• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Trump "Literally" this Stupid?

And then, his latest tweet:

Ratings challenged @CNN reports so seriously that I call President Obama (and Clinton) "the founder" of ISIS, & MVP. THEY DON'T GET SARCASM?
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) Aug. 12, 2016

The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia

Every time. The cowardly scumbag can't seem to stand by a single one of his stupid attacks for more than a few days. Or hours.

Perhaps he has difficulty understand the level of intelligence evident in many of his detractors.

You mean you repeat what you think is intelligent. You are simply manipulated by what opinion is deemed popular.

Re-type that in English please.

I stated this in another thread and it's relevant here. And it's exactly why threads like this and so many others completely miss the mark in terms of "attacking" Trump in any sort of way that isn't just a circlejerk amongst those who already dislike the man

Indeed, I think the reason why continual attempts to derail Trump by going "Look at these OUTRAGEOUS statements he makes!" is because it completely misses the point of part of his appeal. Part of his appeal, for his two main group of voters, is the fact he talks in very plain, straight forward, from the hip language instead of the carefully constructed and nuanced talk of politicians. And because of that, those that come to support him...and I imagine, many of those who simply aren't massively antagonistic to him even if they don't like him...are FAR less apt to be upset by those statements even if they don't agree with it or if they agree it sounded bad. Why? Because they're more apt to take the intention behind them than the literal words because they recognize that when you speak plainly and off the cuff, it's easier to say something that may not sound exactly right. That when you're not focus grouping and painstakingly putting together talking points, the margin of error to say something in a confusing way, in a tactless way, or in a inaccurate way is greater. So there's an ingrained extra level of "forgiveness" in vocal gaffes by him compared to other politicians.

But like so many things with Trump, the media has been EXTREMELY slow to catch onto trends and onto ways in which this election cycle, especially with him, does not conform to norms. So they continue to harp on things in the same fashion as they always do, and then become flabbergasted when it doesn't have the same effect as it previously would've.

Too often people take Trumps words and his statements, and even his follow up, and try to approach them either using typical political convention OR by simply using their bias to expect and only except the absolute worst case scenario.

Trump is not going to say he didn't mean exactly what he said, because he absolutely meant it. To those that can't stand the man, that means he LITERALLY felt that way. But that's not the only way to read "I meant exactly what I said". Another way to read that is that he "meant" it in a sarcastic/figurative sense, and so if you're asking him to clarify he's not going to do so, because to him there's nothing to clarify...he meant what he said, as he said it, and as HE understood HIMSELF to mean.

One of Trumps big things is not apologizing or correcting himself if he doesn't feel like what he did or meant wasn't worthy of apologizing or correcting himself. What that means is he's not going to apologize or correct himself based on what OTHER PEOPLE interpret or think or feel he said.

You know how some people will go "My apologies if I offended you, it wasn't my intent". Trump, by his general thought process, isn't going to do that, because if his intent wasn't to offend then he has no reason to apologize, because any offend taken was in error on the part of the person being offended. "It's a you problem" he'd probably say.

Same goes here. Hugh wanted to try to get him to go into more nuance, to explain specifically what he meant. Trump was having none of it. He said something, he knew what he meant by it, he liked the way it sounded, and he was going to stick with that rather than going into nuance. Which opens it up for legit criticism, but undoubtedly, but doesn't preclude it from being stated in a way other than the 100% most literalistic fashion possible.

Last edited:
Perhaps he has difficulty understand the level of intelligence evident in many of his detractors.

No need to make knee-jerk personal attacks on individuals who say things negative about Trump.

shrug...

If you can bring yourself to vote for "Crooked Hillary", I guess you would vote for anybody.

Myself...no way on earth Hillary will ever get a nod from me. If I didn't think Trump was the lesser of evils, I wouldn't vote.

Lesser of two evils is still evil.

While I won't vote for Hillary, I cannot vote for the Great Buffoon either. So Gary Johnson gets my vote. He's actually not a lesser of two evils, but an actual candidate with a tested platform and the only small government candidate out there.

Look, Trump has been doing this since day one. He has torpedoed every single primary challenger using this very same tactic. So far, it has been working.
It was working, until he became the nominee. Now that he has to appeal to a broader public, it's backfiring on him. He's already blown his convention lead, and is steadily driving off donors and elected officials.

