• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is this our future..?

My generation has Piers Morgan and we survived. :mrgreen:

Seriously, every generation of human beings since the beginning of time will have has it's fair share of poorly educated, naive, self-centred idiots and every generation survives pretty much as well as the last. So one girl is shown to be not very smart (in an environment set up to demonstrate the fact for your entertainment, I'm sure). That doesn't say any more about her generation than it does about ours.

Why would you pay a whit's worth of attention to what this woman says? As the state's star witness, she obviously failed miserably, because one of the jurors interviewed said no one in the jury room found her credible.

My objective here was not to necessarily point out the misgivings of this one person, but to ask if this is indicative of where the next generation is going?

Why would you pay a whit's worth of attention to what this woman says? As the state's star witness, she obviously failed miserably, because one of the jurors interviewed said no one in the jury room found her credible.

I've not watched the Anderson Cooper interview, so I didn't know that. Interesting. I wondered how they viewed her - if she was viewed the way the rest of us saw her. Funny that so many people in the media said she was a BIG help to the prosecution, propping her up like she was something wonderful. :roll:

Honey boo boo found her voice.

Question is, did she learn how to read yet?

Can we survive as a civilized culture? If this is what we have to look forward to, as the next generation.... then God help us.

Jeantel: "The Jury, They Old. That's Old School People. We In A New School, Our Generation" | RealClearPolitics

It's not all the next generation. It's some of the next generation which is my generation. Putting us all in the same bucket won't make you look better buddy.

The faults we see today in society, for those of my generation that end up failures, it's not our fault completely YET. It's the fault of the older generation, the generation that raised us.
We inherit this world from you. Only once we start being in our 20s do we start making an impact in this world. Before that, we just live in what we got handed down.

So when my generation will be in our 40s and 50s then you can start blaming us for the generation that will be then in their early 20s and for what the world has become.

It occurs to me that more so now than in the past, we are evolving into multiple cultures where education and literacy are not valued as they were before. Our inner cities are seeing increasing control (or lack thereof) by street gangs. We had gangs 50 yrs ago, but they were isolated with minimal impact. It seems today they have morphed into cultures and communities that foster illiteracy. Have they become the norm? Hence my OP for discussion.

I'm tired of hearing people say that English is her second or third language and that's why she can't speak correctly. Seriously, people.

It's not all the next generation. It's some of the next generation which is my generation. Putting us all in the same bucket won't make you look better buddy.

The faults we see today in society, for those of my generation that end up failures, it's not our fault completely YET. It's the fault of the older generation, the generation that raised us.
We inherit this world from you. Only once we start being in our 20s do we start making an impact in this world. Before that, we just live in what we got handed down.

So when my generation will be in our 40s and 50s then you can start blaming us for the generation that will be then in their early 20s and for what the world has become.

It was not my intention to paint the entire generation with a broad brush.... buddy. Good people of every generation look to improve our society. They do not always succeed. I never blamed my father for what happened in my life.

It was not my intention to paint the entire generation with a broad brush.... buddy. Good people of every generation look to improve our society. They do not always succeed. I never blamed my father for what happened in my life.
I used to. Then I grew up.

I don't blame my parents either and they don't blame their parents.

But it seemed to me that you wanted to start a generational war debate. And if you do that, you will find that I can say a lot more **** about your generation (assuming you're in the 40s, 50s) crowd that you can say about mine, because anything we have inherited, the good and the bad, are because of your generation. Your generation built the world we were raised in and the world we start our lives in.

And when we're in our 40s and 50s, we'll be to blame for all the bad stuff the young adults who start their lives in their 20s inherit and also responsible for all the good things they inherit.

So let's not have generation war and let's be more specific in who we target in our belittling accusations, because it's a fruitless waste of our time (generation war) which we can spend debating better stuff.

I don't blame my parents either and they don't blame their parents.

But it seemed to me that you wanted to start a generational war debate. And if you do that, you will find that I can say a lot more **** about your generation (assuming you're in the 40s, 50s) crowd that you can say about mine, because anything we have inherited, the good and the bad, are because of your generation. Your generation built the world we were raised in and the world we start our lives in.

And when we're in our 40s and 50s, we'll be to blame for all the bad stuff the young adults who start their lives in their 20s inherit and also responsible for all the good things they inherit.

So let's not have generation war and let's be more specific in who we target in our belittling accusations, because it's a fruitless waste of our time (generation war) which we can spend debating better stuff.

I provoke not a generational war, but rather to discuss the educational effectiveness of our schools, the role parents must play and where we go from here. For all you know about me, I could be in my 20's.

I pray my sons do the same... grow up I mean.

Everyone grows up eventually. Of course, I'm in my 40s and I know people my age who still act like imbeciles... I would hope they'd figure out before they die.

