• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is This The End? Trump Suborned Perjury With Michael Cohen's Testimony to Congress

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/jasonleopold/trump-russia-cohen-moscow-tower-mueller-investigation

Reporting done by renowned investigative journalist Jason Leopold informs us that Donald Trump personally instructed Cohen to lie to Congress. And this is not just a he said-he said situation. There is corroborating evidence that the SCO possesses that back up and confirm this to be the case. Trump sought to have Cohen suborn perjury in order to obscure his involvement with Russia.

According to Bill Barr, who will likely be the next AG, any effort by a President to suborn perjury is absolutely Obstruction of Justice, as stated in his confirmation hearing.

This is bad. Really, really bad for Trump and his children. It appears as if not only Trump Sr. has committed a High Crime and broken the oath of office, but his adult children are also in serious legal jeopardy as well.

So to all of you Trump supporters, do you care that Trump obstructed justice and ordered his personal attorney to lie to Congress? Is it starting to sink in yet just how much trouble Trump is in? Or how corrupt this man truly is to his core?

And on the heels of this report, the Democratic-led House via the Intelligence Committee and the Judiciary Committee are both launching investigations into this aspect of these revelations. With Mr. Cohen set to publicly testify February 7th, the stakes are as high as ever now for the Criminal-in-Chief.

If there is some kind of trail that Mueller's investigators can follow that supports Trump directed Cohen to lie then it might be significant. Otherwise it is just he said, he said. Giuliani says Trump doesn't remember when negotiations on the Moscow tower ended.

I said it wouldn't stand from Cohen's comments ALONE. Of course if there are other sources, that may play into it. However, if those sources prove to be like Cohen where they lied at one point and time those comments won't mean squat for an obstruction charge.

lol...well, then that means you already know Trump is guilty. You know because he lies all the time.

IMHO, it's both - the cover up must be of a crime (not the only crime).

Not true. If Trump directed Cohen to lie to congress, even about something legal, that is still obstruction on Trump's part.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/jasonleopold/trump-russia-cohen-moscow-tower-mueller-investigation

Reporting done by renowned investigative journalist Jason Leopold informs us that Donald Trump personally instructed Cohen to lie to Congress.

It is also remarkable to note that this is not a WaPo or NYT headline, it is...BUZZFEED.

BUZZFEED???

Are the major newspapers so terrified of this "Individual 1" that they no longer have the courage to supply Americans with the facts that they need to make informed decisions about their elected leaders?

So, the exalted mainstream media giants bend over backwards to pretend that there is some sort of "equal" weight to paid trolling and weaponized Trump denialism. They hold back, and tread lightly while a tiny online publication forges ahead.

I think we've just witnessed that infamous "jump the shark" moment for our formerly "established" major media empire.

Very true. But that hypocrisy would be used as a cudgel to beat them over the heads with for years to come.

Likely not, hypocrisy abounds on both sides of the isle and it's not often used against them. Mostly because those accusations can fly both way.

That is not true in the eyes of our legal statutes though. I do understand your take however. But legally speaking, obstruction of justice does not have to be in respect to covering up a crime.

See Bill Clinton and his obstruction of justice (perjury) as an example. There was no crime with Monica. Yet plenty of Republicans voted to convict him for obstruction of justice in the Senate, and rightfully so in my opinion.

Reporting done by renowned investigative journalist Jason Leopold informs us that Donald Trump personally instructed Cohen to lie to Congress. And this is not just a he said-he said situation. There is corroborating evidence that the SCO possesses that back up and confirm this to be the case. Trump sought to have Cohen suborn perjury in order to obscure his involvement with Russia.

According to Bill Barr, who will likely be the next AG, any effort by a President to suborn perjury is absolutely Obstruction of Justice, as stated in his confirmation hearing.

This is bad. Really, really bad for Trump and his children. It appears as if not only Trump Sr. has committed a High Crime and broken the oath of office, but his adult children are also in serious legal jeopardy as well.

So to all of you Trump supporters, do you care that Trump obstructed justice and ordered his personal attorney to lie to Congress? Is it starting to sink in yet just how much trouble Trump is in? Or how corrupt this man truly is to his core?

And on the heels of this report, the Democratic-led House via the Intelligence Committee and the Judiciary Committee are both launching investigations into this aspect of these revelations. With Mr. Cohen set to publicly testify February 7th, the stakes are as high as ever now for the Criminal-in-Chief.

I think that it needs to get worse than this before it is over.

Where did you get the idea that your opinion was a factor?

I said it wouldn't stand from Cohen's comments ALONE. Of course if there are other sources, that may play into it. However, if those sources prove to be like Cohen where they lied at one point and time those comments won't mean squat for an obstruction charge.

That’s not entirely accurate either from a legal standpoint. People who have lied in the past are used all of the time by Prosecutors, and successfully secure convictions, using their testimony. Quantity, consistency, and a myriad of other factors play a role.

If the courts only allowed people to testify who had never told a lie in their life, we would never have testimony from anyone, ever.

It is the end for me, but I've been getting there for a while.

Up to recently, I've been cautiously laying in the "wait for the report" category. But as of late, I've given up. I'm throwing in the towel. Trump and his situation and problems, en total, are just too large and numerous for me to deal with any more. Besides all these things we've seen these past two years, I see continuous public obstruction (of justice) along with constant attacks on our democratic institutions, not the least of which are the attacks on our law enforcement.

