• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is this dumb, stupid or both?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I just saw a caption of Ann Coulter the right wing talking head. Apparently she made the comment that she wasn't from immigrants, she came from settlers. I wonder how she thinks her "settlers" got to this country? Maybe she thinks that they took a covered wagon across the Atlantic Ocean so that makes her come from settlers instead of immigrants. I don't know if she is dumb, stupid or both.

How many generations does it take to no longer be considered an immigrant? Even those people we consider indiginious to this country immigrated here at some point in time but they are not considered immigrants.

Personally for me after 3rd or so generations you are no longer an immigrant your become a native at that point.

If you're not still in Africa, you're an immigrant. Homo sapiens has been moving around all over the world for a very long time now.

I just saw a caption of Ann Coulter the right wing talking head. Apparently she made the comment that she wasn't from immigrants, she came from settlers. I wonder how she thinks her "settlers" got to this country? Maybe she thinks that they took a covered wagon across the Atlantic Ocean so that makes her come from settlers instead of immigrants. I don't know if she is dumb, stupid or both.

Both...

How many generations does it take to no longer be considered an immigrant? Even those people we consider indiginious to this country immigrated here at some point in time but they are not considered immigrants.

Personally for me after 3rd or so generations you are no longer an immigrant your become a native at that point.

For you it's 3 gen's, for very conservatives it's 1 gen, for liberals 5 to 8? I guess people who still feel a connection to their family history welcome more immigrants and refuges. Who's to say which it is officially or does it matter?

Btw, I believe that our native Americans are considered indigenous because they were the first to settled here, they didn't need to be accepted by xenophobes of whatever degree. Immigration started after the creation of countries and their governments...

Both...

For you it's 3 gen's, for very conservatives it's 1 gen, for liberals 5 to 8? I guess people who still feel a connection to their family history welcome more immigrants and refuges. Who's to say which it is officially or does it matter?
Well you and the OP seem to feel it was a dumb or stupid comment and we are debating it here so yeah apparently it does matter.
Btw, I believe that our native Americans are considered indigenous because they were the first to settled here, they didn't need to be accepted by xenophobes of whatever degree. Immigration started after the creation of countries and their governments...
Agian it all depends on how far back you want to go

Both...

Actually what we consider Native American's were not the first to settle here. They actually pushed out the original people that immigrated here down towards South America.

As for what it takes to no longer be considered an immigrant? By law it is those that are born here. So even what is considered as "anchor babies" are not considered immigrants by law. That's the definition I use.

What does that have to do with anything? Who cares if she was conceived by space aliens?

The problem with the "I am from settlers" and not from Immigrants sort of comment is that it is a bold faced effort to stick oneself higher on the totem based on some sort of oddball logic about who got here when as if there is some big dif in the quality of immigrant one was based on when they got here. NO!!!!! All of them were running from something....running from religious persecutions, accused heretics, thieves, vagabonds, fortune hunters, outright criminals of all sorts, adventurers, those running from famine....if anything the later "immigrants" were just people looking to break the bondage of the European caste system that had a GD King at the top of the totem. So NO Ann, you're nothing special dearie. Jesus there are times when being white is an embarrassment.

This element of Immigration and settlement actually goes all the way back to the Mayflower Puritans who happened to write like the dickens while the Virginia settlers just did not give a good gosh darn about recording everything or much of anything. As a consequence, the Mayflower Puritans got to set the narrative and you don't hear a GD think about the Jamestown settlers until a left handed comment about Jamestown and the slave trade......I can't even tell if that was an effort to complement Jamestown or criticize it as there were slaves in the Northern Colonies as well.