I'm pretty sure most businesses aren't thrilled either. He's highly unpredictable, and few businesses look forward to a President who intentionally induces uncertainty.

Meanwhile, Clinton has largely stabilized her post-convention bump and party support -- and is deliberately keeping a low profile. Not only is she letting Trump blow up his own campaign, she's letting his tirades overshadow her own gaffes and email issues. While it's drawing attention away from policy prescriptions, most of the nation knows roughly what she's going to propose anyway, so it's really not much of a loss for her campaign.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." -Napoleon

I doubt I would have used Trump's words, but he is right about the role Clinton and Obama played in the emergence of ISIS. Like the campaign to bring the Muslim Brotherhood candidate Mohammed Morsi to power in Egypt, the private war Obama launched against Libya to oust Khadaffi was part of the "Arab Spring" nonsense he and Clinton cooked up. That war caused many portable anti-aircraft missiles, mostly Russian-made SA-7's, to be looted from Khadaffi's armories. Some of these then fell into the hands of various jihadist groups that swarmed across Libya, after Khaddafi was no longer there to provide a semblance of order.

There is sound evidence that the small group of Americans in Benghazi in the summer of 2012, probably both at the consulate and the compound about a mile away, was involved in a covert operation to round up these missiles. The second part of this operation was to send the ones they had bought up or otherwise bargained for, along with other arms and ammunition, through Turkey, to whatever groups fighting Assad's regime in Syria the CIA operatives sent to the area to analyze them had more or less guessed were not jihadists. But they often guessed wrong, and the result was that Obama ended up giving large amounts of weapons to jihadists in Syria--including ones who identify themselves as part of ISIS. And Mrs. Clinton, as his Secretary of State, worked closely with him on all of this. She could not resist crowing about ousting Khaddafi, lamely paraphrasing Julius Caesar: "We came; we saw; he died." It would be far better if Khaddafi, however repulsive he was, were still in power.

Last edited:
I stated this in another thread and it's relevant here. And it's exactly why threads like this and so many others completely miss the mark in terms of "attacking" Trump in any sort of way that isn't just a circlejerk amongst those who already dislike the man

Well stated. Along those lines, it is equally astonishing how manipulative the media has confirmed it is with their reporting.

For example, the following would be a fair example:

Trump: I love watching scenes of the 4th of July celebrations in cities across the US. The bombs bursting in air.....

Next Hours Headline: Trump claims he loves watching bombs bursting over American cities
.​

The confirmation of electioneering by the media this election cycle should be a concern to all voters, regardless of party affiliation, or preferred candidate.

That's quite a bit of forgiveness. When I speak off the cuff, I don't end up accusing people of literally founding terrorist groups.

I'm also not sure it is simple forgiveness. I think there is a genuine contempt for basic human decency; a sense that if the target is on the opposite political side, then the truth of accusations is irrelevant. Bear in mind, they spent several years accusing Obama of lying about being Christian and lying about his place of birth, with roughly 40% self-identified GOPers polled saying each, and another 20% being "unsure" about each. (And when pressed, the excuse is "well, Hillary's camp leaked the smear in the 2008 primaries," as if that excuses acting like the smear was true).

When Trump says something like claiming that Obama literally founded ISIS, it's not so much that he gets away with it because forgiveness for people who speak off the cuff. It's because the supporters (and base) just plain don't ****ing care anymore.

Any notice that the only Presidents that support Trump are Valdimir Putin and Kim Jong Un?

I doubt I would have used Trump's words, but he is right about the role Clinton and Obama played in the emergence of ISIS. The private war Obama launched against Libya to oust Khadaffi was part of the "Arab Spring" nonsense he and Clinton cooked up. That war caused thousands of portable anti-aircraft missiles, mostly Russian-made SA-7's, to be taken from Khadaffi's armories and fall into the hands of various jihadist groups.

There is sound evidence that the small group of Americans in Benghazi in the summer of 2012 was involved in a covert operation to round up these missiles. The second part of this operation was to send the ones they had bought up or otherwise bargained for, along with other arms and ammunition, through Turkey, to whatever groups fighting Assad's regime in Syria the CIA operatives sent to the area to analyze them had more or less guessed were not jihadists. But they often guessed wrong, and the result was that B. Hussein Obama ended up giving large amounts of weapons to jihadists in Syria--including ones who identify themselves as part of ISIS. And Mrs. Clinton, as Obama's Secretary of State, worked closely with him on all of this. She could not resist crowing about ousting Khaddafi, lamely paraphrasing Julius Caesar: "We came; we saw; he died."

