• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is this site really doing anything productive?

I generally find the Debate Politics Forum to be:

• A forum that promotes and encourages meaningful dialogue.

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • A forum that is not conducive to meaningful dialogue.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I am undecided at this time.

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Saboteur

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
We're all here anonymously flaming each other. But to what end no one is going to change their opinion here and we're not doing anything for the benefit of anyone other than ourselves. On top of that, the benefit we get is more stress, well I do anyway.

On the other hand could there be some politicians here watching and could it be possible that they could leave the name calling to us and get down to business?

I mean this is immature. But when it happens in the Houses it's really immature and it really makes us all look bad.

Should we write to our representatives and tell them to grow up and do their job? Tell Bill Frist and Harry Reid to just do some honest work for once? I mean c'mon these guys are getting paid waaaaay to much to be acting like 3rd graders trying to control the playground.

I think it depends on who your debating with. Some people here are just people who hang on every single word that Rush Limbaugh or some politician tells them and they end up just being a spokesperson or an advertisment but many a time you actually will see a real debate. and it can be productive if you can learn from it.

Saboteur said:
We're all here anonymously flaming each other. But to what end no one is going to change their opinion here and we're not doing anything for the benefit of anyone other than ourselves. On top of that, the benefit we get is more stress, well I do anyway.

On the other hand could there be some politicians here watching and could it be possible that they could leave the name calling to us and get down to business?

I mean this is immature. But when it happens in the Houses it's really immature and it really makes us all look bad.

Should we write to our representatives and tell them to grow up and do their job? Tell Bill Frist and Harry Reid to just do some honest work for once? I mean c'mon these guys are getting paid waaaaay to much to be acting like 3rd graders trying to control the playground.
Myself, I am trying to explore what my views are in various political issues...by debating on this site I can see the weak points of my arguments and the strengths of other arguments, and see which argument is stronger, or jump to a different, better one.

But that's just me.

Generally, I am here for me, and hope to offer a fiant glimmer of illumination to those who read my posts. There is no better way to gain clarity with one's own ideas, than to express them to others.

Besides, I like my ideas challenged from time to time, it helps me realize how often I am correct. As far as flaming goes Sabo, I think (and this is not a flame) that you invite and promote it, so of course that's what you get in return. I've really only been flamed by one person, and the goofball messed that up even...

Tone comes across in writing, and tone affects responses.

I'm here to keep from going into work with an uzi and laying waste to all those idiots. LOL! I certainly don't feel any stress from this forum. Words are just words...there's no one that could say a thing to me that would get me upset.

If you find yourself getting upset by someone's attack, it's time to take a break from the internet and live in the real world once again.

Besides...there are a small handful of people in here that write concise meaningful posts. Posts that anyone can learn from...regardless of your political persuasion.

Vanity of vanity. All is vanity.

For any given thread, there are more lurkers than posters. They are the audience that's more likely to be responsive than the participants.

Plus, there actually are instances where data which were previously unkown are presented.

But, yeah, there are a lot of ****ing contests.

Saboteur said:
I personally disagree with your premise. I have learned much since joining Debate Politics, and have in fact modified some of my viewpoints. I am quite certain that I am not alone in this. Give it some time... explore topics that are alien to you. If you feel strongly about an issue, create a thread and defend your thesis with empirical evidence and logic. If you want to relieve any stress visit the Basement & Flame-On, as it has no theme or agenda and is not moderated.

Flaming is not allowed at DP and you can PM a Moderator to intervene if we do not catch it ourselves. You can also report any offensive posts by clicking the red and white triangle in the bottom left-hand corner of each individual post.

If you have ideas on how to improve Debate Poitics, your thoughts are always welcomed in the General Announcements, Suggestions, and Feedback catagory. There are many bright and interesting people here at DP, and I encourage you to share and engage with as many as possible.

Yep, Tashah is not the only one who'se views have changed thanks to posters in DP. I'm most thankful for all the links to news stories that I wouldn't otherwise know about. If you have an open mind and a truth-seeking heart, there is a lot to learn here.

I dont know how its affecting the rest of the world but I am learning something here and my viewpoints have altered somewhat over time.

Was there supposed to be a poll with this?

I think the productivity is attributed by the ability to have an outlet to publicily voice your concerns and opinions with an amiable amount of discretion. There are times when things do get out of hand here and there will always be trolls and aggressors. I think we all must remember that we are not hear to save the world nor compell others to abide by our particular beliefs.... but perhaps only to express our personal opinions and offer constructive criticism to one another. In this aspect it CAN be a very productive venue in regards to intellectual growth and the understanding of politics.

However, that is just my opinion and I am thankful to have a place to state it where someone might actuallly LISTEN. ;)

I love this site! I have posted on mutliple political boards but left them for various reason. On ABC, people are there just to inflame each other, and no one is having a true exchange. It's just a bunch of angry people. usmessageboard.com is full of conservatives--not that there is anything wrong with that, but they would all gang up on me and call me names. They have a smilie where the character is giving you the finger. I got that from them all the time. No matter what I said, they all belittled me. Democrats/liberals are almost non-existent there.

Here, while we inflame each other at times, I do get a different perspective on various issues from both liberals and conservatives. I feel more informed now than I did prior to joining this board. I also think that the people here are very reasonable and intelligent. I have made many cyber friends from both sides of the aisle. I love it here.

aps said:
I love this site! I have posted on mutliple political boards but left them for various reason. On ABC, people are there just to inflame each other, and no one is having a true exchange. It's just a bunch of angry people. usmessageboard.com is full of conservatives--not that there is anything wrong with that, but they would all gang up on me and call me names. They have a smilie where the character is giving you the finger. I got that from them all the time. No matter what I said, they all belittled me. Democrats/liberals are almost non-existent there.

Here, while we inflame each other at times, I do get a different perspective on various issues from both liberals and conservatives. I feel more informed now than I did prior to joining this board. I also think that the people here are very reasonable and intelligent. I have made many cyber friends from both sides of the aisle. I love it here.
And the redheaded Mod is a stud!...

:2wave:

I used this site to gain perspective into how people think, and how the politics of this country guides them. Every post helps me to do so, but I must admit the Flame wars are frustrating....and in my opinion counter-productive. This is why I pretty much dont post anymore....though I do visit once a week or so to read and learn.

tecoyah said:
I used this site to gain perspective into how people think, and how the politics of this country guides them. Every post helps me to do so, but I must admit the Flame wars are frustrating....and in my opinion counter-productive. This is why I pretty much dont post anymore....though I do visit once a week or so to read and learn.

tecoyah, the way I see it, I kinda like the flame wars, mainly because I don't like having them with my family (all my siblings are Bush supporters) or co-workers. It's easier to have flame wars with strangers on a message board, well, for me it is. Post more!

For the benefit of members, visitors, and the forum administrators, I have added a Poll to this thread.

All DP members are encouraged to vote and post your thoughts on this topic.

I had to vote ...undecided....might I suggest another option in the poll?

* Debate Politics is similar to other politics forums, But I want it to be better than the rest.

Thanks tecoyah :2wave: . I had indeed considered that option also... but I feel a straight up / down / neutral selection-choice would offer a more honest and concise barometer of the dialogue-ambiance here at DP. In conjunction with this rather blunt poll, posted member comment will serve to greatly assist the forum administration in its continuing efforts to improve the ambiance, versatility, and panorama of the Debate Politics Forum.

Last edited:
the board i frequented b4 finding this one actually changed one of my opinions

I was staunchly pro-death penalty
until some one posted an article on how much more a death penalty case costs in comparison to non -death penalty cases

besides, if there is no hell, maybe they should rot and suffer in prison for life, instead of the quick out

Good points everyone! Thank you for your interest and responses. I will take the advice and insight to heart.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
FinnMacCool said:
I think it depends on who your debating with. Some people here are just people who hang on every single word that Rush Limbaugh or some politician tells them and they end up just being a spokesperson or an advertisment but many a time you actually will see a real debate. and it can be productive if you can learn from it.

Your comment in particular is why I started this thread. I have been dealing with some folks here who have their political dogma down word for word. I am amazed at how organized they are and how they can all say the same thing. Makes me think Ann Coulter has a book club.

many here, especially the conservatives and the ones with the gavel are brickheaded and debating with them is pretty useless.
i love to debate but when you're doing so with someone is ignorant and not even trying to change their position or really listen, it's a waste.
i'm here because i'm bored.

Archon said:
I think the productivity is attributed by the ability to have an outlet to publicily voice your concerns and opinions with an amiable amount of discretion. There are times when things do get out of hand here and there will always be trolls and aggressors. I think we all must remember that we are not hear to save the world nor compell others to abide by our particular beliefs.... but perhaps only to express our personal opinions and offer constructive criticism to one another. In this aspect it CAN be a very productive venue in regards to intellectual growth and the understanding of politics.

However, that is just my opinion and I am thankful to have a place to state it where someone might actuallly LISTEN. ;)

I have enjoyed the Banter and the BS. I am a liberal democrat, and I strongly oppose the unAmerican activity of the Neo conservative. The CiA should be setting up secret prisons for NeoCons. We need to get back to American Values and not be afraid of stating our opinions. I know that Neo Cons can not be saved, and that they will go to that special hell that God as created for them. lol :eek: :eek:

Saboteur said:

I found this site about two months ago, and had never communicated in any similar forum. I am hooked on this place. I disagree with you on a couple of things. I have changed my opinion on a few (non-profound) things as a result of talking with the diverse people here. As one learns, his opinions are likely to change. Some of the posters are very well informed, others have such a strong opinion on some issues that they can discuss them in compelling ways. Course there are quite a few who only want to inflame, like you say, and some who are here just to stroke their egos.

I get mad because of some of the posts, but another reason I like to argue here is I can allow myself time to calm down before responding. I'm not real good at debating in person, sometimes the anger at someone's comment takes over, so talking this way usually helps me stay reasonable and on-message.

Also, there is a benefit. Expressing yourself is necessary and healthy. And here, there are many who will see your posts, and you're going to hear from folks who agree with you, disagree, don't understand you, like your attitude, feel your anger, some who will damn you to Hell. Even the name-callers have a positive function, to me, as some of the most negative responses can be the most fun to respond to, and I like the challenge of causing somebody to curse me when I'm being civil.

Saboteur said:
Good points everyone! Thank you for your interest and responses. I will take the advice and insight to heart.

Thanks again!

Wow! Only 18 posts and you already feel the love. That was too easy.

Unfair said:
many here, especially the conservatives and the ones with the gavel are brickheaded and debating with them is pretty useless.
i love to debate but when you're doing so with someone is ignorant and not even trying to change their position or really listen, it's a waste.
i'm here because i'm bored.

maybe if you were not so obtuse you would see the other side
you have been here a nano-second and condemn many hear
either give the site some time, or take it deep and go elsewhere

Back
Top Bottom