• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

IS this image racist?

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
1282946971.jpg

It is a Caricature - one of many such in a gallery of other caricatures all drawn by the same artist.

What are you thoughts?

Poor taste?
Bad humor?
Tolerable - in context of it being among other caricatures?
Racist?

I don't think it is racist. To me, it is in poor taste, but that is almost by definition a personal reaction, not an absolute. On the other hand, I really like the artists style, if not his content.

The fact that it is on white canvas is racist.

Can't a black man enjoy a slice of watermelon?

Can't a black man enjoy a slice of watermelon?

Most black people I know really enjoy watermelon. Then again, so do most white people I know.

I can't find any reason to call this racist. When I look at the image nothing about it is offensive to me. Is there some historical thing I don't know about?

Not racist in my opinion

It is not meant to demean anyone, just a simple caricature, that is well done

I do not know about that picture but I am pretty sure this is.

Attachments

• pic155625_lg (800 x 600).jpg
    pic155625_lg (800 x 600).jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 120
  • WATERMELON-PATCH-PUZZLE (600 x 405).jpg
    WATERMELON-PATCH-PUZZLE (600 x 405).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
1282946971.jpg

It is a Caricature - one of many such in a gallery of other caricatures all drawn by the same artist.

What are you thoughts?

Poor taste?
Bad humor?
Racist?

In our politically correct world, it's only "racist" if blacks think it is. It's no more racist than a pisano eatin' a plate of spaghetti.

I thought the purpose of caricatures was to poke a little fun at the subject.

I don't know who this person is, the subject I mean, so I can't really say whether it is in poor taste or not.

In example, if the subject IRL was a very sophisticated and urbane black gentleman who was always well-dressed and spoke with an Oxford accent, portraying him in this manner would be a laughable parody because it was so far from reality.

Racist? No. Who don't like some watermelon? Nobody I know... :mrgreen:

Is the artist a non-black person?

1282946971.jpg

What are you thoughts?

Poor taste?
Bad humor?
Racist?

I hope the good doctor gets a cut when that drawing sells, cause that's him.

Dr J - 075

I hope the good doctor gets a cut when that drawing sells, cause that's him.

Dr J - 075

They all look alike, don't they?

to add yet another stereotype to an already offensive list. Black man, big afro, barefoot, eating watermelon. How many stereotypes do we need to have?

Yes, it's racist.

coughracistcough

Are you calling me one or saying that the image is racist?

Of course context matters and folks go on and on about here so nobody best not be implying I am racist for asking if some crazy who knows what non-black person is the artist. Do not even try it.

Last edited:
-- What are you thoughts? --

The drawings in German nazi leaflets leading up to WW2 were definitely racist and designed to demean whereas this does not - it's not racist to me, I've seen racist images which insult or exaggerate racial / facial characteristics and this to me is a simple caricature.

Are you calling me one or saying that the image is racist?

Of course context matters and folks go on and on about here so nobody best not be implying I am racist for asking if some crazy who knows what non-black person is the artist. Do not even try it.

you are being racist, you're holding people to different standards depending on their race, that's almost the very definiton of racism.

you are being racist, you're holding people to different standards depending on their race, that's almost the very definiton of racism.

The hell I AM! Don't ya think it frigging matters WHO the artist is? I mean it could be a Grand Wizard of the KKK!

And BTW, I did not say I would find it Racist! What I said was that it matters who the artist is!

You seem to wanna jump the gun here! I never said I would NOT find it racist if a BLACK person is the artist. Did I? Nope. :(

I take racism VERY serious and I will not allow someone to try to paint me in a light that I am not in.

The hell I AM! Don't ya think it frigging matters WHO the artist is? I mean it could be a Grand Wizard of the KKK!

And BTW, I did not say I would find it Racist! What I said was that it matters who the artist is!

You seem to wanna jump the gun here! I never said I would NOT find it racist if a BLACK person is the artist. Did I? Nope. :(

I take racism VERY serious and I will not allow someone to try to paint me in a light that I am not in.

you say that the race of the artist matter, if it's racist no matter what, why does that matter?

Because I like to know something about the artist before making a choice. Of course it Matters. You know what I am trying to say!

And yes Art is subjective but this is one of those subjects that I am very touchy about and I will be damn if I am gonna say that is not a racist pic without knowing who the artist is, background, etc.

Don't you think that is fair? What if it is like a Klan Leader? And just so you know? I hated the pic the moment I saw it and it did bring up other racist images in my mind. OK?

BTW, I never said the pic is racist no matter what. Here is what I did say that you may have missed "You seem to wanna jump the gun here! I never said I would NOT find it racist if a BLACK person is the artist."

I pointed out that the artist could be black and I could still consider it racist. I HATE the pic.

Last edited:
Because I like to know something about the artist before making a choice. Of course it Matters. You know what I am trying to say!

And yes Art is subjective but this is one of those subjects that I am very touchy about and I will be damn if I am gonna say that is not a racist pic without knowing who the artist is, background, etc.

Don't you think that is fair? What if it is like a Klan Leader? And just so you know? I hated the pic the moment I saw it and it did bring up other racist images in my mind. OK?

OK, fair enough.

You said that it matters to you if the artist was black.

thats_racist_LOL_Funny_Pictures-s150x134-43840-580.gif

Back
Top Bottom