The Bush-Obama war was never meant to have an end. And we cannot doubt the effect our poor planning and poorly executed military operations has led to the growth of terrorist organizations such as ISIS. It's called blowback. I believe y'all pitched a fit at Ron Paul for having stated as much when he was running in GOP primaries all those years ago.

I stated this in another thread and it's relevant here. And it's exactly why threads like this and so many others completely miss the mark in terms of "attacking" Trump in any sort of way that isn't just a circlejerk amongst those who already dislike the man...
What you're missing is that the target voter in the Republican primary is very different than the target voter in the general election.

We already know he isn't pissing off his loyal followers with these antics. He is playing up to a group of supporters that are for the most part already committed.

The problem is, there aren't anywhere near enough people in the US who want a President who flies off the handle twice daily, who mocks disabled people, who admire Putin, who lies constantly, and is erratic. That's why states like Arizona (!) and Georgia (!!!) are in play, and why Republicans are terrified he will wreck the down-ballot.

Trump is not going to say he didn't mean exactly what he said, because he absolutely meant it. To those that can't stand the man, that means he LITERALLY felt that way. But that's not the only way to read "I meant exactly what I said". Another way to read that is that he "meant" it in a sarcastic/figurative sense, and so if you're asking him to clarify he's not going to do so, because to him there's nothing to clarify...he meant what he said, as he said it, and as HE understood HIMSELF to mean.
Wednesday: "I meant that Obama founded ISIS. Literally."
Thursday: "I was being sarcastic!"

He *cough* literally contradicted what he was telling Hugh in the radio interview. He wasn't joking, he wasn't winking, it had nothing to do with nuance or language.

He was trolling.

I said you have been manipulated. Those are not your thoughts they have been programmed into you.

I don't you see much. Your responses get more and more inane.

Can't talk about one without the other.

Actually you can. And by "you" I mean the responsible reasonable posters here on this site.

The Bush-Obama war was never meant to have an end. And we cannot doubt the effect our poor planning and poorly executed military operations has led to the growth of terrorist organizations such as ISIS. It's called blowback. I believe y'all pitched a fit at Ron Paul for having stated as much when he was running in GOP primaries all those years ago.

I was not discussing "our" poor planning and execution, but specifically the actions of Obama and Clinton which helped bring ISIS to prominence. That is what Mr. Trump was referring to, and contrary to the baloney Clinton's acolytes are trying to peddle, he was right on the mark.

I was not discussing "our" poor planning and execution, but specifically the actions of Obama and Clinton which helped bring ISIS to prominence. That is what Mr. Trump was referring to, and contrary to the baloney Clinton's acolytes are trying to peddle, he was right on the mark.

It is "our", its our country and our politicians, we're in this together. And yes the actions of Bush and Obama did culminate in an environment that was ripe for terrorist organizations, such as ISIS, to come to power and make significant and sustained attacks.

Should have listened to Ron Paul when y'all had the chance.

Actually you can. And by "you" I mean the responsible reasonable posters here on this site.

Do you decide who those people are? I didn't think so. This is an important election to some of us responsible posters, and my comments are totally in bounds.

Hypocrites - where was the outrage when Hilary called Trump the sergeant of ISIS recruiting? Did she mean that literally? Give me a break.

Trump is intentionally throwing the election. There can't be any other explanation for his behavior. I said before Trump is stupid. Now I take that back. He isn't stupid. He's smart. He's manipulating his loyal supporters the way a puppeteer makes his puppets dance. Trump obviously wants Clinton to be President, which shouldn't surprise anyone given the fact that he wanted her to be President in 2008. He's managed to tap into the hatred, fear and anger of so many Americans in order to advance that agenda. He's also laughing like a hyena at the sheer number of people who are willing to run down the street naked at his command. I've never seen anything quite as depressing in my life. He's even now resorting to games like this latest one, while sitting back watching the clueless people flounder and embarrass themselves in their defense of the constant, daily, indefensible Trump words and actions.

unfortunately, this means we get Hillary Clinton as President.

Back
Top Bottom