• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

IS this image racist?

Spud, you have no problems with this pic? None at all? And I am being serious.

You said that it matters to you if the artist was black.

thats_racist_LOL_Funny_Pictures-s150x134-43840-580.gif

Yes. I Did. There is nothing racist about my posts here. The only problem here are people that seem to have trouble feeling what I am saying.

Spud, you have no problems with this pic? None at all? And I am being serious.

No, I don't, simply 'cause none the of stereotypes in it are negative, there's nothing wrong with having an afro or eating watermelon, i understand that they are stereotypes, but they're presented in a way just for lulz, and I have no problem with that.

No, I don't, simply 'cause none the of stereotypes in it are negative, there's nothing wrong with having an afro or eating watermelon, i understand that they are stereotypes, but they're presented in a way just for lulz, and I have no problem with that.

Yes but don't you have a problem with the picture itself?

I mean, I could draw a better caricature with my eyes tied behind my back and my hands covered.

I like his eyes.

Yes but don't you have a problem with the picture itself?

I mean, I could draw a better caricature with my eyes tied behind my back and my hands covered.

My drawing skills make that of a well hung quadruple amputee with chalk on his dick look like a masterpiece, so I can't critique it.

My drawing skills make that of a well hung quadruple amputee with chalk on his dick look like a masterpiece, so I can't critique it.

I must meet this man.

They all look alike, don't they?

to add yet another stereotype to an already offensive list. Black man, big afro, barefoot, eating watermelon. How many stereotypes do we need to have?

Yes, it's racist.

When I can, I like to make a point through humor. So, Dr. J.

The caricature is a stereotypical thing, probably intended by the artist to create interest and discussion like on this thread.

DING DING DING DING DING.

I never hear anyone say someone else is being racist when they say black guys have huge cocks..........

So, its acceptable to be sterotyped as a guy having a large penis... but OH NOES HE SAID I EAT WATERMELON?!?! OOOOHHH LAWWWRDD..

AND CHICKEN TOOO? OH LAWWWRRRDDD.

WHat is the context of the picture? WHo asked who to draw what? If it is just some random drawing of some random person with a thrown in prop then you would have to say at the very least it is stereotypical. Racist? I think in order for it to be racist there has to be some sort of context.

The hell I AM! Don't ya think it frigging matters WHO the artist is? I mean it could be a Grand Wizard of the KKK!

And BTW, I did not say I would find it Racist! What I said was that it matters who the artist is!

You seem to wanna jump the gun here! I never said I would NOT find it racist if a BLACK person is the artist. Did I? Nope. :(

I take racism VERY serious and I will not allow someone to try to paint me in a light that I am not in.

Holy crap...we agreed on something!!!

Without understanding the artist's intention it's impossible to say. It certainly plays on racist concepts, but without a dialogue with the artist there's no way to say if it itself is.

The end of days are nearing. lol :)

Perhaps...but Im still not tossing my balls your way! ;)

(pleasetakethatasajokepleaseohpleasetakethatasajoke...)

I didn't even know that watermelons had anything to do with race until that TV pundit (who was it again?) said something about Obama selling watermelons recently.

EDIT: It might have been Ed Schultz.

Last edited:
I didn't even know that watermelons had anything to do with race until that TV pundit (who was it again?) said something about Obama selling watermelons recently.

EDIT: It might have been Ed Schultz.

I didn't know it was a black stereotype as well until I've read it somewhere on the internet.
Is there an explanation to this stereotype at all? Why is it assumed that black people like watermellons more than anyone else?

It is I think totally impossible to know whether it is racist without knowing the artist.

It clearly is a stereotype and from what people have said here, a stereotype that comes from the time blacks were slaves.

He is also shown with an extremely large head and watermelon in comparison to his body. Babys and young children have larger heads that bodies. Possibly this is also indicating the past when black people were slaves, called boy and so on.

So, I think that it appears there is a lot of things which speak about not so much a racist time as a slave time.

I imagine that the artist drew it to provoke thought rather than to be racist.

He is also shown with an extremely large head and watermelon in comparison to his body.

Isn't that just how caricatures are?

Isn't that just how caricatures are?

Ha Ha, to be honest I don't know to much about them!! However this seems to be extreme, not just a bigger head but a massively bigger head. It was the first things I noticed. He also looks innocent, maybe even dependent and somewhat childlike so I am guessing that it was the artists intention to depict him as the 'boy' which is how slave owners and early racists saw black people. All we can do it guess, unless he comes to tell us. ;)

Ha Ha, to be honest I don't know to much about them!! However this seems to be extreme, not just a bigger head but a massively bigger head. It was the first things I noticed. He also looks innocent, maybe even dependent and somewhat childlike so I am guessing that it was the artists intention to depict him as the 'boy' which is how slave owners and early racists saw black people. All we can do it guess, unless he comes to tell us. ;)

Nah...normal carricature big head...its just got a fro...and that makes it LOOK bigger. And for the record...my highschool pic had a Freddie Fender Fro that would put that one to shame...

if you want it to be

Exactly.

Nah...normal carricature big head...its just got a fro...and that makes it LOOK bigger. And for the record...my highschool pic had a Freddie Fender Fro that would put that one to shame...

I have a caricature of myself that was done a long time ago, and the head is really big. To alexa, I don't believe it has anything to do with "boy" or any other 'lean to racism' thing one might think.

Vance... we needs pics or it didn't happen. ;) :mrgreen:

Exactly.

I have a caricature of myself that was done a long time ago, and the head is really big. To alexa, I don't believe it has anything to do with "boy" or any other 'lean to racism' thing one might think.

Vance... we needs pics or it didn't happen. ;) :mrgreen:

Those pics (along with high school year books and every other bit of incriminating evidence are sealed! I cannot think of anything I am MORE grateful for than the fact that we didnt have the internet and YouTube during my early adult years!!! :shock:

Those pics (along with high school year books and every other bit of incriminating evidence are sealed! I cannot think of anything I am MORE grateful for than the fact that we didnt have the internet and YouTube during my early adult years!!! :shock:

Oh damn... and I was gonna share some equally frightening pics with you, of me. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom