• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is this ok with you?

I did read their rules, have you? The NYPost didn't violate their rule. Until they re-wrote it today.

Nope. If there isn't any money you are not going to get a lawyer. Good luck prosecuting a defamation case pro se.

OK, you're not even trying to be serious. Just for starters, you're assuming DP and it's owners have no money, and maybe you know that, but I don't and I doubt you can assert it as fact. Also, of course it's not just DP, which was just an example, as you know, but thousands of websites like them.

OK, you're not even trying to be serious. Just for starters, you're assuming DP and it's owners have no money, and maybe you know that, but I don't and I doubt you can assert it as fact. Also, of course it's not just DP, which was just an example, as you know, but thousands of websites like them.
Your and Doc's hypotheticals of ten million or 100 million view are not serious. Damages in 99.99% of the cases are going to be so negligible that no attorney is every going to take on the case.

Your and Doc's hypotheticals of ten million or 100 million view are not serious. Damages in 99.99% of the cases are going to be so negligible that no attorney is every going to take on the case.

All it takes is one retweet by Trump and someone's comment goes to 100 million users, in about 10 minutes. How many see it? You tell me. Depends. And for it to inflict damage it doesn't matter how many but who in many cases. If the n=1 is your boss and you're fired, why does it matter?

And your made up stat is meaningless, even if true. What's the population, the n? If it's a million, that's 100 lawsuits filed in court, with significant damages on the line, and the huge cost of defending against them. How much will that hurt? Depends - it's your made up example, but it doesn't take more than one big win for thousands of websites.

I don't think you understood what I posted.

This isn't about "bias". The law doesn't care about feelings.
Demonstrated political bias is 'a feeling'? No. The political bias demonstrated is factual.

bawhahaha Anything published by either of them is bunk.
It is also bunk to dismiss the power the social media platforms capacity to manipulate.

Any attorney will take the case, if you can pay them for it. We're not just talking about contingency-fee ambulance chasers.

Moderating decision based on the political views of the poster, or political views of the post, yes, is a the problem.
It's a problem because you don't like how it's done, and you can vote with your feet and not let the door hit you on the ass on your way out. It's not a problem legally. Part of free speech means the government cannot require my platform to air a particular kind of speech, or really any kind of speech. The government mandating equal time or some bureaucrat's arbitrary notion of "fairness" on my private property would be a huge infringement on my freedoms.

That's what I don't get about this new right wing principle, if we can call it that. What you're suggesting is government get in the business of regulating speech, in the defense of FREE SPEECH. It's Orwellian, actually.

In that, I think the DP users are lucky, as this isn't how DP moderators make their decisions.

Nope, I think you are still missing it.
I have no idea what you mean by those comments. What is "this" that's not how DP moderators make decisions? If it's that they allow most political views, that's true. But they don't allow other views clearly protected by the 1A if censored by government, which is what the 1A restricts. Racists get the boot if they're too obvious, which is good. DP can ban you or me for any reason or no reason, delete any post they want for any reason or no reason, and there's nothing we can do. That is a GREAT thing, IMO. The alternative is we can sue, or complain to the FCC and subject them to audits or other damages, all because we aren't happy with how they run their own place. It's their business how they run it, not mine or yours. We play here or not, our choice. We properly have no say on the rules here.

Demonstrated political bias is 'a feeling'? No. The political bias demonstrated is factual.

I've not seen "political bias" proved as fact by Twitter or FB or anyone else. The bigger point is even if you could prove such a bias exists, it doesn't matter except to your feelings. Twitter is allowed to be as biased against or for a party or candidate as they want.

90% of the time we listen to Republicans say to "let the free market work it out".

until they need to cry.

The question is why should they be given exemptions from laws that others have to play by.
Because they are not government. That is why.

Only government is prohibited from infringing on our constitutionally protected rights, not the private sector. The reason is because you have a choice with the private sector, and you have no choice with government. If someone in the private sector decides to violate your constitutionally protected right, you can choose someone else. You don't get that option when it is government doing the violating, and that is why only government is specifically prohibited from violating our constitutionally protected rights.

I've not seen "political bias" proved as fact by Twitter or FB or anyone else. The bigger point is even if you could prove such a bias exists, it doesn't matter except to your feelings. Twitter is allowed to be as biased against or for a party or candidate as they want.
That is because you choose not to see it.

The left-wing bias at Google, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube are very obvious and blatant. Which is fine. They have the right to be as biased as they wish. They can ban every conservative if they like. Just don't insult people's intelligence by deliberately lying and claiming they are not leftist organizations when everyone knows that they are.

I would seriously question anyone who claims to be conservative and also has a Google, Twitter, Facebook, and/or YouTube account. No conservative that I know would ever use those leftist organizations.

That is because you choose not to see it.

The left-wing bias at Google, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube are very obvious and blatant. Which is fine. They have the right to be as biased as they wish. They can ban every conservative if they like. Just don't insult people's intelligence by deliberately lying and claiming they are not leftist organizations when everyone knows that they are.

I would seriously question anyone who claims to be conservative and also has a Google, Twitter, Facebook, and/or YouTube account. No conservative that I know would ever use those leftist organizations.

