• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is this an example of democrat hypocrisy when it comes to judicial nominations?

Is this an example of democrat hypocrisy when it comes to judicial nominations?

  • Yes it is hypocritical

    Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No it is not hypocritical(please state why)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not know.

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    7

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
Uh.....how exactly is this showing hypocrisy in any way? Where did you get this video from?
 

Scarecrow Akhbar

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,430
Reaction score
2,282
Location
Los Angeles
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Yeah, it illustrates the typical Democrat double standard. But what else would anyone expect? 90% of the Democrat agenda would never have happened if they hadn't taken over the courts and got the judges to invent a new Constitution that bears no resemblance to the old one.

The last thing the Democrats can afford is jurists willing to restore the original Constitution. That might set the country free.

Oh, and Stace, isn't the content of the video, and it's message, more imporatnt than it's author? Does the video say something you can disagree with on a factual basis? I mean, Joe Biden's in it, perhaps it's been plagiarized? Is that what you're asking? You have perhaps a concern for copyright infringement that outweighs everything else?
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Oh, and Stace, isn't the content of the video, and it's message, more imporatnt than it's author? Does the video say something you can disagree with on a factual basis? I mean, Joe Biden's in it, perhaps it's been plagiarized? Is that what you're asking? You have perhaps a concern for copyright infringement that outweighs everything else?
The video doesn't say much of merit at all. I see no hypocrisy displayed, when all it talks about is Justice Ginsberg and her Senate confirmation hearings. What exactly is the point they're trying to make, and what is the point that James is trying to make? Especially since at the end they mention Justice Roberts, who has already been confirmed.

And as for wanting to know where the video came from, sources are very important to me. Then again, since you guys want to make generalizations about liberals in general, and especially those of us on this site, allow me to make a generalization of my own and take a guess as to say that it was made by some conservative organization. Which means that of course you guys would see it as the Dems being hypocrites, whereas if it were made by an unbiased organization, they would immediately be labeled as left leaning. Or, if it were made by a liberal organization, of course they're being hypocrites in saying that they're fair and wah wah wah.
 

Kandahar

Enemy Combatant
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 20, 2005
Messages
20,688
Reaction score
7,319
Location
Washington, DC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Yeah, it illustrates the typical Democrat double standard. But what else would anyone expect? 90% of the Democrat agenda would never have happened if they hadn't taken over the courts and got the judges to invent a new Constitution that bears no resemblance to the old one.

You say that as though people like Alito, Scalia, and Thomas actually follow the Constitution. I'm all for strict constructionism, but conservative activism on the court is just as bad as liberal activism. Alito has a shockingly expansive view of the powers of the executive that should make anyone cringe, especially a self-described libertarian such as yourself.

Oh for the days when conservatives tried to reduce the size of government, rather than tried to make it bigger in new creative ways...
 

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
34,334
Reaction score
16,228
Location
A place where common sense exists
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Stace said:
The video doesn't say much of merit at all. I see no hypocrisy displayed, when all it talks about is Justice Ginsberg and her Senate confirmation hearings. What exactly is the point they're trying to make, and what is the point that James is trying to make? Especially since at the end they mention Justice Roberts, who has already been confirmed.


"Joe Biden:
I do think it is appropriate to point out that judge you not only have a right to choose what you will answer,but in my view should not answer on what your view will be clearly is going to come before the court in 50 different forms proably over your tenure over the court."


http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/15/roberts.hearings/

Sen. Joseph Biden, D-Delaware, expressed frustration Wednesday for a second day over Roberts' answers, pressing him for his personal and judicial views on the issue.

"With all due respect, you've told me nothing," Biden said. "It's kind of interesting, this kabuki dance we have in these hearings here, as if the public doesn't have a right to know what you think about fundamental issues facing them."
 

TurtleDude

warrior of the wetlands
DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 12, 2005
Messages
240,915
Reaction score
72,552
Location
Ohio
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Here is the real hypocrisy.

In 1993, Justice Byron White's seat became vacant. Though Justice White had been appointed by JFK, he was one of the most consistently conservative votes on the court (then again, JFK wouldn't recognize the dems today either). THe nominee to replace him was RBG. Did anyone whine that replacing a pro law and order anti abortion conservative with a radical feminist and unlimited abortion rights advocate was CHANGING the balance of the court? NO

who Alito replaces is IRRELEVANT. the founders understood that changing parties in control of the whitehouse would mean changing the slants on the courts.
 

Scarecrow Akhbar

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,430
Reaction score
2,282
Location
Los Angeles
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Kandahar said:
You say that as though people like Alito, Scalia, and Thomas actually follow the Constitution. I'm all for strict constructionism, but conservative activism on the court is just as bad as liberal activism. Alito has a shockingly expansive view of the powers of the executive that should make anyone cringe, especially a self-described libertarian such as yourself.

Oh for the days when conservatives tried to reduce the size of government, rather than tried to make it bigger in new creative ways...
The way to regain the Constitution is to go back to strict reading of it. I haven't seen any "judicial activism" from anyone shifting the direction back to the right, which is where it has to go.
 

Scarecrow Akhbar

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,430
Reaction score
2,282
Location
Los Angeles
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Stace said:
The video doesn't say much of merit at all. I see no hypocrisy displayed, when all it talks about is Justice Ginsberg and her Senate confirmation hearings. What exactly is the point they're trying to make, and what is the point that James is trying to make? Especially since at the end they mention Justice Roberts, who has already been confirmed.

And as for wanting to know where the video came from, sources are very important to me. Then again, since you guys want to make generalizations about liberals in general, and especially those of us on this site, allow me to make a generalization of my own and take a guess as to say that it was made by some conservative organization. Which means that of course you guys would see it as the Dems being hypocrites, whereas if it were made by an unbiased organization, they would immediately be labeled as left leaning. Or, if it were made by a liberal organization, of course they're being hypocrites in saying that they're fair and wah wah wah.
All you need to do is watch C-SPAN's replay of today's hearings and watch Scummer's face when Alito plays the Ginsberg Rule back at him. He's like to have eaten a dead rat.

That's what's relevant about that video. The message, and not the messenger.
 

Stace

Boobie Jubilee
DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 9, 2005
Messages
7,255
Reaction score
364
Location
Clarksville, TN
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
Scarecrow Akhbar said:
All you need to do is watch C-SPAN's replay of today's hearings and watch Scummer's face when Alito plays the Ginsberg Rule back at him. He's like to have eaten a dead rat.

That's what's relevant about that video. The message, and not the messenger.
Thanks, but I've BEEN watching C-SPAN for the past 3 1/2 days.

I don't really need anyone to quote the source here, I just wanted to see if jamesrage WOULD admit to it. All you have to do is get the properties of the link, and you'll see that it comes from www.johnroberts.com.

We'll just have to agree to disagree here, because, in my opinion, you see things as only being black or white, when many matters are much more complicated, and I'm not going to spend my time trying to argue with someone that can't see the in between of an issue, especially when I have more important issues I could be debating. So I bid you a good day.
 

Scarecrow Akhbar

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,430
Reaction score
2,282
Location
Los Angeles
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Stace said:
Thanks, but I've BEEN watching C-SPAN for the past 3 1/2 days.

I don't really need anyone to quote the source here, I just wanted to see if jamesrage WOULD admit to it. All you have to do is get the properties of the link, and you'll see that it comes from www.johnroberts.com.

We'll just have to agree to disagree here, because, in my opinion, you see things as only being black or white, when many matters are much more complicated, and I'm not going to spend my time trying to argue with someone that can't see the in between of an issue, especially when I have more important issues I could be debating. So I bid you a good day.
I can always see the in-between of an issue. The question is why are you insisting something is grey when a close examination reveals it's made up of black spots on a white sheet?
 

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 11, 2005
Messages
39,883
Reaction score
3,070
Location
Pacific NW
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Unlike Ginsberg I think Judge Alto has tried to answer the questions as best he could.............The video proves how Ginsberg dodged and refused to answer the questions and the Republicans realizing she was Clinton's choice went along with the Democrats and approved her 96-3...............

The hypocrisy is outrageous...............
 

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
34,334
Reaction score
16,228
Location
A place where common sense exists
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Scarecrow Akhbar said:
All you need to do is watch C-SPAN's replay of today's hearings and watch Scummer's face when Alito plays the Ginsberg Rule back at him. He's like to have eaten a dead rat.

Do you know if they have that on video?
 

jamesrage

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
34,334
Reaction score
16,228
Location
A place where common sense exists
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Stace said:
Thanks, but I've BEEN watching C-SPAN for the past 3 1/2 days.

I don't really need anyone to quote the source here, I just wanted to see if jamesrage WOULD admit to it. All you have to do is get the properties of the link, and you'll see that it comes from www.johnroberts.com.

I suppose it is natural human instinct to want to discredit any facts that constridict what you beleave.I admit that sometimes do that too.
We'll just have to agree to disagree here, because, in my opinion, you see things as only being black or white, when many matters are much more complicated, and I'm not going to spend my time trying to argue with someone that can't see the in between of an issue, especially when I have more important issues I could be debating. So I bid you a good day.
There is no grey area here.WHere do you see a grey area?This is completely black and white.

"Joe Biden:
I do think it is appropriate to point out that judge you not only have a right to choose what you will answer,but in my view should not answer on what your view will be clearly is going to come before the court in 50 different forms proably over your tenure over the court."


http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/...erts.hearings/

Sen. Joseph Biden, D-Delaware, expressed frustration Wednesday for a second day over Roberts' answers, pressing him for his personal and judicial views on the issue.

"With all due respect, you've told me nothing," Biden said. "It's kind of interesting, this kabuki dance we have in these hearings here, as if the public doesn't have a right to know what you think about fundamental issues facing them."
 

JOHNYJ

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
567
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
Of course it was they had " THE BRIDGE INSPECTOR FROM MASSACHUSETTS " lead he fight in defense of" womens
dignity ". Considering his past when it comes to women that was the height of hypocricy.
 

Scarecrow Akhbar

DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 22, 2005
Messages
11,430
Reaction score
2,282
Location
Los Angeles
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
jamesrage said:
Do you know if they have that on video?
Well, unless the Senators are willing to redo the entire hearing from transcipts of the first one, I'd say that any replay of the Senate hearings on Alito are on tape.

Unless they're using film, or recording it on DVD, of course.:roll:
 

TurtleDude

warrior of the wetlands
DP Veteran
Joined
Oct 12, 2005
Messages
240,915
Reaction score
72,552
Location
Ohio
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
JOHNYJ said:
Of course it was they had " THE BRIDGE INSPECTOR FROM MASSACHUSETTS " lead he fight in defense of" womens
dignity ". Considering his past when it comes to women that was the height of hypocricy.

MY Mary lies under the Ocean
My Mary Lies under the sea
My Mary lies under the dike-bridge
Waiting for Ted Kennedy
 
Top Bottom