I now believe impeachment is the only solution. Trump is incorrigible. I now support the Dem's move to impeach Trump, even though they may suffer negative political implications (or not!). There's just times you've got to do what's right, and to me it's now looking like impeachment is becoming the right thing to do.

I blame this problem not just on Trump, but on the Republican party. Trump could possibly be reigned-in by Congressional legislation and other actions. Unfortunately we'll never know if it will work, since the Republicans won't try it, which leaves only the drastic (but right now likely to fail) step of having to resort to impeachment.

Last edited:
The claim is that Trump directed Cohen to lie to Congress after he was already President, when Cohen gave testimony to Congress. A crime Cohen already plead guilty to. And if true, a crime Trump would also be guilty of according to the statutes.

And if Impeached and the Senate does not convictt they relinquish any authority they have by condoning lying to the house and Senate under oath...

If there is some kind of trail that Mueller's investigators can follow that supports Trump directed Cohen to lie then it might be significant. Otherwise it is just he said, he said. Giuliani says Trump doesn't remember when negotiations on the Moscow tower ended.

Giuliani is an idiot. And Trump is even more of an idiot. But you’re right, it can’t just be Cohen’s word here. According to the reporting it is much more than Cohen’s word. His acknowledgment of this to the SCO was only after it was learned from other witnesses at the Trump Organization, with corroborated documents to support the claim.

The damn that is the support in the Senate and Congress for Trump is beginning to crack.

It is clear now that Trump's days are numbered, and that number is far shorter than two years

That is not true in the eyes of our legal statutes though. I do understand your take however. But legally speaking, obstruction of justice does not have to be in respect to covering up a crime.

See Bill Clinton and his obstruction of justice (perjury) as an example. There was no crime with Monica. Yet plenty of Republicans voted to convict him for obstruction of justice in the Senate, and rightfully so in my opinion.

None of the 45 demorats in the Senate voted to convict Clinton for that (very similar?) crime - I suspect a similar outcome if the only charge is lying or obstruction.

All fair points. I have never personally believed Impeachment was a realistic possibility. And 2020 would be the opportunity to remove this stain from our collective memories. But things are changing potentially. If the trajectory continues to get worse and worse for Trump, at some point the GOP will evaluate its Congressional electoral chances for 2020 and may have no choice but to cut bait. If they see Trump, even with his vocal minority base, as more of an albatross than a boon, all bets may be off.

If I were weighing out possibilities I would actually put more weight to Trump cutting a deal close to the end of his term that grants him immunity, not from all prosecution but that spans the period up to 2020 for him and his kids for resigning from office over Impeach and Remove possibilities.

If he does not cut a deal, he and his kids are going to spend the rest of their lives fighting off criminal prosecutions and likely losing a good many of them. Even Statute of Limitations won't save them from that fate unless Donald cuts a deal.

It is also remarkable to note that this is not a WaPo or NYT headline, it is...BUZZFEED.

BUZZFEED???

Are the major newspapers so terrified of this "Individual 1" that they no longer have the courage to supply Americans with the facts that they need to make informed decisions about their elected leaders?

So, the exalted mainstream media giants bend over backwards to pretend that there is some sort of "equal" weight to paid trolling and weaponized Trump denialism. They hold back, and tread lightly while a tiny online publication forges ahead.

I think we've just witnessed that infamous "jump the shark" moment for our formerly "established" major media empire.

Maybe. But it could also be that Jason Leopold and Anthony Cormier (the latter being a Pulitzer Prize Winner for Investigative Journalism) have the sources and inside scoop here that have been developed uniquely to this reporting.

But the major publications have been garbage in their reporting on Trump. I’ll agree there. Just as they were garbage in their reporting on the lead up to the Iraq war and WMD’s. And not because of inaccurate reporting. But by equivocating and allowing the administration to offer a counter narrative to their report, when we all know it’s a lie. It’s cowardly.

If the alleged business relationship was legal and occurred during the campaign then how does that indicate Trump had violated his oath of office? I doubt that perjury (even if presented as obstruction of justice) alone will be the magic crime which gets a sitting POTUS impeached by the House and convicted by the Senate. Of course, only time will tell what Mueller comes up with, but if that (lying about a business deal being discussed during the campaign) is the most serious offense found I can't see it resulting in removal of Trump from office.

Suborning perjury is obstruction of justice and is an impeachable and indictable offense and it was one of the items in both the Nixon and Clinton articles of impeachment.

Rest assured that in the Articles of impeachment against Trump there will be more than this I'm quite certain the Mueller report will be vast and evidence-based.

Likely not, hypocrisy abounds on both sides of the isle and it's not often used against them. Mostly because those accusations can fly both way.

Meh. This is a different level though. We’re talking about hypocrisy at the highest level of importance to the nation.

lol...well, then that means you already know Trump is guilty. You know because he lies all the time.

Well to be fair according to the law, just because one lies does not mean one is guilty for every crime that comes up.

Where did you get the idea that your opinion was a factor?

From the result of the Clinton impeachment conviction vote - not one of the 45 Senate demorats voted to convict based on extremely clear evidence of lying/obstruction. IMHO, that was because what was being (unsuccessfully) covered up (consensual sex?) was not a crime.

I think that it needs to get worse than this before it is over.

Unfortunately you are probably right. The tentacles of rightwing entertainment/media are long and the propaganda they use to keep their faithful in fear is powerful at keeping large swaths of the country uninformed.

Back
Top Bottom