• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Trump a Narcissist?

Is Trump a Narcissist?

• Yes.

Votes: 47 92.2%
  • No.

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters

Carjosse

Sit Nomine Digna
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Do you think Trump is a narcissist? I really believe he suffers from narcissistic personality disorder. According to the Mayo Clinic these are the criteria used for evaluating narcissism:

Having an exaggerated sense of self-importance
Expecting to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
Exaggerating your achievements and talents
Being preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
Believing that you are superior and can only be understood by or associate with equally special people
Requiring constant admiration
Having a sense of entitlement
Expecting special favors and unquestioning compliance with your expectations
Taking advantage of others to get what you want
Having an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
Being envious of others and believing others envy you
Behaving in an arrogant or haughty manner

Pretty much all of those things could be used to describe Trump. I do not believe someone that only ever considers his own personal interests above all else and is simply incapable of empathy or respect for others should not be a candidate for president.

Do you think Trump is a narcissist? I really believe he suffers from narcissistic personality disorder. According to the Mayo Clinic these are the criteria used for evaluating narcissism:

Pretty much all of those things could be used to describe Trump. I do not believe someone that only ever considers his own personal interests above all else and is simply incapable of empathy or respect for others should not be a candidate for president.

I don't care why. He has inflicted damage on the Republican party and now stands to inflict damage on the country. Donald Trump is unqualified to be President of the United States. Let him go do something else: Selling real estate comes to mind.

Of course he is . . . I imagine his attitude was the same before he was really wealthy.

Those things could be used to describe MOST very successful individuals...including the POTUS.

And how absolutely absurd to come to that conclusion based on media reports and fleeting glimpses of his behavior when he's "performing" in the public eye.

I'm waiting for reports that he's a serial killer. PM me when you come up with something.

I don't think any of us can analyze Trump's mental state. But I was quite surprised to read moderate conservative columnist David Brook's assessment in this regard this week:

"He cannot be contained because he is psychologically off the chain. With each passing week he displays the classic symptoms of medium-grade mania in more disturbing forms: inflated self-esteem, sleeplessness, impulsivity, aggression and a compulsion to offer advice on subjects he knows nothing about.

His speech patterns are like something straight out of a psychiatric textbook. Manics display something called “flight of ideas.” It’s a formal thought disorder in which ideas tumble forth through a disordered chain of associations. One word sparks another, which sparks another, and they’re off to the races. As one trained psychiatrist said to me, compare Donald Trump’s speaking patterns to a Robin Williams monologue, but with insults instead of jokes."

More at: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/05/o...s-will-finally-have-to-take-a-stand.html?_r=0

I don't care why. He has inflicted damage on the Republican party and now stands to inflict damage on the country. Donald Trump is unqualified to be President of the United States. Let him go do something else: Selling real estate comes to mind.

The Republican parties inflicted damage on themselves by embracing non-Constitutional doctrines in their platform.

Narcissist, Pathological Liar, and most likely a Sociopath.

Yes. But I don't think that is his worst quality. I think most people who run for President are at least a little narcissistic.

Wonder if there has ever been a president that was not a narcissist.

I don't think any of us can analyze Trump's mental state. But I was quite surprised to read moderate conservative columnist David Brook's assessment in this regard this week:

"He cannot be contained because he is psychologically off the chain. With each passing week he displays the classic symptoms of medium-grade mania in more disturbing forms: inflated self-esteem, sleeplessness, impulsivity, aggression and a compulsion to offer advice on subjects he knows nothing about.

His speech patterns are like something straight out of a psychiatric textbook. Manics display something called “flight of ideas.” It’s a formal thought disorder in which ideas tumble forth through a disordered chain of associations. One word sparks another, which sparks another, and they’re off to the races. As one trained psychiatrist said to me, compare Donald Trump’s speaking patterns to a Robin Williams monologue, but with insults instead of jokes."

More at: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/05/o...s-will-finally-have-to-take-a-stand.html?_r=0
And let's not forget Williams often performed on coke ...

Yes, he's absolutely a narcissist, and that's the least negative thing about him.

Wonder if there has ever been a president that was not a narcissist.

Most people exhibit one or two of those traits, most politicians a few of them, but that does not make you a narcissist, what does is possessing a lot of those traits which Trump most certainly does.

Yes. But I don't think that is his worst quality. I think most people who run for President are at least a little narcissistic.

A little but Trump is incredibly narcissistic, more than just your average politician or president.

Are you suggesting an upper age limit for presidents?
Think of how many that would have disqualified...

Not necessarily. There definitely needs to be some form of mandatory psychiatric evaluation for all regardless of age, however.

Again, Trump is an impulsive sociopath juxtaposed with a calculating psychopath (Clinton).

They forgot to include "Having a fear that others can see that one's hands are smaller than normal".

Most people exhibit one or two of those traits, most politicians a few of them, but that does not make you a narcissist, what does is possessing a lot of those traits which Trump most certainly does.

Not sure I agree regarding other presidents. Have always felt it was a necessary trait for anyone taking on the job.

You should ask the same question about Clinton. She fits the bill as well.

Yes I would say he is a narcissist, and a pathological liar which are often symptoms of several mental disorders. He seems to have no control over his lying. Just take the last six days as an example.

1. He tells a group at a rally he saved Ted Cruz's life at the convention and proceeded to tell such a fantasy account of what happened.
2. He publically said that Paul Ryan asked for his endorsement in which Trump said he wasn't ready to give. This caused the Ryan team to issue a response at no time did Ryan or any of his staff ask Trump for his endorsement. Ryan didn't need Trump's or anyone else's endorsement because he is poised to win his primary.
3. Trump started complaining about the debate schedule being up against the NFL. He said publically he received a letter from the NFL complaining as well. The NFL responded and said they did not send Trump a letter.
4. Trump claimed he watched a video of the exchange of money to the Iranians for hostages. For two days kept calling it top secret. This had reporters puzzled because there is no such footage and wanted to know is Trump had started to receive security briefings? Neither Trump or Clinton have started receiving briefings. Later he changed his story and said the coverage he saw was shown on TV and was the Geneva tape.

And that's just the past few days.

Is the Pope Catholic?

Oh absolutely, that comes form always having enough money that he doesn't have to hear people say "no" to him.

Back
Top Bottom