• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is this why Congress can't get anything done?

I would love to be a member of congress, low working hours, massive benefits, retirement, oh and never actually having to do my job but being nearly impossible to be fired, and easy re elections because no matter how much everyone hates congress, they always think it is everyone elses congressmen not theirs that are the problem.

I could deal with that, but I'd hate having to spend hours every day begging for money.

Great idea.
Who is going to pass this law, again?

Well certainly not the permanent political class that we have in Washington now. But you never know. We are seeing a mini revolution in the Presidential election this year and maybe people really are mad enough and fed up enough to do something about it.

Well certainly not the permanent political class that we have in Washington now. But you never know. We are seeing a mini revolution in the Presidential election this year and maybe people really are mad enough and fed up enough to do something about it.

People are fed up, for sure, but they're being conned. What we really need is a revolution in which we vote out the incumbents in Congress and start over. After that, maybe we can come up with a presidential candidate who is real.

Congress spending most of its time soliciting donations in order for the large donors to curry favor is certainly a right wing value, on that we can agree.

Speak for yourself. I don't know what a "right wing value" is, but as a conservative who respects the Constitution, I do not value what you describe at all. I would like to see states limit the terms of the people they send to Congress, and I would like those people not to spend so much of each year in Congress. Let them stay home more.

Speak for yourself. I don't know what a "right wing value" is, but as a conservative who respects the Constitution, I do not value what you describe at all. I would like to see states limit the terms of the people they send to Congress, and I would like those people not to spend so much of each year in Congress. Let them stay home more.

Well, you did post:

Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
Most of us conservatives don't want Congress to get anything more than the bare necessities done--let the states do the rest. We know the Constitution deliberately designs a lot of friction into the federal government, so that the default situation is rivalry and deadlock, and movement, in domestic affairs at least, can occur only when there is fairly strong popular consensus. We see the beauty in that design; but leftists, because they have a fundamentally un-American taste for totalitarian rule, despise it

to my post about how much time they spend soliciting donations. From that, I concluded that you think it's better for them to be soliciting donations than actually passing legislation.

Now, if they were to be part time legislators and not have to solicit donations at all, that really might be a good thing. They'd not only be less inclined to stay in power at any cost, they also wouldn't be up for sale.

[h=1]Are members of Congress becoming telemarketers?[/h]

If they're spending 30 hours a week "dialing for dollars" to make their goal of 18 grand a day for reelection, who is minding the store?

And you have to spend hours every day dialing up people and begging for money? Who would even want to be elected to Congress?

I believe Boehner's obstructionism is why they have not gotten anything done in the past 6 years.

I believe Boehner's obstructionism is why they have not gotten anything done in the past 6 years.

And Harry Reid had nothing to do with it, nor has partisan gamesmanship. The Republican Party's stated goal of making Obama a one term president, and their refusal to even consider any SCOTUS nominee, regardless of who it was didn't help.

Damn

You had me until the last sentence, some good ideas, leaving the States to there own devices. Describing that those who may see to the left of your political leanings with hyperbole, detracts from the intelligence in the post. Just saying is all.

I meant every word of what I wrote. Leftists have a fundamentally un-American taste for totalitarian rule. They want the very sort of strongly centralized government the men who founded this country saw as a threat to individual freedoms, and so carefully designed the Constitution to prevent.

Back
Top Bottom