• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is There Such A Thing As An Illegal Immigrant?

Moderate Right

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
It seems to me that the left's argument is that there is no such thing as an illegal immigrant. Immigrants either come here through the proper channels or they cross the border without going through the proper channels. BUT, even though some come here by not going through the proper channels, once they are on our soil they have the legal right to claim asylum. So, we have only two situations (according to the left).

1. Immigrants come here through the proper channels and therefore are legal immigrants

2. Immigrants cross the border illegally but the second they do they can claim asylum and therefore in that second they automatically become legal immigrants

It seems to me that the left's argument is that there is no such thing as an illegal immigrant. Immigrants either come here through the proper channels or they cross the border without going through the proper channels. BUT, even though some come here by not going through the proper channels, once they are on our soil they have the legal right to claim asylum. So, we have only two situations (according to the left).

1. Immigrants come here through the proper channels and therefore are legal immigrants

2. Immigrants cross the border illegally but the second they do they can claim asylum and therefore in that second they automatically become legal immigrants

Number 2 is incorrect. When they cross the border illegally, the are illegal immigrants. When they then ask for asylum, they are illegal immigrants who are asking for asylum.

Your imagined reality bares little resemblance to the actual one.

Number 2 is incorrect. When they cross the border illegally, the are illegal immigrants. When they then ask for asylum, they are illegal immigrants who are asking for asylum.

Correction: If they cross the border seeking asylum, they are not an immigrant, they are a refugee.

Re: the OP: Yes, there is such a thing as an illegal immigrant.

When people first started complaining about the term I remember it being from a grammatical perspective. They would say a person can’t be illegal. This was the reason given by media outlets to start using “undocumented immigrant”. I think that is nit picking. I have heard of unlawful drivers and lawful owners so I don’t see the issue with illegal immigrant.

When people first started complaining about the term I remember it being from a grammatical perspective. They would say a person can’t be illegal. This was the reason given by media outlets to start using “undocumented immigrant”. I think that is nit picking. I have heard of unlawful drivers and lawful owners so I don’t see the issue with illegal immigrant.

I should have made that part of my OP. The left say the term illegals or illegal immigrants is politically incorrect and wanted to use the term undocumented immigrants as if there really was no such thing as an illegal immigrant.

When it is all said and done it depends on whose business said immigrant is employed. At local levels especially, immigrant status is often determined politically. If a business owner is successful, an active Republican donor, member and supporter of the Chamber of Commerce and has many of the right punches on his social/economic ticket the likelihood of the owner's hired help being vetted by authorities is relatively low.

When did "the left" argue that there is no such thing as an illegal immigration? Entire thread looks like a typical Moderate Right strawman.
Try quoting party leaders, or a volume of widely accepted liberal positions from actual people, if you want to be serious.

When it is all said and done it depends on whose business said immigrant is employed. At local levels especially, immigrant status is often determined politically. If a business owner is successful, an active Republican donor, member and supporter of the Chamber of Commerce and has many of the right punches on his social/economic ticket the likelihood of the owner's hired help being vetted by authorities is relatively low.

What a bunch of partisan nonsense. The left forms sanctuary cities, a sanctuary state, calls for ICE to be abolished, gives illegals driver's licenses, mostly free healthcare, allows them to be counted in the census, lets illegals vote in local elections, refuses to let Trump build even one inch of wall, and some how the left claims it is employers and the right who give the incentives to illegals to come here.

There are people who are unlawfully present (mainly visa over-stays), a civil offense.

There are those who committed illegal entry. (Misdemeanor, I believe)

There are those who committed illegal re-entry, ie, after already having been deported >1 (Felony, I believe).

And there are those who cross the border to present themselves at a port of entry for asylum are asylum-seekers.

If you're super-duper hung up on words and you want to call the first three "illegal immigrants", have at it. But please don't be one of those people who melts when another person chooses to call them "undocumented immigrants", or "undocumented alien" or "illegal alien" or "illegal", or whatever. The fourth, however, are doing exactly what the law tells them to do (that is, when Trump is not illegally turning them away despite their having followed the law, or illegally separating & detaining them)

Federal law allows them to seek asylum as of right after being in the states for up to 1 year. After 1 year, they can still seek it through there are more conditions. Please stop lying about everything in your quest to be a good Trumpist.

What a bunch of partisan nonsense. The left forms sanctuary cities, a sanctuary state, gives illegals driver's licenses, mostly free healthcare, allows them to be counted in the census, and lets illegals vote in local elections and some how the left claims it is the right who give the incentives to illegals to come here.