I don't actually care what their "bias" is. I know millions of conservatives are on all those platforms and seem to find content they like or they wouldn't use the services. Whether they are biased or not isn't interesting to me.

And the only reason I responded was to point out I didn't deliberately lie about anything. I said I've not seen their 'bias' "proved as fact" and I haven't. I made no claim they were or weren't just that I haven't seen evidence for either claim, nor am I sure what form that evidence would take for global platforms who are most interested in maximizing profits for their shareholders. Maybe that's done with a "liberal" bias. If so, OK, whatever....

Censorship. Twitter. Facebook. Banning, removing, blocking posts exposing Bidens involvement in corruption, specific knowledge and involvement of his sons cash for access to Joe incidents, Bidens knowledge and involvement in illegal election tampering and spying, and more and more. Serious allegations. Seemingly with proof. And then blocking content, posts, that are pro Trump.
Look. Im not a Trump freak. I AM someone who VALUES MY FREEDOM AND YOURS!!!!
The easy response is the "theyre private companies" response. Dont cut it anymore. Social media has become too integrated into our lives. If the phone company cut you off if you were talking about something they didnt like, would you defend that? If we dont have access to ALL the information, ESPECIALLY at this level, we are in REAL trouble. And its only a matter of time to where it effects YOU!!! Not just those you may or may not support.
So.........
Do you support media...on line, in print, broadcast...blocking SERIOUS content harmful to one, but not the other.
Is this the America YOU want?
We had anti-trust laws on the books for decades. Ask Ronald Reagan what happened to them.

I don't actually care what their "bias" is. I know millions of conservatives are on all those platforms and seem to find content they like or they wouldn't use the services.
I seriously doubt you know more than two conservatives. Your propensity for deliberately lying has already been well established.

Censorship. Twitter. Facebook. Banning, removing, blocking posts exposing Bidens involvement in corruption, specific knowledge and involvement of his sons cash for access to Joe incidents, Bidens knowledge and involvement in illegal election tampering and spying, and more and more. Serious allegations. Seemingly with proof. And then blocking content, posts, that are pro Trump.
Look. Im not a Trump freak. I AM someone who VALUES MY FREEDOM AND YOURS!!!!
The easy response is the "theyre private companies" response. Dont cut it anymore. Social media has become too integrated into our lives. If the phone company cut you off if you were talking about something they didnt like, would you defend that? If we dont have access to ALL the information, ESPECIALLY at this level, we are in REAL trouble. And its only a matter of time to where it effects YOU!!! Not just those you may or may not support.
So.........
Do you support media...on line, in print, broadcast...blocking SERIOUS content harmful to one, but not the other.
Is this the America YOU want?
No one blocked "serious" content. They blocked stupid shit aimed at even stupider people.

Actually the law says Slight difference - adding fact checks, "questionable content" markings' etc. doesn't fall under that rule.
Sure it does. The only thing they would be responsible for is their addition, not the shared material.

Last edited:
In Big Tech's case, from the Government. They have exemptions for their speech that no other private corporations have.
Most other private corporations have when operating in the same manner as the social media sites. If the site is deemed a social media site, those sites have those protections. Name a private corporation that runs a similar site that does not have those protections.

Pardon me, but I don't believe the argument is that a social media platforms is held liable for someone else's post on their platform, but that social media platforms be held liable for the editorial decisions they make when censoring their users posts, isn't it?
No. The entire reason for the exception in the law is to make them not accountable for that which is posted on their site. Tabloid magazines are always being sued for what they post. But normal sites that allow such things to be posted by users on their sites are not held accountable for what their users post. So if that rule is removed, then those social media sites would be held accountable for what others post on their site. So they could be sued the same as tabloids for some user reposting a story from a tabloid on their site.

In the social platforms's clearly politically driven decision making on what they decide to censor or whom they ban, the inconsistency with this they apply those policies.

Do not their customers have the right and expectation to be treated the same irrespective of their political views or the political views the content they decide to post support?
Private companies can be as inconsistent as they want. There is no law that requires consistency from them. Otherwise major news networks could be sued for inconsistency, investigated for inconsistency.

OK, so flip the coin.
The Social Media platforms controlled by those with a conservative political bias were banning and censoring the liberal perspective posts and news items such as they are doing now for the conservative.

Would you hold the same position? I rather doubt it.
Yes. I would expect it. Why would I join a site that has a conservative political bias and not expect to get censored based on that bias? If I were to join the Blaze site or Parler, I would expect some bias in their business operations to lean conservative. Even Facebook sees far more conservative posts and posters posting than liberals. But it is a private company. I wouldn't complain about it. I am using their platforms for free, choosing to use it.

Yet, he could not even identify the person who dropped the laptop off?
There actually is a condition that impairs a person's ability to recognize faces (not saying he is being truthful about this, only that it does exist).

I seriously doubt you know more than two conservatives. Your propensity for deliberately lying has already been well established.
Having been in the military and from NC, I know a lot of conservatives. Hell I live with some, who are also on facebook. My facebook feed is full of conservative stories and nonsense they post. I have far more conservative posts and crap covering my feed than liberal (although I still have liberal posts and even some crap as well).

Back
Top Bottom