seeming way to try and DECREASE his popularity largely misses the point as to why he's secured the base that he has (and contrary to ignorant analysis by those in the media who enjoy the smell of their own farts to much, no...his base is not made up exclusively of racists that like racist things)

Really hard to say....

I think it's pretty easy to say.

Swings voters have not forgotten his attacks on Megyn Kelly.
Swing voters won't forget his remarks and antics regarding the disabled reporter.
Swing voters won't forget this nonsense.
Swing voters are not going to forget the mountains of excrement he's leaving behind him every time he talks.

The actions and policies of Obama/Hillary were as crucial to the creation of ISIS as the policies and action of Washington/Franklin were to the creation if the US. (and Bush was out of office for years before ISIS existed so don't even come back with that).

Hillary put the the nations security at risk arguably worse that anyone ever has and now she running around lying about her lies. Yet the mainstream propaganda media will only wants to nitpick every syllable of something Trump even if it's technically true.

Dems cant improve Hillary's brand and they are not really even trying her negatives are permanent. All the can do diminish Trump.

I think it's pretty easy to say.

Swing voters won't forget his remarks and antics regarding the disabled reporter.
Swing voters won't forget this nonsense.
Swing voters are not going to forget the mountains of excrement he's leaving behind him every time he talks.

Swing voters should also not forget that Hillary but national security at risk worse than anyone ever has. Or that the most recent Wikileaks source was murdered. Or that she has been running around lying about lies (it's almost like she is to brain damaged to understand that audio/video exists).

Dragonfly, all of your examples come down to "Trump said something un-P.C." nothing else. That says it all.

Swing voters should also not forget that Hillary but national security at risk worse than anyone ever has. Or that the most recent Wikileaks source was murdered. Or that she has been running around lying about lies (it's almost like she is to brain damaged to understand that audio/video exists).

Dragonfly, all of your examples come down to "Trump said something un-P.C." nothing else. That says it all.

This thread is NOT about Clinton. It's about Trump. How f'n difficult is THAT to comprehend?

I think most "swing voters" likely don't know what the hell you're talking about if you mention either of those things. Most true swing voters...ie people who literally and honestly could go either way during either election cycle...are ones who rarely are actually plugged into the races during the primary season. By their nature, primaries garner the majority of their attention by people who are naturally inclined to lean in one party's direction or another. Individuals who are honestly so politically amorphous to be legitimate "swing" voters are almost certainly your types that are least likely to pay attention until the true main campaign between the two top candidates actually fully starts.

I'm not sure that the person you seem to be thinking about is an actual swing voters. I think you're speaking about this misguided notion of "Swing voters" while really meaning "person who calls themselves centrist, independent, or something similar but actually almost exclusively votes or leans democratic in every major election save for perhaps one token vote at some given point in time".

Most of the "swing voters" in this election are likely people who are just recently begun to pay attention, or are just going to begin to really pay attention around the time of the debates.

This thread is NOT about Clinton. It's about Trump. How f'n difficult is THAT to comprehend?

Doesn't seem to be working out that way.

In this political season anything about Trump is also about Hillary. You don't want to talk about Hillary because in any honest comparison she comes out 10 times worse. You could not have proven my point more. checkmate

I was not discussing "our" poor planning and execution, but specifically the actions of Obama and Clinton which helped bring ISIS to prominence. That is what Mr. Trump was referring to, and contrary to the baloney Clinton's acolytes are trying to peddle, he was right on the mark.

At the very least, he needs remedial English lessons.

If that was his point, his defense should have been "oh, I was just being stupidly hyperbolic about it." Instead he claimed he was being sarcastic. The only way to say "Obama literally founded ISIS" sarcastically is if it is said as a criticism of those who blame Obama for allowing ISIS to form.

Really hard to say....
His poll numbers are tanking in not just swing states like Ohio or Pennsylvania, but ones that ought to be solid, like Arizona and Georgia and Utah. Some polls have Georgia +8 for Clinton.

Georgia is in play.

Georgia.

There is still lots of time in this election, but it is increasingly obvious that his primary tactics are not working in the general election.

Conspiracy theorists are not swing voters.

Lesser of two evils is still evil.

While I won't vote for Hillary, I cannot vote for the Great Buffoon either. So Gary Johnson gets my vote. He's actually not a lesser of two evils, but an actual candidate with a tested platform and the only small government candidate out there.

shrug...

To each his own.

However, Johnson won't get anywhere whether I vote for him or if I vote for Trump. But if I vote for Johnson, it'll be that much easier for Hillary to win. No thanks.

I think most "swing voters" likely don't know what the hell you're talking about if you mention either of those things. Most true swing voters...ie people who literally and honestly could go either way during either election cycle...are ones who rarely are actually plugged into the races during the primary season. By their nature, primaries garner the majority of their attention by people who are naturally inclined to lean in one party's direction or another. Individuals who are honestly so politically amorphous to be legitimate "swing" voters are almost certainly your types that are least likely to pay attention until the true main campaign between the two top candidates actually fully starts.

I'm not sure that the person you seem to be thinking about is an actual swing voters. I think you're speaking about this misguided notion of "Swing voters" while really meaning "person who calls themselves centrist, independent, or something similar but actually almost exclusively votes or leans democratic in every major election save for perhaps one token vote at some given point in time".

Most of the "swing voters" in this election are likely people who are just recently begun to pay attention, or are just going to begin to really pay attention around the time of the debates.

When I hear the term "swing voter" I think of someone swinging in the breeze. That is the voter who is easily swayed by what they hear. I think most of them hear what is being pushed at them on the morning and evening news and that's where they'll get their influence.

Now, some of them might diligently investigate the candidates before they make up their minds, but most of them won't.

In this political season anything about Trump is also about Hillary. You don't want to talk about Hillary because in any honest comparison she comes out 10 times worse. You could not have proven my point more. checkmate

Keep telling yourself that.

Lol... Trump is now backpedaling on his backpedaling.

“So I said the founder of ISIS,” Trump recalled to the crowd, after accusing the president of being “so weak and so bad” that he allowed the Islamic State to grow. “Obviously I’m being sarcastic. Then — but not that sarcastic, to be honest with you.”...

“I love watching these poor, pathetic people (pundits) on television working so hard and so seriously to try and figure me out. They can't!”

Trump backs off his backpedal on Obama terror claim - POLITICO

Trump is obviously no longer running for President, he's just trolling the media.

I may finally start believing that this is a big conspiracy to get Clinton elected. :mrgreen:

Lol... Trump is now backpedaling on his backpedaling.

“So I said the founder of ISIS,” Trump recalled to the crowd, after accusing the president of being “so weak and so bad” that he allowed the Islamic State to grow. “Obviously I’m being sarcastic. Then — but not that sarcastic, to be honest with you.”...

“I love watching these poor, pathetic people (pundits) on television working so hard and so seriously to try and figure me out. They can't!”

Trump backs off his backpedal on Obama terror claim - POLITICO

Trump is obviously no longer running for President, he's just trolling the media.

I may finally start believing that this is a big conspiracy to get Clinton elected. :mrgreen:

Trump is like a 4 bladed fan that has lost a blade...oscillating into complete destruction. LOL

shrug...

To each his own.

However, Johnson won't get anywhere whether I vote for him or if I vote for Trump. But if I vote for Johnson, it'll be that much easier for Hillary to win. No thanks.

Interesting given this opinion

Oh, and just a heads up...I don't give a rat's ass about polls or forecasts. They are nothing but biased, slanted, numbers-cooked BS. That stuff is only useful for influencing the useful idiots and the low info citizens. The only poll that matters to me is on election day.

But whatever. I'm not making it "easier for Hillary to win", that's what Trump is doing.

Back
Top Bottom