Where is the part of immigrant employees of a well connected local business owner being just as likely to be vetted by the authorities as immigrant employees working for a non-connected, non-political business owner? The very law God y'all worship, Sheriff Joe Arpaio, is walking proof.

Correction: If they cross the border seeking asylum, they are not an immigrant, they are a refugee.

Re: the OP: Yes, there is such a thing as an illegal immigrant.

Wrong. They are not a refugee until the US determines they are a refugee.

There are people who are unlawfully present (mainly visa over-stays), a civil offense.

There are those who committed illegal re-entry, ie, after already having been deported >1 (Felony, I believe).

And there are those who cross the border to present themselves at a port of entry for asylum are asylum-seekers.

If you're super-duper hung up on words and you want to call the first three "illegal immigrants", have at it. But please don't be one of those people who melts when another person chooses to call them "undocumented immigrants", or "undocumented alien" or "illegal alien" or "illegal", or whatever. The fourth, however, are doing exactly what the law tells them to do (that is, when Trump is not illegally turning them away despite their having followed the law, or illegally separating & detaining them)

Federal law allows them to seek asylum as of right after being in the states for up to 1 year. After 1 year, they can still seek it through there are more conditions. Please stop lying about everything in your quest to be a good Trumpist.

Anyone who crosses the border can say they are requesting asylum. That's the point.

Does the federal law say they can illegally cross the border, stay in the country for a year...avoiding detection...and then request asylum...and not be considered an illegal alien?

When they enter the country in that manner, they are an illegal alien. If they then ask for asylum, they are an illegal alien who is asking for asylum.

Where is the part of immigrant employees of a well connected local business owner being just as likely to be vetted by the authorities as immigrant employees working for a non-connected, non-political business owner? The very law God y'all worship, Sheriff Joe Arpaio, is walking proof.

Talk to me about it after the left quits with sanctuary cities, a sanctuary state, gives illegals driver's licenses, mostly free healthcare, allows them to be counted in the census, and lets illegals vote in local elections.

Wrong. They are not a refugee until the US determines they are a refugee.

Wrong.

ref·u·gee
/ˌrefyo͝oˈjē/

noun

noun: refugee; plural noun: refugees

a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.

But your sense of American entitlement to change definitions is adorable. ;)

Wrong.

ref·u·gee
/ˌrefyo͝oˈjē/

noun

noun: refugee; plural noun: refugees

a person who has been forced to leave their country in order to escape war, persecution, or natural disaster.

But your sense of American entitlement to change definitions is adorable. ;)

The US is the one who determines if a person meets that definition...according to US laws.

I don't know...maybe Canada will take some person's word for it, but here in the US, we check it out and decided for ourselves.

Does the federal law say they can illegally cross the border, stay in the country for a year...avoiding detection...and then request asylum...and not be considered an illegal alien?

When they enter the country in that manner, they are an illegal alien. If they then ask for asylum, they are an illegal alien who is asking for asylum.

Repeating your stupid bull**** doesn't make it right.

They can cross "illegally" and request asylum as of right up to one year in, regardless of immigration status, no matter what Internet Trumpist Mycroft says.

:shrug:

Start with the government's own website on it:

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/refugees-asylum/asylum

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/refugees-asylum/asylum/obtaining-asylum-united-states

"You may apply for asylum if you are at a port of entry or in the United States. You may apply for asylum regardless of your immigration status and within one year of your arrival to the United States."

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/...d-answers-asylum-eligibility-and-applications

More links you will not read and then lie about:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-asylum-laws-what-to-know/

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/federa...-of-new-trump-restrictions-on-asylum-seekers/

Last edited:

Yes, this was the logical fallacy the Left used. I don't even call them immigrant. That's an insult to actual immigrants who come to America legally, respecting our laws, respecting our process, don't hop in line in front of people coming here legally and understanding it's a privilege and not a right. Illegal aliens eschew all of the above.
They are illegal aliens. That's the correct term.

The US is the one who determines if a person meets that definition...according to US laws.

I don't know...maybe Canada will take some person's word for it, but here in the US, we check it out and decided for ourselves.

So, guilty until proven innocent? :lamo I'll remember that. ;)

Talk to me about it after the left quits with sanctuary cities, a sanctuary state, gives illegals driver's licenses, mostly free healthcare, allows them to be counted in the census, and lets illegals vote in local elections.

Why? I've never enjoyed talking to you. That's why I generally avoid it.

So, guilty until proven innocent? :lamo I'll remember that. ;)

It's a case of people who should not be here in the first place. I don't care what their reason was. If they want to come here legally then they should come in through the front door, not an underground tunnel.

Back
Top Bottom