• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is there life after death?

Do you believe in 'life' after death?

• Total voters
digsbe's posts pretty much sum up what I would say.

No disrespect taken :cool:

My belief in the afterlife is what I believe the Bible describes it as. I believe in a heaven and hell and in a new incarnated earth. I believe in heaven we will have glorified bodies as the Bible says (not mindless spirits). I believe we will have relationships with others, be with God, have jobs, and live a perfect eternal life. I don't believe in the typical chubby angels and mindless spirits floating on clouds image.

How do you suppose you will live a "perfect eternal life" if your loved ones- possibly your spouse, parents, and children- are all suffering eternal torment in hell?
Do you suppose this will simply cease to bother you after awhile?

Having yet to see any reliable evidence of life after death, it seems highly unlikely, but not impossible.

No disrespect taken :cool:

My belief in the afterlife is what I believe the Bible describes it as. I believe in a heaven and hell and in a new incarnated earth. I believe in heaven we will have glorified bodies as the Bible says (not mindless spirits). I believe we will have relationships with others, be with God, have jobs, and live a perfect eternal life. I don't believe in the typical chubby angels and mindless spirits floating on clouds image.

my idea of heaven certainly DOES NOT include a job.

My own beliefs on an afterlife are very similar to Korimyr's. I don't know if it is really true or not, but it makes me feel good. I don't live my life for my afterlife though. I live my life according to what I think is right, whether there is an afterlife or not. I have no idea what would make any afterlife I might go into more or less desirable anyway. If there is no afterlife, then it really doesn't matter if I believed there was one or not. If there is an afterlife, then no one can truly know 100% what that afterlife will be like or what qualifications must be met to reach the most ideal part of that afterlife, so I have to live for what I believe is good right now without worrying about it.

My own beliefs on an afterlife are very similar to Korimyr's. I don't know if it is really true or not, but it makes me feel good. I don't live my life for my afterlife though. I live my life according to what I think is right, whether there is an afterlife or not. I have no idea what would make any afterlife I might go into more or less desirable anyway. If there is no afterlife, then it really doesn't matter if I believed there was one or not. If there is an afterlife, then no one can truly know 100% what that afterlife will be like or what qualifications must be met to reach the most ideal part of that afterlife, so I have to live for what I believe is good right now without worrying about it.

one thousand thanks.

I believe there's an afterlife. ... Yeah. My latest sort of conclusion is that whoever lives on this planet and accepts the 'job' (sorry, LL) will be angels on other planets with other life forms.

Sort of.

Does that make any sense?

I do not want to live after I die. When I'm through, I'd prefer to rest in peace.

Me, too.
I think, as in Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire, I'd go crazy after a few centuries if I were immortal.

If there isn't, you will never know.
If there is, you will.

1. The soul is immortal.
2. A person's fate in the afterlife is self-imposed.
In other words we are our own judge, jury, and executioner.

1. The soul is immortal.
2. A person's fate in the afterlife is self-imposed.
In other words we are our own judge, jury, and executioner.

I don't believe in ensoulment.

No, I don't believe in life after death, for two reasons.
1. I have never seen any compelling evidence for it...
Thus, faith.

2. A life after death presupposes a soul. There is, however, decently compelling evidence against the existence of a soul. A soul would be, by definition, immaterial. But at the same time, it would have to be capable of interacting with the material world, otherwise, it would have no mechanism by which it could influence the behavior of its host body.
THis is curious.
Why do you assume that only the material can interact with the material world?
Doesnt this very much depend on the specific properties of the material and immaterial?
Further, isnt this based on your understanding of the material world? Isnt it quite possible that your understanding is incomplete?

I am of the C. S. Lewis school of thought. "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."

I am of the C. S. Lewis school of thought. "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."

Well, maybe only some people have (or are) "souls", then.
I certainly won't presume to tell you that you're wrong, if you feel you have one.
I can say with absolute conviction, however, that I don't.

I like Lewis works, one of my favorite quote:

"There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, in the end, 'Thy will be done.' All that are in Hell chose it."
CS Lewis
The Great Divorce

' All that are in Hell chose it."
That's the beauty of free will - in the end, you have no one to blame but yourself.

It's not that I don't believe Unicorns don't exist. It's more like I know they don't exist so I don't go around trying to disprove their existence to validate what I already know to be true. The burden of proof is on others claiming that unicorns exist to produce said unicorns. Until then, I'll go about the world knowing that they don't exist. Same goes for leprechauns, ogres and dumb Asian kids.

It's not that I don't believe Unicorns don't exist.
I don't want to not disagree, nor didn't I not disagree negatively not positively and didn't not believe Unicorns don't not exist either.

:roll:

....I'll go about the world knowing that they don't exist. Same goes for leprechauns, ogres and dumb Asian kids.
I know several of these.

I noticed you didn't address the issue of leprechauns and ogres but only the Asian kids. Why not?
The most obvious answer is that I know several dumb asian kids.
:shrug:

The most obvious answer is that I know several dumb asian kids.
:shrug:

You also know that leprechauns and ogres don't exist. Correct? Or do you believe in their existence too?

Back
Top Bottom