Last edited:
The problem with the "I am from settlers" and not from Immigrants sort of comment is that it is a bold faced effort to stick oneself higher on the totem based on some sort of oddball logic about who got here when as if there is some big dif in the quality of immigrant one was based on when they got here. NO!!!!! All of them were running from something....running from religious persecutions, accused heretics, thieves, vagabonds, fortune hunters, outright criminals of all sorts, adventurers, those running from famine....if anything the later "immigrants" were just people looking to break the bondage of the European caste system that had a GD King at the top of the totem. So NO Ann, you're nothing special dearie. Jesus there are times when being white is an embarrassment.

Did Ann say that being from settelers is somehow better than being from immigrants? There was no linked article to what Ann supposedly said or context for it

Well you and the OP seem to feel it was a dumb or stupid comment and we are debating it here so yeah apparently it does matter.

I agree, I don't think what you said was dumb, you're entitled to an opinion...

Actually what we consider Native American's were not the first to settle here. They actually pushed out the original people that immigrated here down towards South America.

As for what it takes to no longer be considered an immigrant? By law it is those that are born here. So even what is considered as "anchor babies" are not considered immigrants by law. That's the definition I use.

Well indigenous is the only way I've heard our natives referred to. I'd be interested to read an informed article about them being considered anything else. Maybe you're thinking about the Neanderthals… :lol:

Settlers? Is that what we call bowel movements now? Well she was born in a toilet wasn't she?

[/b]

Did Ann say that being from settelers is somehow better than being from immigrants? There was no linked article to what Ann supposedly said or context for it

Settlers were white and had guns to murder native americans. Immigrants are black, brown and have germs. But Anne will be the first person to say 'But I am NOT a racist..."

Should someone tell Coulter that trump's grandparents were IMMIGRANTS from Germany and his mother was an IMMIGRANT from Scotland?

And lets also tell her that two of trump's three wives are IMMIGRANTS from former COMMUNIST ruled Eastern Europe.

She is neither.

You, on the other hand...

[/b]

She didn't have to say the words. Simply trying to distinguish herself that way IS saying it.

Settlers? Is that what we call bowel movements now? Well she was born in a toilet wasn't she?

At least she doesn't have her mouth in a gutter.

Settlers were white and had guns to murder native americans. Immigrants are black, brown and have germs. But Anne will be the first person to say 'But I am NOT a racist..."

The only racial implications I've seen here come from you.

Coulter is a provocateur, plain and simple. She makes a very good living deliberately antagonizing the left and she’s good at it. Best response to her is none.

It does not matter how far back, she did not say her parents or grandparents were settlers, she said she "comes" from settlers. At some time, unless she is native American, her ancestors, from where she came, were immigrants. Yo can try as you might, it is a dumb statement among many she makes.

It does not matter how far back, she did not say her parents or grandparents were settlers, she said she "comes" from settlers. At some time, unless she is native American, her ancestors, from where she came, were immigrants. Yo can try as you might, it is a dumb statement among many she makes.
The only thing dumb is the reaction of people who are upset at what she said.

And even the native Americans at some point immigrated here from other lands. Do you call them immigrants if not why?

...And even the native Americans at some point immigrated here from other lands. Do you call them immigrants if not why?

Ever get the feeling history repeats itself?

The only thing dumb is the reaction of people who are upset at what she said.

And even the native Americans at some point immigrated here from other lands. Do you call them immigrants if not why?

No the Native Americans migrated here. They simply followed their food sources here. They did not Immigrate here. Migration and Immigration are not the same things though you would not know it from the way everybody from MSM to politicians use the two words interchangeably.

By the way, do you really think the term "Migrant Caravan" is accurate in either the use of the word Migrant or Caravan!!!!!!

If her rendition of her ancestorial origins are correct, neither she nor her ancestors were immigrants. At the time they moved from one part of the British Empire to another - that is not the definition of an immigrant; it is the definition of migration within the empire. Alternatively, they may have moved to the Americas into unsettled non-British territory, which still does not make it immigration.

Therefore, her ancestors were certainty settlers but they weren't immigrants.

Get over it.

BOTH...she is playing semantics.

Back
Top Bottom