I provoke not a generational war, but rather to discuss the educational effectiveness of our schools, the role parents must play and where we go from here. For all you know about me, I could be in my 20's.

Yes, that is true, I don't know you're age, that's why I said, assuming you're in your 40s or 50s or older.

And the education we have today... again, inherited by the people who built the system. Who built it? The children who are going through the school system or those who went through it... got jobs, got married, voted multiple times, lived, and had children who are going through the educational system that was made on their watch. I think the grownups who didn't protest the new stupid educational laws. Who didn't pay attention to what was going on. Who let things drift away not seeing the future consequences.

Who is responsible for the fact that a lot of families end in divorce or that children are raised by single parents? The child's fault or his parents? The parents.

Who is responsible for the fact that a lot of families end in divorce or that children are raised by single parents? The child's fault or his parents? The parents.

I agree with you 110%.

Yes, that is true, I don't know you're age, that's why I said, assuming you're in your 40s or 50s or older.

And the education we have today... again, inherited by the people who built the system. Who built it? The children who are going through the school system or those who went through it... got jobs, got married, voted multiple times, lived, and had children who are going through the educational system that was made on their watch. I think the grownups who didn't protest the new stupid educational laws. Who didn't pay attention to what was going on. Who let things drift away not seeing the future consequences.

I ask seriously... do you think we can ever fix the problems... given the current political climate? IMHO the beginning of any correction has to start with family. And 'Family" is not a media hot button these days.

I ask seriously... do you think we can ever fix the problems... given the current political climate? IMHO the beginning of any correction has to start with family. And 'Family" is not a media hot button these days.

Good question.

Yes. We can fix it. It isn't easy, but anything worth fighting for never is.

Sure, many people in their 20s now will never amount to anything. My priority is that I, and those I care about, don't end there. I will do what I can do live a steady life and a good life and lead by example. I am not in a position to ever hope to make a widespread change, but change doesn't come in one big swoop. It never did. It comes incrementally. Step by step. person by person.

That's why when you see people using the word "change" a great deal, and it's not just Obama, republicans use it as often as they can, they're lying through their teeth. They don't know what this mystical word is. It's just a flash word. An empty statement that will never be enforced.
People who actually contribute to change don't advertise it. They just do it. And they start with themselves.

My objective here was not to necessarily point out the misgivings of this one person, but to ask if this is indicative of where the next generation is going?
No.

Next question?

I'm tired of hearing people say that English is her second or third language and that's why she can't speak correctly. Seriously, people.

She is very clearly fluent in English. In fact, until I read it on here, I had no idea that other languages were spoken in her home. Sounds like an excuse for her boorish behavior. I think English is the first language she is fluent in, and sarcasm is the second. She seems very fluent in sarcasm.

Can we survive as a civilized culture? If this is what we have to look forward to, as the next generation.... then God help us.

I'm less surprised about how well Rachel or others speak (as some have mentioned here) then I am concerned about how easily she and others of all ages can be manipulated by race charlatans.
I think that may be what you're alluding to.

Face it ... there's an entire self-perpetuating industry set up to not only excuse but encourage certain behavior while intimidating anyone who leaves the reservation.
e.g. Dr. Ben Carson, Allen West
And in case someone gets the wrong idea about what I mean ... that industry is politically exclusive ... not racially exclusive.

No.

Next question?
Have you ever been interviewed by Anderson Cooper? You might want to consider it, because right now she's the one speaking for your generation.

Just because you had crappy parents doesn't mean it is OK for you to be a crappy adult.

(By "you" I don't mean you personally, but generally people who blame their parents for their F'ed up views)

It occurs to me that more so now than in the past, we are evolving into multiple cultures where education and literacy are not valued as they were before. Our inner cities are seeing increasing control (or lack thereof) by street gangs. We had gangs 50 yrs ago, but they were isolated with minimal impact. It seems today they have morphed into cultures and communities that foster illiteracy. Have they become the norm? Hence my OP for discussion.

I'd say that what we're seeing is a greater polarization between different groups among the younger folks (<30), not only between different ethnicities/subcultures, but chiefly between the haves and have-nots.... and in the latter case, between the has-education and the has-no-education.

The have-nots seem, more and more, to be speaking a version of English among themselves where words and phrases mean something entirely different from their face value; where ineptitude in mainstream social situations is the norm; where ignorance is even more rampant than before.

We seem to be setting up to divide into the highly educated on one side and the abysmally ignorant and unsocialized on the other.

Or maybe it just looks that way and it won't be any worse that the schism between the WW2 generation and the Boomers.... who knows... all I can say is that in the past decade I SEEM to have run into more people who are astoundingly ignorant and unsocialized than was previously the case. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom