• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is this a legitimate lawsuit?

radcen

Phonetic Mnemonic ©
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Not sure where to put this, so in the Law & Order forum it goes due to the lawsuit aspect.

Relatives of slain war correspondent Marie Colvin sue Syrian regime

Marie Colvin: Relatives sue Syria over journalist's killing - CNN.com
On the surface, I say 'no'. She was a war correspondent in a highly volatile war zone in a country with an authoritarian dictatorship that is desperately trying to hold on. No one should be surprised, and the possibility, IMO, was highly foreseeable as a legitimate possibility, and yet she still went willingly.

Not sure where to put this, so in the Law & Order forum it goes due to the lawsuit aspect.

On the surface, I say 'no'. She was a war correspondent in a highly volatile war zone in a country with an authoritarian dictatorship that is desperately trying to hold on. No one should be surprised, and the possibility, IMO, was highly foreseeable as a legitimate possibility, and yet she still went willingly.

Oh. No doubt she should have known the danger. But like the drunk girl at the strangers'party, it's the rapist that is the main perp.

No, I don't think the lawsuit is legitimate. She had to have known the danger and the risk she was taking by going there. Like you said, it's a highly volatile warzone.

I would say to her family, "Good luck with that."

Depends on what they want to accomplice with said lawsuit. I don't think we can take it at face value that it's for compensatory damages. More than likely it's to bring back to the forefront what was going on. And if that is the case yeah it's legitimate.

A foreign journalist from an unfriendly nation (the USA) that worked for a newspaper from another unfriendly nation (the UK) to the nation (Syria) she is located within, while she is within a war zone, where a civil war is taking place, and where it is not unforeseeable that the warring country's government could see her reporting as at the very least, a potential criminal act under their laws, and even more likely, as an act of espionage and subversive actions against the regime, and the fact that she was killed within an area where she was putting out electronic reports informing the world about the area and the actions taken by the Syrian regime who had surrounded the area and were continually attacking?

No, it isn't reasonable for her to have expected the Syrian government to not kill her, intentionally or not, and it is not reasonable for her family to sue the Syrian regime... well, they can sue, but even the World Court would laugh at them for doing so.

I felt bad for her when her death occurred. I still do. She was a brave and talented person, and lost her life doing what very few would or could. She knew the risk.

I felt bad for her when her death occurred. I still do. She was a brave and talented person, and lost her life doing what very few would or could. She knew the risk.

ALL those journalists that go over to the Middle East in those war-torn regions are brave as ****, and I hold great respect for all of them.

Interesting analogy.

I have to disagree with his analogy - rape is not a reasonable expectation of a potential outcome for a girl going to a party, whether the person is a stranger or not - however, being hurt, injured, shot, blown up, dismembered and losing a limb, losing your hearing or eyesight, as well as other forms of bodily damage are all reasonable expectations of potential outcomes of willfully placing yourself in an active combat area within a declared war zone.

absolutely legitimate, these people risk their lives daily to show the world mans inhumanity to man...she knew the odds of dying yes, that is irrelavent

the lawsuit is a statement and it brings world attention, one more fight in her name for the right thing, they speak for crimes against humanity...it was her life's work...in death too she cries for justice

these people are heroes and go where others fail to tread

kudos to them

Back
Top Bottom